The New Raith Rovers Thread

Rovers Fanzine

Would any Raith fans on P&B be interested in contributing to the fanzine?

We are aiming for an entertaining, light-hearted sort of read, mostly concentrating on the funny side of supporting Rovers and are looking for people interested in contributing.

All ideas considered.

Please PM me your contact email address so we can get in touch to learn of your ideas.

Cheers,

Andy.

The Rovers are really pushing these lower gate prices, and I think it's great.

I've already got my four ticket pack for myself, as a student the savings are phenomenal. Instead of £52 I'm getting four matches for £20! Couple that with the three matches where they've knocked three quid off my entry price and I've got enough money saved to buy a home shirt as a wee Christmas treat for myself.

Extending the 4 Ticket Offer is a great idea, with Christmas becoming bigger and bigger in people's thoughts. I've already got my Dad's four tickets bought up.

Crowd last week would suggest it wasn`t a great idea for the club finances ..Over the two games where they dropped the prices the target was 2000+ per game and which is probably what they budgeted for.Ended up being 500 below 4000 over the two games.

Never mind,as long as the students are happy ;)

Its a tough call either way, The Board are damned either way it would seem. Have to commend the effort though and hope that through the next month and a bit there's enough spare cash in peoples' pockets to take up these offers or we won't see them again.

The lead up to Christmas is always a horror period for clubs finances due to fans other priorities, but, the holiday season can also bring a wee surge in gates providing the weather plays ball.

Fingers (and everything else) crossed huh ?blink.gif

The lead up to Christmas is always a horror period for clubs finances due to fans other priorities, but, the holiday season can also bring a wee surge in gates providing the weather plays ball.

It will certainly be a horror period for our clubs finances with only one home game out of four in December .Hopefully we can string a few decent results together in december and we might pull in a decent crowd for the new year derby against Dundee.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Crowd last week would suggest it wasn`t a great idea for the club finances ..Over the two games where they dropped the prices the target was 2000+ per game and which is probably what they budgeted for.Ended up being 500 below 4000 over the two games.

Never mind,as long as the students are happy ;)

Agree with the general sentiment, but if the board want someone to complain to for the dismal crowd against Hamilton - and, invariably, Turnbull Hutton does - they need look no further than the manager and players for turning in a string of awful performances. Especially against Ayr where they had a wee chance to bring some people back.

Harsh as it sounds they didn't deserve a crowd to show up for the Hamilton game based on the preceding few months.

Edited by Paco

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick look at FanTalk earlier, and came across someone saying that this feels like a relegation season. I must admit, the thought 'we are getting relegated' passed over my mind several times during today's match. It's not even the results that provokes those thoughts: it's the manner of them.

Anyway, the point is: would anyone really bother if we were relegated? I think I've reached the stage where I no longer care - at least we'd probably actually win some matches rather than suffer defeat after defeat.

I know this would be dreadful as far as finances are concerned and that there would be another round of budget cuts, but I doubt even keeping ourselves in this league will prevent those, and I'd hate to see us even less competitive than we are now. Maybe I've just accepted it as a worse case scenario, owing to the very real possibility that it could happen.

So... John McGlynn? A read of Fantalk suggests the tide is turning against him even more. How do we all feel?

He's done a great job here but we're looking pretty hopeless at the moment, and that isn't any kind of snap reaction to a poor performance. We've shown no sign of improvement for four months.

If the board are deperate for us to stay in the 1st division then I think McGlynn should get the games against Thistle, Ayr, Dundee and the Morton double header. If we come out of those badly eg with maybe just a couple of points and out of the cup, it would be time to act.

If the board feel we'd be no worse off in the 2nd division than the 1st, then we'd be as well just letting McGlynn see out his contract and see where that takes us.

The other thing which should be factored in is entertainment value. The style of football we play is pretty grim at the best of times, but when we we're losing it's competely unbearable. If we continue as we are it's conceivable we could be looking at a sub 1,000 crowd before the end of the season, and how much is that going to cost us?

Edited by Martin Nelson

I don't know. We've been grim more or less the entire season, and the signs of that changing just aren't there. We haven't been 'unlucky' and I honestly have to say that we've deserved each and every one of the defeats that I've seen us suffer this season. The only one I feel even slightly aggrieved by was the defeat at home to Dundee - it's the only one in which we managed to force some saves out of the opposition's keeper. Even then, we deserved to lose due to a completely inept second 45 in which we completely failed to test a team that were down to 10 men.

Of course, the inevitable question will crop up: who would do a better job? A whole host of names will be mooted, then subsequently derided for a host of different reasons. I'm not entirely sure that a change would make anything worse, if I'm honest. The facts are that we have looked rubbish pretty much the whole season, and there are little/no signs that is going to change.

I think the board will give McGlynn the season regardless of what happens. For me, I'd probably look at the games Martin Nelson has cited. Ayr and Morton are in our immediate vicinity, whereas Thistle have only just recently put some ground between themselves and the relegation scrap. These are games that we really must take points from, particularly the Ayr match. At the moment, I'm ambivalent towards McGlynn being in charge:he's achieved good things here in his time, but we are presently hopeless and his history here is not going to save us. Another 4 defeats in our next five or suchlike will definitely see my feelings move towards the negative.

Next season isn't going to be pretty. If we stay up, I can see another round of budget cuts (unless Dunfermline get relegated) and if we get relegated then there will be a move back to the full-time/part-time mix with reduced budgets. I really don't want us to go down and have to rebuild again, but I would hate to see us less competitive than we are at present. It's not pleasant to watch in the slightest, and going to matches has rapidly become a chore. In all honesty, it's only my season ticket that has kept me going this season, we really are that bad to watch.

Sacking McGlynn would be a tremendous error. For a start we can't afford it financially so its a total non-starter. But that aside he's had a great five years so are we really saying that counts for nothing and the first sign of trouble we press the panic button and punt him? Seriously? Look at the league table. We're one point behind the play off and two points from complete safety. Look at Dundee, a run of form and they're up to third. Things can change quickly. This years budget cuts and the hangover from last season are having just as much impact as McGlynn's tactics. And if we do end up relegated what manager would you want in place to negotiate us out of there....John McGlynn.

Sacking McGlynn is nonsensical on every level. We all shout about wanting the Rovers board to operate on a more sensible, long term, properly planned future not live week to week. That should apply to the supporters as well. Knee jerk panic is not a sensible approach.