The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's truly tragic if a player of Wilson's calibre signs for Forfar, and that isn't anything against them. We should be doing everything within our means to get him back. We need a right back, and even though he was poor towards the end of the season he is still good enough for the first. If Forfar do sign him then they will have one of, if not the, best right backs in division two. He'll bomb down the wings all day yet do his defensive work too at that level.

It's truly tragic if a player of Wilson's calibre signs for Forfar, and that isn't anything against them. We should be doing everything within our means to get him back. We need a right back, and even though he was poor towards the end of the season he is still good enough for the first. If Forfar do sign him then they will have one of, if not the, best right backs in division two. He'll bomb down the wings all day yet do his defensive work too at that level.

Couldn't agree more. Board! Sort this out! Forfarforfuck'ssake!

The guy was fantastic played 100 odd games in a row I know he was pish towards the end of last season but so f**k he wasn't the only one. I am just guessing here but I imagine Forfar are part time? Surely he would rather stay in the first if we could put a part time deal together? Or is there more to it than money

Great work by Forfar if they manage to sign Wilson but, like others on here, I reckon he should still be plying his trade in the 1st.

Totally agree, But i stress that the manager is again showing signs of niavety in releasing one of our better players, we have no-one near as good in that position and feel we are in a fight to stay in this division now. I know it sounds pessimistic, but you have to question why we released so many and only brought in 3.

Wilson would be a fantastic signing for Forfar and would easily be the best right back in the division. Surely we could put together an offer for him which would match thiers to keep him at Starks.

Probably playing as a trialist to keep fit - can't imagine he won't be back in SD1 somewhere next year.

In the absence of a better RB suddenly becoming available, I'd have no problem with it being back at us either.

1 senior goal according to wiki (whilst on loan at Ayr in 2009). To be fair, the lad is only 19. Don't really know anything else about him though, any St Johnstone/Ayr fans have any thoughts on him as a player?

One more loanee to come in then, and that'll be our lot.

Edited to add: he had a 6 month spell at Ayr last season and only made 7 league appearances (no goals). I can see negative reviews coming up.

Edited by Michael W

The guy obviously knows where the goal is having score 40 goals in the season he joined Saints but of course that was for the young 'uns. We haven't seen a lot of him, most recently a substitute appearance here and there. I'm sure at Ayr he was being played on the wing, but prefers and is more natural as a striker. Not sure how he will do at Raith. McInnes says this about him on our OS today...

“Stephen has come back looking sharp and hungry and what he needs now is experience and I am sure Raith will be a good place to learn at First Division level”

Fair enough. I'd imagine he'll start off as back up to Baird and Graham, but if he can play on the wing then that gives us the option of not playing Williamson as well.

There's an Ayr fan a few pages back who says he's pish, but if he was being played out his favoured position there, maybe that was why.

Fair enough. I'd imagine he'll start off as back up to Baird and Graham, but if he can play on the wing then that gives us the option of not playing Williamson as well.

There's an Ayr fan a few pages back who says he's pish, but if he was being played out his favoured position there, maybe that was why.

Oh goody, I do so love a player that Ayr Utd. fans can have an opinion of. Preferably one they can have a negative opinion of.

Yeah, he was being made to play out wide as a winger at Ayr from what I've heard, now he doesn't have any attributes to play there. But as a striker he is pretty good prospect I think, he will definately be a good option for Raith, whether he comes of the bench or starts. Oh and his only goal for Ayr was against Dundee in the 1st division, so brownie points for that.

Meh. What kind of player is he? Good in the air? Strong? Quick? Skillful? Shite? St Johnstone's website has him at 6'1 but doesn't really mean he's good at winning headers. Also doesn't live upto the "has scored in the SPL" tag that we were promised.

Ideally (well, not ideally, but you know what I mean) we'd have another two to come in, but I imagine it'll just be the one to be honest. Who pretty much has to be a right back...

Edited by Paco

Meh. What kind of player is he? Good in the air? Strong? Quick? Skillful? Shite? St Johnstone's website has him at 6'1 but doesn't really mean he's good at winning headers. Also doesn't live upto the "has scored in the SPL" tag that we were promised.

Ideally (well, not ideally, but you know what I mean) we'd have another two to come in, but I imagine it'll just be the one to be honest.

Got a St Johnstone supporting mate - it's an outreach programme I volunteer at - who in a moment of drunkennes a few days ago referred to him as a 'lanky fucker, but decent in the air and an alright finisher'. Then he went for a fag and I lost £20 on a roulette table.

So, based on this paucity of info, I'm prepared to describe him as a somewhat audacious cross between Tadé and Brian Graham. But without the pace and surprising skill.

Edited by lzreid

Totally agree, But i stress that the manager is again showing signs of niavety in releasing one of our better players, we have no-one near as good in that position and feel we are in a fight to stay in this division now. I know it sounds pessimistic, but you have to question why we released so many and only brought in 3.

It's way to early to be predicting doom. Of the fifteen released, only four were guys who were genuine first team starters, and of those I'm confident in Hill, Murray and Ellis that we can absorb the loss of Campbell and that Hammill offers us more flexibility in midfield than Simmons could. Graham for Tade is possibly a loss in terms of the latter's unorthodoxy and joy to watch, but still had a decent return at Morton so shouldn't be sniffed at.

All in all, if you take last year's squad vs this year, in both scenarios you are relying on a core of players and not all that much depth outside of the first 13/14 guys. the difference is that outside of our first team we are relying on guys like Callachan and Donaldson rather than Weir and Ferry. It's a matter of degree rather than principle really.

Regarding Reynolds, we should see how it develops, I think McG has shown enough good judgement in his loanees to warrant trust ( I never understand those who say Templeton did 'nothing' in his time at the Rovers for a start)

As for Wilson, that's a weird one, and I'll reserve judgement on who the other loanee is and who, if anyone, else McG has lined up. He's far to good for Forfar (no offence!) and I'd hate him to end up against us next year, but still, I don't think he was doing so well for us towards the end, and sometimes a change is as good as a rest for both parties.