The New Raith Rovers Thread

I see Boaby Linn limped off at Station Park yesterday after an hour, some Smokies on their thread are sounding worried.

Be a real shame if one of the leagues outstanding players wasn't able to feature in their run-in.

I genuinely hope it's nothing too serious (ie just a minor niggle that keeps him out for the next 5 weeks or so).

7 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I see Boaby Linn limped off at Station Park yesterday after an hour, some Smokies on their thread are sounding worried.

Be a real shame if one of the leagues outstanding players wasn't able to feature in their run-in.

I genuinely hope it's nothing too serious (ie just a minor niggle that keeps him out for the next 5 weeks or so).

Image result for emoji grasping at straws

:thumsup2:thumsup2

Why do Raith call Dunfermline townies when Kirkcaldy is a town and called the lang toon?

Because Dunfermline had (have?) a sign up noting they are the City of Dunfermline.

To be fair, Dunfermline was the ancient capital of Scotland and has a few kings buried there so fair do.

Has McGlynn finally found the solution to our away problems. Yesterday (like Arbroath in December) he went with a more solid formation with guys that dig in and win the battles, then later on when the home part-time teams are tiring bring on the wide men who can then hurt them.

Starting the likes of Flanagan or McGuffie away from home is a huge problem as they are far too soft and get bullied then fall totally out of the game, so when it comes to the home team tiring later in the game the likes of Flanagan & McGuffie are a busted flush with no energy to take advantage, where as when they come on fresh they can and do make a huge difference.

Hopefully he now shows some consistency in a winning team selection and stops trying to be too clever with changing it all the time, to bring out consistency in good results away from home. It might not always be the prettiest but if it gets results that’s what we need, rather than getting bored with hearing from the management we play the best football but don’t win!!!!!

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

Why do Raith call Dunfermline townies when Kirkcaldy is a town and called the lang toon?

I don't think any Dunfermline fan has ever been wound up by it tbf, odd nickname. I think it transcends football though, people from Cowdenbeath who have no interest refer to people from Dunfermline as townies. 

Has McGlynn finally found the solution to our away problems.

I'm a big fan of McGlynn but without wanting to sound too negative, probably not. The team were booed off at half time yesterday and were minutes from being slaughtered at full time. You could feel the crowd getting more and more agitated with every backwards pass. Had that finished 0-1, or even 1-1, we'd have been slating them. Up until the final 10 minutes it all just felt very much the same as every other week. Pass, pass, pass and then a poor ball into the final third. We probably can't rely on Flanagan to play well every week either, although he was brilliant when he was brought on yesterday.
The biggest positive for me the last 2 games is Gullan. I reckon he could be vital if we have any hope of going up.

In saying that, maybe I'm wrong and McGlynn knew we'd grab two at the end.

Can I ask Raith fans who's been worse Smith or McGlynn? I'm not coming here as a Smith fanboy, it was a horrific end to the season last season and he could have had no qualms if you bulleted him! More the fact that McGlynn seems to have been an absolute disaster since being reappointed? Did Smith not leave you top of the league?

Laurie Ellis wouldn't be the worst idea for next season?

After 5 games we were top yes. That’s not a sample size worth even discussing.

McGlynn hasn’t been a disaster. We’ve dropped stupid points, yes, but he’s using another manager’s squad. We signed Regan Hendry who looked an absolute baller, who then got crocked and had to go back to Celtic. Lewis Vaughan, our best player, has been out majority of the season and is currently undergoing rehab for his second ACL rupture. 9 months.

He’s made mistakes but he is a better manager than Barry Smith.

McGlynn hasn't been a disaster but he has not offered an improvement on Smith. 

Smith signed an unbalanced squad, prepared the team poorly for the league campaign and McGlynn has largely kept on that course. Quite a lot of signings yet he has failed to address problems in the squad in two key areas (RB and CB). 

Our away form also remains as bad as ever under McGlynn. 

McGlynn won't be sacked at the season's end assuming we're still in League One, I don't think, but next season will be  a tough one given our last set of financial results. 

Edited by Michael W

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can I ask Raith fans who's been worse Smith or McGlynn? I'm not coming here as a Smith fanboy, it was a horrific end to the season last season and he could have had no qualms if you bulleted him! More the fact that McGlynn seems to have been an absolute disaster since being reappointed? Did Smith not leave you top of the league?

Laurie Ellis wouldn't be the worst idea for next season?

We were rotten in the league cup and very lucky to be joint top after 5 games. 

As disappointing as Mcglynn has been, there was plenty to suggest a tough season was ahead. 

Put it this way not many fans had faith in Smith getting us up this season and not many have faith that Mcglynn will either its certainly not been much of an improvement. 

Our away from is still poor we've lost 7 games 2 of those to East Fife and we've won less games than Forfar not to mention being so far behind Arbroath. 

Two of our worst home performances have been under Mcglynn the East Fife and Arbroath games and the crowds are falling.  Smith should have been punted after the play offs but it hasn't worked out the way some folk just took for granted. 

I’d absolutely rather have McGlynn than Smith given the summer to build a side that can win the league, presuming we don’t go up. Would be surprised if anybody had a different answer to that.

That’s not to say either did a particularly good job. You could say Smith had us joint top, but he left after four matches (some of which we were genuinely horrific in) and lost to Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers (our first ever loss to non league?) in the cup. McGlynn has generally had us playing much better but loss of key players has really exposed the cracks.

I’m still confident he’ll get it right, but this is a statement on the back of a very good away win. Might’ve been different if the whistle had went at 86 minutes yesterday...

5 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

It has its roots in the old Scots ballad Sir Patrick Spens (look it up online for wee bit of Scottish literature history.)

"The king lies in old Dunfermline toun, Drinking the bluid red wine"......etc, etc.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

McGlynn hasn't been a disaster but he has not offered an improvement on Smith. 

Smith signed an unbalanced squad, prepared the team poorly for the league campaign and McGlynn has largely kept on that course. Quite a lot of signings yet he has failed to address problems in the squad in two key areas (RB and CB). 

Our away form also remains as bad as ever under McGlynn. 

McGlynn won't be sacked at the season's end assuming we're still in League One, I don't think, but next season will be  a tough one given our last set of financial results. 

Agree

Mcglynn has not been a success story so far but similar to his last stint I think there has been an improvement in how we have played. It's not great and can be ineffectual at times but we're not pumping long balls at buchanan/ Spence for 90 minutes now. We do look to play it about a bit to stretch teams, even if it is too slow at times to work. He showed yesterday he can change a game aswell, something I don't think Smith was great at. I'd be shocked if we did go up this season but as I said yesterday given the summer window I think mcglynn will get it right.

Only thing I would question in Michael w's post is the signing a cb. We have davo, bene, Murray, mckay and Nat all able to play there so to sign another cb would be a waste. He 100% should have signed a rb, but if there wasn't anyone in that position available when he had access to funds then its understandable he didn't.