Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think lyness is a waste of a wage in that it would be better spent on a part time or a loan. Thomson is full time and the witch is the witch with added coaching skills.

Unless mcglynn has some drastic changes in terms of coaching or motivation they defence still gives me the fear, perhaps he's putting all his eggs in having a far better midfield to help out the defence?

13 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Um, okay. So we're not getting many, if any, more new signings any time soon...

The plan is for Grant Anderson to be used as the main striker for now, and it sounds very much like right-back is Dave McKay's to lose.

Vaughan won't be back until September. Dingwall may be slightly later than that.

We've offered a contract to Dean Lyness, but he's still to make up his mind.

I trust John McGlynn entirely, but I didn't exactly love what I heard there. He's asking us to take a lot on faith.

So, horrifically our team probably looks like this:

McKay---Davo---Bene---Macdonald

Matthews---Spencer---Hendry---Victoria

----Anderson----?

On 14/06/2019 at 18:37, renton said:

Dunno what bringing in Anderson and Victoria has to do with Nisbet and Buchanan leaving. Clearly different roles being filled.

Need to see who we bring in up top. Traditionally a difficult berth to fill, and a lot of luck required to get it right

As I feared, we're going to rely on those 2 guys to give us 2 of the 4 players Bill Clark wanted to provide double figure goal hauls this season in respect of Nisbet leaving. 

The biggest crime, however, is completely no mention of looking for a right back. 

I've no issues with our midfield though,thats looking good. But I've still got the F.E.A.R.

So, horrifically our team probably looks like this:
McKay---Davo---Bene---Macdonald
Matthews---Spencer---Hendry---Victoria
----Anderson----?

"You were so preoccupied with playing centre halfs at right back, you didn't stop to think about Matthews playing right wing again" or something. f**k sake! I'm going to greet.

And judging by the interview, your question mark would be replaced by Bowie.

It's a God awful small affair.

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

"You were so preoccupied with playing centre halfs at right back, you didn't stop to think about Matthews playing right wing again" or something. f**k sake! I'm going to greet.

And judging by the interview, your question mark would be replaced by Bowie.

Having watched it, he was leaning very much on Bowie and Smith which, given his previous reticence with playing young guys, speaks volumes. Also seems like he knows who he wants when the loan market opens up.

Assume we still get Miller and McGeever, then our principle weakness is right mid and up top. There will be some guys coming in next week to train with the team (going by previous posts). I don't think we are done with signings, and he didn't seem to say we wouldnt be signing anyone but it does seem like he's done with his list of targets and what happens next is going to be a question of scouring trialists, loans etc.

Having watched it, he was leaning very much on Bowie and Smith which, given his previous reticence with playing young guys, speaks volumes. Also seems like he knows who he wants when the loan market opens up.
Assume we still get Miller and McGeever, then our principle weakness is right mid and up top. There will be some guys coming in next week to train with the team (going by previous posts). I don't think we are done with signings, and he didn't seem to say we wouldnt be signing anyone but it does seem like he's done with his list of targets and what happens next is going to be a question of scouring trialists, loans etc.

That’s what I got from it, he knows exactly who he wants in the loan market.
I also suspect despite what he said, I reckon there’s offers been made to a few more players out there... Step up Blair Henderson 🤞🏻

Ground control to John McGlynn...

Yeah Matthews is wasted playing wide right. Get him in the middle.

I can't pretend to be over excited at who we've signed so far (Hendry aside), but it's far too early to press the panic button. 

On the eve of the 2008/09 season we seemed to be short up front then McGlynn managed to get Kevin Smith on loan from Dundee United. If my memory serves me correctly that didn't turn out too badly. Hopefully he has something similar up his sleeve this time. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Body in Kirkcaldy

Specs still in Spain...

Didn’t get the impression McGlynn planned on using Matthews wide at all to be honest, although of course it doesn’t meant it won’t happen. He was raving about his energy and tackling, which isn’t as useful when you’re on the wing.

Striker situation isn’t quite as grim as made out either, I didn’t get the impression Anderson was the long-term solution up front but more a little bit of a stop gap alongside Smith and Bowie until the loan market opens and Vaughan returns. He was very positive about Smith/Bowie so I suspect they’ll be given a fair shot in the Betfred Cup.

He didn’t explicitly say McKay will be playing right back but I got the impression he just wants to see a bit more from him. Certainly suggested he could play there.

And it definitely sounds like Lyness will return, which I’m not particularly pleased about.

Slightly more worried than before, but we know there’s space for more in the squad... no point signing people for the sake of it. Right?

Someone tell me I’m right.

Seemed to me, mcglynn actually has a lot of faith in Bowie and Smith. Both have shown their potential in the time they had last season. He clearly has a loan player he really wants for up front though so hopefully we get him. If we don't though, imagine if Bowie, with all his physical attributes next to Smith with his pace etc turned into a great partnership.

Matthews is going to be the lower league brown now without a doubt. Hard worker who loves a tackle and sends the opposition to the other side of the world. Iv berated davo, more than most probably but I'll give him a clean slate for next season. I don't want him starting every week and would rather mckay was in there but it's a new season and considering he was poty the previous, he can hopefully step it up again.

He got every target he had attempted to get in the first week. He will have had other targets he couldn't approach etc at that stage.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

Didn’t get the impression McGlynn planned on using Matthews wide at all to be honest, although of course it doesn’t meant it won’t happen. He was raving about his energy and tackling, which isn’t as useful when you’re on the wing.

Striker situation isn’t quite as grim as made out either, I didn’t get the impression Anderson was the long-term solution up front but more a little bit of a stop gap alongside Smith and Bowie until the loan market opens and Vaughan returns. He was very positive about Smith/Bowie so I suspect they’ll be given a fair shot in the Betfred Cup.

He didn’t explicitly say McKay will be playing right back but I got the impression he just wants to see a bit more from him. Certainly suggested he could play there.

And it definitely sounds like Lyness will return, which I’m not particularly pleased about.

Slightly more worried than before, but we know there’s space for more in the squad... no point signing people for the sake of it. Right?

Someone tell me I’m right.

Your right.

Close season is ridiculously short these days thanks to the league cup. A couple of years back people would be supremely relaxed about not having the team down in the middle of June.

... and yeah, no point signing warm bodies for the sake of it. Down that path lies Lewis Milne.

Cant defo see that McGlynn has faith in Bowie and Smith which you could sort of tell from Clarks interview. I do think he’s slightly overplaying the situation though as he may be negotiating with players who think they can ask for more as we as desperate for a forward. Would be keen to know who this forward is that he is very keen to get on loan.

30 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Cant defo see that McGlynn has faith in Bowie and Smith which you could sort of tell from Clarks interview. I do think he’s slightly overplaying the situation though as he may be negotiating with players who think they can ask for more as we as desperate for a forward. Would be keen to know who this forward is that he is very keen to get on loan.

I’ll take a stab in the dark and say Harry Paton.

In the whole time I’ve watched Kieran at Airdrie I’ve yet to see him put a decent cross in dunno where Baldy gets that from and I’ve watched him week in week out

I’ll take a stab in the dark and say Harry Paton.
Paton's a midfielder from what I can see, so I hope not. Whoever it is, we need him to be more Kevin Smith than Craig Wighton, that's for sure.

Paton's a midfielder from what I can see, so I hope not. Whoever it is, we need him to be more Kevin Smith than Craig Wighton, that's for sure.
Ones managed to remain in the premiership, the other is Kevin Smith and yet I agree with you 100%

Last week we lost Murray and Nisbet, that's two starting slots to fill and 2 wages freed up to do so.

More sorry to have lost Nizzy but unless McGlynn can find a ready made replacement within budget then a loan man it'll have to be.

I'd rather Murray's wage was used to bring in a RB and Bene, McKay and Davo were used as centre backs.