The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, renton said:

If nothing else we'll definitely be needing an actual right back now.

We definitely need to sign another centre half.  I'm a big Davo fan, but he can't be any more than a backup this season if he signs.

Euan Murray has been our best defender for the last two years, and he hasn't been particularly well utilised. He's had to fill in for others rather than playing to his own strengths, but he's still outperformed our more established defenders.

Flipping the tables though, I don't think I'd pay (say) £30,000 for him. He's untested at Championship level, and our defensive unit as a whole was really very poor last year.

I don't see that he's been so much of a standout to justify that kind of money, when you could get him for a bag of bibs in January.

Just now, RRPT said:

We definitely need to sign another centre half.  I'm a big Davo fan, but he can't be any more than a backup this season if he signs.

Bene, McGeever and Mckay (if he signs)?

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

Euan Murray has been our best defender for the last two years, and he hasn't been particularly well utilised. He's had to fill in for others rather than playing to his own strengths, but he's still outperformed our more established defenders.

Flipping the tables though, I don't think I'd pay (say) £30,000 for him. He's untested at Championship level, and our defensive unit as a whole was really very poor last year.

I don't see that he's been so much of a standout to justify that kind of money, when you could get him for a bag of bibs in January.

Imagine his utility across the whole back 4 is a big selling point if your running a smaller squad. Still though, he'll be a solid enough championship defender but not so above average that you couldn't have found similar for f**k all I'd have thought.

If we have got a five figure sum then that is a very, very good deal for us. 

You know a five figure sum could be ten thousand pounds right?

Ok, so it’s better than the old boards habit of letting contracted players go for nothing but that’s not a “very, very good deal” for someone like Murray in my opinion.

I’d rather keep him unless the fee was enough to pay for another player for a year.

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

You know a five figure sum could be ten thousand pounds right?

Ok, so it’s better than the old boards habit of letting contracted players go for nothing but that’s not a “very, very good deal” for someone like Murray in my opinion.

I’d rather keep him unless the fee was enough to pay for another player for a year.

We'll need to see if the board gives a figure but "high" 5 figure sum would be stretching even the DR's journalistic standards for truth if it were only 1 pound higher than a 4 figure sum.

Edited by renton

Has someone famously back tracked out of an agreement with RR in the past that you're so reluctant to announce without it all being 100% signed and stamped? Genuine question, I get the impression I've missed something.

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

Has someone famously back tracked out of an agreement with RR in the past that you're so reluctant to announce without it all being 100% signed and stamped? Genuine question, I get the impression I've missed something.

Makes no difference as he was shite anyhow! 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

Paul McManus. Agreed a contract extension and then when you guys came in with a better offer he ripped our contract up after we announced he had resigned. 

Paul McManus wasn’t it? Paraded as our player then changed his mind and signed for East Fife?

Just now, Wardy said:

Paul McManus. Agreed a contract extension and then when you guys came in with a better offer he ripped our contract up after we announced he had resigned. 

Aye, it was a typo or a badly worded clause or some such bullshit on the contract that made it null and void, making him a free agent.