The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lets say one of us won the eureuromillion 100 million sheckles and wanted to buy the rovers would we be turned away for the fear of the.club getting Burned again

No, we probably wouldn't be turned away. I seem to recall Turnbull Hutton in the FFP saying that 100 grand would get you a place on the board.

I'd let the board and the trust (and whoever else) know that I was in the wings, with funds available. I'd tell them not to be shy, and to approach me with specific plans for specific amounts of money, with justifications.

I would hope that the board's first port of call would be clearing the debt. If the first request that came in was for funds for the playing squad, I'd have some serious reservations.

I would build a new purpose built ground with enough facilities so that it made money for the club everyday of the week and help them become self sufficient. I would also throe a bit into the youth set up perhaps get in with the scale and the new centres of excellence they are talking about.

Lets say one of us won the eureuromillion 100 million sheckles and wanted to buy the rovers would we be turned away for the fear of the.club getting Burned again

A punter asked Davie Wann that kinda question at the meeting,if an individual investor came forward would they be welcomed,answer was NO :lol:

Edited by Rovers_Lad

The thing is if I were a minted I would want rid of the entire board bit you can't have one owner I would have fans on the board and someone with a bit of business savvy

I'd pay off the debt and have absolutely nothing else to do with the club. If I was on the board, I'd balance the budget and put not a single penny more into the team, which would no doubt prove unpopular. I'd rather avoid that, and can instead hold my hands up and say that I gave the club a fresh start.

As for investment, I can't see it happening. No-one wants to invest in a crappy Scottish SFL club unless they have some odd desire to lose a few hundred grand. As far as good investments in this world go, Scottish clubs are certainly not amongst them.

Individual investors won't put money in unless they're allowed to run the show. If that isn't an option, then we can forget it. I'm not saying our stance is completely wrong - I can understand where they're coming from - but it does even more to put investors off.

I'm with David Wann completely on this one, assuming that he actually made the point that one "mega-rich" investor wouldn't be welcomed onto the board without questions being asked, a la Claude Anelka.

Pouring money into a football club's playing staff has not, is not and never will be the answer to any football club's problems.

The playing budget should be whatever is left once costs have been deducted from the club's revenue. Football club's should use external finance to either increase revenue or decrease costs, it should never be placed directly into the playing budget. All that leads to is a structure that is unsustainable and a danger to the future of the club.

If Roman Abramovich phoned up John McGlynn tomorrow and said "Do you want to take Torres on a four year deal? I'll pay his wages." then he'd have to say "No, thanks." because should Abramovich suddenly lose interest/go to jail/die the club can't afford to take on those wages and they'd be bust within hours. It's a grandiose example, but the point is the same.

The playing budget should be an isolated one, that can only be increased or decreased indirectly, by other factors.

I'm with David Wann completely on this one, assuming that he actually made the point that one "mega-rich" investor wouldn't be welcomed onto the board without questions being asked, a la Claude Anelka.

Of course he didn`t,I made that up :rolleyes:

Pouring money into a football club's playing staff has not, is not and never will be the answer to any football club's problems.

The playing budget should be whatever is left once costs have been deducted from the club's revenue. Football club's should use external finance to either increase revenue or decrease costs, it should never be placed directly into the playing budget. All that leads to is a structure that is unsustainable and a danger to the future of the club.

If Roman Abramovich phoned up John McGlynn tomorrow and said "Do you want to take Torres on a four year deal? I'll pay his wages." then he'd have to say "No, thanks." because should Abramovich suddenly lose interest/go to jail/die the club can't afford to take on those wages and they'd be bust within hours. It's a grandiose example, but the point is the same.

The playing budget should be an isolated one, that can only be increased or decreased indirectly, by other factors.

If only things were as easy as that.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Thats just not true

I do however recall not too many seasons ago Dunfermline had to inform air traffic control when they were playing at home.

Ragarding the share package deals.Hats off to those who have taken up the option but it would be nice to know what the club/BOD have done to bring in finance instead of constantly relying on the supporters.DS took up a voluntary position to bring investment into the club,whats happened?Our corporate guy was posted missing at the open meeting so no answers there.

So er aye, how many years ago was that?

Yep, you are the big team, only good times ahead for you

Not quite, It's better being in a spl relegation battle than an sfl one though.

Shows how much you know about us. We were always traditionally a footballing/attack minded side. Its only since the mid 90s that we've had a handfull of managers who prefered a workmalike approach, like the Janitor, Jocky Scott, McVeigh and now McGlynn.

Like, we just hold the British record for scoring most league goals in a season, 142 goals in 34 games - which still stands. So shut yer pus and piss off.

So mid 90s, 95 lets just say? can't get any more mid 90's than that, that's a good 16, nearly 17 years ago.

Congratulations :lol: Arbroath also hold the record as having the most goals scored in a game in Scotland, that must mean they they are the best team to watch in Scotland.

In recent history, Raith Rovers have not been good to watch, why you have gotten so defensive over such a thing is beyond me.

In recent history, Raith Rovers have not been good to watch, why you have gotten so defensive over such a thing is beyond me.

What's the matter, the pars not giving you the appropriate ego boost the now? Fact is you said never, then you changed to recent history (and depending on your idea of recent, Calderon's teams were not sore on the eye) the others weren't getting defensive aobut your second post - but rather the first one. In reality pretty much most teams in the SFL - pretty much most teams everywhere could be said to play relatively unnatractive football - such is the epoch we live in. That Mcglynn has got by with a form of the sport that emphasises an almost Vince Lombardi-esque obsession with discipline, of playing percentages of balls into boxes, of essentially griding down the opposition attritionally says far more about the oppositon than it ever will about John McGlynn.

and besides, while we are all playing nice and not getting defensive, I know enough Pars fans who would happily admit to the Pars being brutal to watch for large parts of 'recent history'. Such is the nature of things.

A punter asked Davie Wann that kinda question at the meeting,if an individual investor came forward would they be welcomed,answer was NO :lol:

He didn't actually say that a rich investor wouldn't be welcomed on to the board.

The implication was that the rich investors intentions would be scrutinised in the club's interest which I couldn't agree more with.

When he was asked if someone came forward offering to invest 1 mill for example would that said person be turned away ,he answered yes then as he was persued on external investment he attempted to waffle his way out of it .Now if anyone had and was willing to invest a 1 mill I`d expect that person would want a big say in the running of the club and rightly so but the trusts thought up concordat would not allow a single investor as it for shared ownership .I`m sure if the club was about to go tits up they wouldn`t be long in ignoring that part of the concordat

Anyway,unlikely to come across that scenario. Christ were a rudderless ship as it is with no chairman ( 100k secures the position) never mind a mystery investor.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

What's the matter, the pars not giving you the appropriate ego boost the now? Fact is you said never, then you changed to recent history (and depending on your idea of recent, Calderon's teams were not sore on the eye) the others weren't getting defensive aobut your second post - but rather the first one. In reality pretty much most teams in the SFL - pretty much most teams everywhere could be said to play relatively unnatractive football - such is the epoch we live in. That Mcglynn has got by with a form of the sport that emphasises an almost Vince Lombardi-esque obsession with discipline, of playing percentages of balls into boxes, of essentially griding down the opposition attritionally says far more about the oppositon than it ever will about John McGlynn.

and besides, while we are all playing nice and not getting defensive, I know enough Pars fans who would happily admit to the Pars being brutal to watch for large parts of 'recent history'. Such is the nature of things.

It was a hyperbole, In my lifetime(born just before the mid 90's) and certainly sinse I've been interested in football(late 90's) Raith havn't been pleasing on the eye.

Probably, we're pretty brutal to watch right now for example.