Jump to content
Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:


Lol. Poor Bodge. He does love a peeve before, during and after a game eh!!

We need to start a campaign to un-ban Sinky, his 'f**k the Pars' routine was priceless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We need to start a campaign to un-ban Sinky, his 'f**k the Pars' routine was priceless.
Wasn't priceless for him though, club legend as he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to McGlynns interview and now slightly worried. Thinks that Bowie and Smith will score us the goals which has to win us promotion. Sorry but I don't think they will. Appears McKay will be our right back shoehorned in there to allow Davo and Bene to play centre half, two players that contributed to virtually no clean sheets last season. Not much business to do, again we were told a squad of 21/22, Bowie and Tait may be signed but modern apprentices so really shouldn't be part of the 21/22 so I would have thought 6 players to come in, sounds like maybe 3 or 4 max.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.

When John departed from his first stint in the job he came back for a Q&A with Grant Murray and revealed that he was delighted that Hearts had loaned the players we had for about five bob a month, never mind the return of the Witch, this is the sort of magic we need back at Starks Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Last week we lost Murray and Nisbet, that's two starting slots to fill and 2 wages freed up to do so.

The playing budget we have for this year is less than last year. We are going to have less players and cheaper players so thinking that 2 out equals 2 to come in might not be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. 

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.

If it means another season of Bene/Davo partnership then I'm NOT happy with mckay out on the right

Grant Anderson hasn't scored more than 8 goals in one season in his career. He's not going to start now. Agreed he's not a permanent striker but we've discarded Buchanan who pretty much guarantees double figures each season. That's madness considering we were likely to lose Nisbet anyway

Your comments on Bowie & Smith, well intentioned as they are, are nothing more than wishful thinking. We need goalscorers and can't team up 2 teenagers expecting them to win matches 

He has to have a blinding loan market performance imo. Maybe Dom Thomas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm delighted with the £40k for Muza, he'll soon have the barcodes screaming abuse at him as he backpeddles off attackers allowing them time to set their sights (easily his biggest fault). Yes I'd have been ok with him staying but I'd far rather have McKay and that £40k.

The likelihood is that any transfer money received will go to reducing our new pitch debts and won’t be funneled into the playing budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to McGlynns interview we’re going in a new direction. No right back again and no strikers.cant wait to see our goal tally drop big style.

 

So we’re putting our hopes on Smith and Bowie to get the goals. We don’t know what Vaughan we’ll get back after 2 acl’s. McGlynn says he’s happy with the squad as is. Hmm, me personally I think he’s lost his mind. We scored a shit ton of goals last season with established strikers, to a shit ton of zero.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

We need to start a campaign to un-ban Sinky, his 'f**k the Pars' routine was priceless.

Missed this, what happened ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

So according to McGlynns interview we’re going in a new direction. No right back again and no strikers.cant wait to see our goal tally drop big style.

 

So we’re putting our hopes on Smith and Bowie to get the goals. We don’t know what Vaughan we’ll get back after 2 acl’s. McGlynn says he’s happy with the squad as is. Hmm, me personally I think he’s lost his mind. We scored a shit ton of goals last season with established strikers, to a shit ton of zero.

 

Thats not what he said. At all.

Last summer, at this point we only had Buchanan and Duggan as 'established' strikers with Vaughan struggling for fitness. Buchanan, lets not forget, didnt get double figures the previous year. Duggan had 15 from his season with EF.

We signed Nisbet and the fans had zero confidence he'd amount to anything.

Every year is the same, worrying about where the goals are coming from. Anderson isn't intended as a permanent solution,  but McG is curious to see if he can be disruptive up top and the squad is demonstratably too small for a league campaign. McGlynn knows that.

Like last Summer there isn't exactly a slew of 'name' strikers floating about without clubs. League 1 wasn't exactly full of guys who'd you think would be making us a better team either. Its the middle of June and we'll need to see who else comes in, or a definitive statement saying we're done, before panicking. As soemone else wrote, McGlynn can't exactly say on camera that he's desperate for strikers, for one his faith in the young guys might be real enough, for another any agent watching a video of McGlynn putting put an sos for strikers will be shoving 20% on their clients demands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panic merchants back out in force again I see. We are 4 weeks from the season starting, McGlynn will bring a loan striker in and he has others coming in on trial, nowhere has he said our striking options for the full season will be Anderson, Smith and Bowie only.

We always assume the strikers coming in on trial won’t be much use but you just never know. Let’s not forget Nisbet arrived on trial last year and was signed after impressing. Whilst the likelihood of that repeating itself is slim it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that someone on trial might impress enough for a contract and do a job. We also don’t know if he’s put offers out to other strikers (Henderson) who will be weighing up offers from several other teams and as such he is unlikely to comment on it at this stage.

As said before, the last time we won this league it was a loan striker who did the business and given McGlynn’s record in that market I’m pretty confident we’ll bring in a decent player through this avenue once again. 

Finally, how many times do we see people complaining about us not developing our own young players or them not getting enough chances? Yet when the managers speaks highly of two promising young strikers and indicates he’ll give them a chance to impress in  preseason, these same people start to panic. Bowie in particular looks a very good prospect at 17. Whilst he shouldn’t be relied on as first choice, I’d hate to see 4 strikers come in and block his pathway to the first team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the season before, when we signed Spence and Buchanan to much acclaim. It turned into a disaster. Neither managed double figures and we were comprehensively outscored by Ayr. Only Vaughan made the whole thing look even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, renton said:

Thats not what he said. At all.

Last summer, at this point we only had Buchanan and Duggan as 'established' strikers with Vaughan struggling for fitness. Buchanan, lets not forget, didnt get double figures the previous year. Duggan had 15 from his season with EF.

We signed Nisbet and the fans had zero confidence he'd amount to anything.

Every year is the same, worrying about where the goals are coming from. Anderson isn't intended as a permanent solution,  but McG is curious to see if he can be disruptive up top and the squad is demonstratably too small for a league campaign. McGlynn knows that.

Like last Summer there isn't exactly a slew of 'name' strikers floating about without clubs. League 1 wasn't exactly full of guys who'd you think would be making us a better team either. Its the middle of June and we'll need to see who else comes in, or a definitive statement saying we're done, before panicking. As soemone else wrote, McGlynn can't exactly say on camera that he's desperate for strikers, for one his faith in the young guys might be real enough, for another any agent watching a video of McGlynn putting put an sos for strikers will be shoving 20% on their clients demands.

This

 

Expecting Victoria and Spencer to chip in with 10 goals each this season as well, there definitely will be at least 1 striker in imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats not what he said. At all.
Last summer, at this point we only had Buchanan and Duggan as 'established' strikers with Vaughan struggling for fitness. Buchanan, lets not forget, didnt get double figures the previous year. Duggan had 15 from his season with EF.
We signed Nisbet and the fans had zero confidence he'd amount to anything.
Every year is the same, worrying about where the goals are coming from. Anderson isn't intended as a permanent solution,  but McG is curious to see if he can be disruptive up top and the squad is demonstratably too small for a league campaign. McGlynn knows that.
Like last Summer there isn't exactly a slew of 'name' strikers floating about without clubs. League 1 wasn't exactly full of guys who'd you think would be making us a better team either. Its the middle of June and we'll need to see who else comes in, or a definitive statement saying we're done, before panicking. As soemone else wrote, McGlynn can't exactly say on camera that he's desperate for strikers, for one his faith in the young guys might be real enough, for another any agent watching a video of McGlynn putting put an sos for strikers will be shoving 20% on their clients demands.

In all honesty I was still waking up from a long haul flight home. I’m glad you filtered your thoughts in the interview more clearly. I just felt a wee bit underwhelmed. I do understand we have constraints via budget. But we MUST reach out to potential investors. We know they’re out there. It’s just giving them a wee push. I’d be happy to donate in a player fund as was talked about a while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, renton said:

Even the season before, when we signed Spence and Buchanan to much acclaim. It turned into a disaster. Neither managed double figures and we were comprehensively outscored by Ayr. Only Vaughan made the whole thing look even.

Out scored by Ayr, who’s main scorer was signed after the season started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.


Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything

Raith seem to have got a fair bit weaker, after finishing third, in a league that is now stronger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And calmly pointing out areas of concern has people reaching for the "Ach, you're just panicking" statement 

No panic here. I'll refrain from moaning about our squad imbalance until a set time into the season but I'll only get the "what do you expect for buttons" response

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, renton said:

That's not what he said.    At all.

 

You are absolutely correct, he did not say that!

Clearly McGlynn has more negotiations going on but, for some, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Cannot win  :unsure:

However, let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a panic attack.....:shutup.......just surprised there has been no mention of relegation.........yet.:whistle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

 


Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything

Raith seem to have got a fair bit weaker, after finishing third, in a league that is now stronger

 

Nah, midfield us on paper at least far stronger than it wad last season. Defence is probably about the same, albeit having McKay start even if its at right back would be an improvement.

Up top is obviously where we've suffered the biggest loss, but we've got time to rectify that. We won't replace Nisbet pound for pound, but not panicking yet about finding a forward line that can do a job. 

Big if, but getting and keeping Vuaghan, Dingwall and Hendry fit over the season and we'd be stronger through the team than we were last season, where our very ordinary team was kept going by Nisbet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...