The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cracking post by Renton. Agree with every word except the belief that Ayr will win the league with room to spare. This season has seen both sides fluctuate up and down and Ayr throw away points just as much as us. Hence why even with our truly shite away form the league is still tight as hell.  With Lennox in I believe we’ll be much tighter and less nervy at the back so if we can get a shape that works then anything is possible. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Cracking post by Renton. Agree with every word except the belief that Ayr will win the league with room to spare. This season has seen both sides fluctuate up and down and Ayr throw away points just as much as us. Hence why even with our truly shite away form the league is still tight as hell.  With Lennox in I believe we’ll be much tighter and less nervy at the back so if we can get a shape that works then anything is possible. 

Agree with this. I think the defensive frailties we have had were mainly down to the guys being nervous about Smith between the sticks. I'd like to think we will see a continued improvement in the team now with Lennox back in goals.

I’d like to see Vaughan and Buchanan up top together, would have Vaughan as a 10 and Buchanan as the 9 though. As far as I’m aware they’ve not started a game together as the front two? Only time Vaughan has played up front this year has been when Buchanan was rested in some cup games.

They are 2 of our best technical players and think they would link up well. Another option would be moving Vaughan back wide with him and Furtado on either flank. Bobby Barr has done very little this season to justify his inclusion. That would leave Spence and Buchanan upfront but whilst it’s not been a total disaster, I just don’t think that partnership has properly clicked.

14 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

This

Regards who has the biggest budget.Its all guesswork.We both have similar debts(high)so suspect budgets are similar

In

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Interestingly Buchanan has been hooked around or before the 70th minute in each of our last four away matches. We were leading at the time in only one of those matches (Arbroath). Smith has shown no willingness to drop him though.

I don’t think he’s a bad player but he isn’t scoring enough - four goals in 18 appearances, or five in 20. It’s not enough for a team at the top end of the league. Maybe a spell on the bench will give him a bit of kick up the backside. Spence scored seven goals in eight games after being dropped at Ayr.

I like Buchanan I think he' a decent player the issue is we have a lot of forwards already and it's difficult fitting them all in.

In a strange way Buchanan would probably score more if we were a worse team where he was playing beside some big donkey because he would be the main strike threat.

I think another thing giving Ayr a wee boost this month is they obviously see themselves with the prospect of a juicy tie against Rangers, which could possibly end up on TV as well, which will top up the coffers nicely. They've possibly looked at that and used that potential income to budget for an extra player or two. We made a mess of our cup run, so no extra pennies for us - had we still been in the cup and drawn the likes of Hearts, a wee 7-8,000 gate cup match at £20 a head is a fair bit of money towards 1 extra wage.,....

Although - flip that around - if Rangers get through the cup tonight, Ayr may start getting distracted and on the tie and take their eye off the ball in the league. Likewise if they somehow were to sneak a replay or the tie be postponed, they could end up with a few postposed matches as well. If any of that happens and they drop their attention on the league we must be able to take advantage.

Still a long way to go in this league yet, and guaranteed both teams will drop points at some stage - we just need to hope we drop less than they do!

If you were going to give us a bit of news that we needed for this season, then this was it. For all the stick he took, you can never once accuse Dario of hiding. He's scored a good number of goals for us too so will add a bit of a threat.  His confidence should be up with his goal against Hearts too. We've looked flat for weeks since he left, so if he comes back along with Benedictus and Lennox in the team too, we're just looking at waiting for Robbo to return and finding out about McHattie (albeit, I've no expectations, and with Murray being a solid left back it isn't too much of a worry). 

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Dario Zanatta sure has gone up in people's estimations while he's been away.

Much like the East Fife game. Folk giving him pelters for trying to get on the ball and make things happen. He's then lauded for popping up with his trundling effort at goal and getting the win with folk wondering why he's away back. 

7 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Dario Zanatta sure has gone up in people's estimations while he's been away.

Well, two points in three games and one goal scored. Correlation isn't causation of course, but on the other hand....

Related image

Edited by renton