The New Raith Rovers Thread

I do.
Imagine the heads gone in deepest darkest Kirkcaldy if part-time Arbroath, East Fife & Forfar all finish above McGlynn's full-time Raith unbeatables.
Delicious.

Quite like Raith and McGuigan is top boy on the Terrace but for anyone wondering about what Frank Conner is saying go back and read the match thread between us in October. McGlynn was getting talked about like he was the messiah at that time.

24 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

McGlynn isn't a bad manager, and we'd not be getting rid of him anyway. The football is far better, but the players have let him down. Doesn't help he continues with the same defence which is letting him down, nor do his interviews, but I'd be confident he's just saving face for the cameras and tearing through the players behind closed doors. 

Today's interview is the first time he hasn't really defended the players. Can tell he's absolutely raging. 

Just now, CALDERON said:

Today's interview is the first time he hasn't really defended the players. Can tell he's absolutely raging. 

I felt Davie did really well to actually put him on the spot. I know it's not the usual style of the RaithTV guys, but they did really well to ask difficult questions and you can see McGlynn isn't happy as you say. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Quite like Raith and McGuigan is top boy on the Terrace but for anyone wondering about what Frank Conner is saying go back and read the match thread between us in October. McGlynn was getting talked about like he was the messiah at that time.

Which was completely understandable given we'd got back in a manager who has won us this league, and taken us to a Scottish Cup Semi Final. In his first game, we then went and utterly ruined Dumbarton 5-1 away from home with Vaughan, Hendry and Nisbet all playing out of their skin. The following week, Vaughan picked up an injury (again) and then three weeks later we lose 3-2 away to Forfar with our main creative midfielder Hendry getting injured for the rest of the season.  

At that point, we had every reason to be optimistic that McGlynn could turn around the deficit. Unfortunately it didn't work out the way any of us expected. The players have let McGlynn down largely, although he's got to take his share for failing to fix an utterly rotten defence who are completely bereft of any confidence, and in one particular case, footballing ability. 

2 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

I sincerely hope the board are asking some serious questions! I know the last time he was here the board were to scared to do so.

Thank f**k you're not on the board tbh. 

I thought Mcglynn wound win us the league.  His strengths in the past were exactly where we had weakness before he came in. Hasnt worked out yet but I'm prepared to give him more than a few month's. 

The mentality of the squad as a whole is soft as shit and that won't change til it can get a bit more of an overhaul. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Which was completely understandable given we'd got back in a manager who has won us this league, and taken us to a Scottish Cup Semi Final. In his first game, we then went and utterly ruined Dumbarton 5-1 away from home with Vaughan, Hendry and Nisbet all playing out of their skin. The following week, Vaughan picked up an injury (again) and then three weeks later we lose 3-2 away to Forfar with our main creative midfielder Hendry getting injured for the rest of the season.  

At that point, we had every reason to be optimistic that McGlynn could turn around the deficit. Unfortunately it didn't work out the way any of us expected. The players have let McGlynn down largely, although he's got to take his share for failing to fix an utterly rotten defence who are completely bereft of any confidence, and in one particular case, footballing ability. 

Thank f**k you're not on the board tbh. 

Would probably do a better job! Ps stop being an apologist. 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Like your good self, I've got a lot of time for RRFC, and was delighted for them when they won the League Cup & played in Europe. However, some of their fans piss me off, especially when they promote the view that being full-time makes them superior to community-based part-time clubs.

The Lichties have ambitions to be the best part-time club in Scotland. I'm right on board with that. We are not inferior to the worst full-time club in Scotland just because we are part time. Some Raith fans need to appreciate this.

Cheers for that, totally appreciate anyone who listens and comments about The Terrace and that’s very kind.

However, were the comments in October coming from people genuinely getting ahead of themselves, folk being tongue in cheek, or folk being hopeful?

There were definitely a couple in the first category, but I’m not sure it was an overwhelming majority.

*Cue multi quote of every Raith fan on here claiming we’d win the league by 15 points.

12 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Like your good self, I've got a lot of time for RRFC, and was delighted for them when they won the League Cup & played in Europe. However, some of their fans piss me off, especially when they promote the view that being full-time makes them superior to community-based part-time clubs.

The Lichties have ambitions to be the best part-time club in Scotland. I'm right on board with that. We are not inferior to the worst full-time club in Scotland just because we are part time. Some Raith fans need to appreciate this.

I take exception to that to be honest.  I don't think  being full time makes us any better or more "superior" than clubs like yourself. I, and others, are frustrated and annoyed that we don't see any benefit to that additional financial outlay, making it pointless.  

If being full time didn't give an advantage at this level, the league wouldn't have been won by full time teams for years. It's not unreasonable for us to expect to see some additional benefit over the other clubs in this league, otherwise what is the point. 

I feel all those things without a superiority complex over clubs like Arbroath. 

Edited by CALDERON

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

I take exception to that to be honest.  I don't think  being full time makes us any better than clubs like yourself. I, and others, are frustrated and annoyed that we don't see any benefit to that additional financial outlay, making it pointless.  

If being full time didn't give an advantage at this level, the league wouldn't have been won by full time teams for years. It's not unreasonable for us to expect to see some additional benefit over the other clubs in this league, otherwise what is the point. 

I feel all those things without a superiority complex over clubs like Arbroath. 

This is spot on btw. Regardless of whether top part time or bottom full time, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the basics of our players. So it's exceptionally frustrating when you see our central defenders start shelling the ball at the head of Chris Duggan 20 minutes into a game because they have a complete reluctance to play any form of pass into midfield. Similarly, we also give away the ball an incredible amount sloppily at the sides of the pitch.

Nobody expects us to be playing tiki taka, but games like today are good examples of areas we're going wrong.  Two centre halves failing to bother to hold a line or header away a long ball is very basic stuff.  The sooner we've emptied jobbers like Davidson the better. 

33 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

I sincerely hope the board are asking some serious questions. 

Like what? 

Tell us the cubic route of 343 or pack your bags? 

Or how about - spell the word 'Connor'. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

I certainly don't take exception to being in second place given the season Arbroath have had. Being 12 points behind having played a game more, however...

Far too many points have been lost from winning positions and you wonder what the point of being full time is when we find ourselves in the position we are currently in; miles off the top and not much better off the teams in 3rd and 4th. Being the lowest-placed full time team in Scotland isn't without its risks as you can end up with the dregs that couldn't get a club elsewhere. In some cases you look at what we have and are in total agreement. 

There is a mental weakness in that squad that's been there since around October 2016. 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I certainly don't take exception to being in second place given the season Arbroath have had. Being 12 points behind having played a game more, however...

Far too many points have been lost from winning positions and you wonder what the point of being full time is when we find ourselves in the position we are currently in; miles off the top and not much better off the teams in 3rd and 4th. Being the lowest-placed full time team in Scotland isn't without its risks as you can end up with the dregs that couldn't get a club elsewhere. In some cases you look at what we have and are in total agreement. 

There is a mental weakness in that squad that's been there since around October 2016. 

What's more worrying is that we've had significant player turnaround. I'd hoped the likes of Mchattie and Barr were the root cause.