The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

FTFY

Bit of desperation sneaking in here, trying to justify some way that your manager didn't just spend actual money on a league 1 centre back, none of you have ever heard of who was part of one of the shittiest defences in Scotland.

Just now, renton said:

Bit of desperation sneaking in here, trying to justify some way that your manager didn't just spend actual money on a league 1 centre back, none of you have ever heard of who was part of one of the shittiest defences in Scotland.

Not really desperation. Just find it funny that your best players turn to ratshit the moment they leave. Every. Single. Time.

We got a decent fee for Jacko and are redistributing it down the leagues. You should be grateful.

Another year of Davidson after losing Murray and Nisbet is fucking gutting.
£40k I would be very happy with. Anything above his salary  (and surely we weren't playing him £40k) was a good deal. 

Just because he’s training, doesn’t mean he’s signed. I’m not doubting he will but lets pray he doesn’t. No doubt has quality as we seen in both Queens games but doesn’t do it often enough and can’t imagine his attitude having a positive impact in the changing room.

With Murray going has that potentially changed mcglynn plans regarding signings?

We now need to replace him as a centre half and ideally a centre half that can play along the back 4 if needed.

Davidson better not be any more than cover or getting used in games against hammer throwers as an enforcer. 

1 minute ago, da_no_1 said:

Not really desperation. Just find it funny that your best players turn to ratshit the moment they leave. Every. Single. Time.

We got a decent fee for Jacko and are redistributing it down the leagues. You should be grateful.

Except that's not what's happened. In the last 3 instances we've got M'Voto, Murray and Nisbet:

In Nisbet's case, the praise from Rovers fans has been fairly fulsome beyond a couple of brain donors on Twitter. I know I've given a pretty glowing review of the guy. The fact is that if he was doing that over more than a season he'd have probably bypassed the Pars altogether, but as he's only got the one good season under his belt it's a good match up for him - big year ahead. Does that again and he'll be activating another clause this time next year.

As for Murray, again plenty of balanced reviews of the guy, all pointing to his versatility across the back 4. The fact is that no one who's seen him over the last season was thinking someone would be desperate to pay money for the guy. He's probably championship standard right enough, but the point is that he's certainly not better than that standard. I'm pretty sure you could've filled the gaps in your team from free agents without splashing out a reasonable wedge on him. We're happy with the money, as much as he was good for us - he's not exactly indispensable at our level, let alone yours.

M'Voto, aye you got big licks out of signing 'our player of the year' - well, he was fucking shite all year. Can only imagine that the infirm of mind who vote on those things liked harking back to an age when centre backs could head the ball but had the close control of a cruise ship. He was worse than mince at times. A fact you guys surely cottoned onto.

I don't really class being happy to receive a 40k fee for a decent League 1 defender, who has never proven himself at any level higher, as saying he turned to rat shit. 

He may very well go on to be very good for the Pars, fair play if he does, but Murray would be far from irreplaceable even before that fee. 

Yeah some seemed to enjoy his no nonsense style of defending which quickly descended into just nonsense.

Il miss Murray he was a good player to have around and although signed as a centre half played most of his games solidly at left back. Like Renton I'm surprised we got cash for him but gladly take it.

2 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Bit of a lack of respect for Iain Davidson. How many games has he played for Raith, over how many years? 

You'd better hope he's not looking in...

He's closing in on 450 games and if he signs again, will be 13? i think. I don't think he can start every game now, but he'd be good as cover and for the odd game here and there. He's not as bad as folk here make you believe.

Edited by RRPT

Just now, RRPT said:

He's closing in on 450 games. I don't think he can start every game now, but he'd be good as cover and for the odd game here and there. He's not as bad as folk here make you believe.

He saved you guys from a severe doing at Palmerston in the play-offs...