The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lived in the Gallatown Area for 16 years in the area just down from the fairway and across from the BP Garage on St Clair Street.

Apart from the odd couple of junkies, that you get wherever you go, it is generally a decent place to live.

The other side of St Clair Street however....

It's a harsh world geo!

I agree that the Rovers should be able to attract more than 3000 supporters with the catchment that we have by the way.

3000 we should get but for some reason we dont

Anyone interested if I were to run a minibus through to away games next season? (Or indeed, any existing groups looking for bus hire?)

I should be able to get reasonably cheap hire of a 16 seater through my work and was wondering if I could make use of it.

I'd be up for joining in for some games.

On the subject of bigger crowds, we could bleat about the number of fans who watch the Old Firms' ineveitable lunchtime kickoff then stay in the pub without wandering along to Starks', or the Rovers (and the rest of the country) could get real. This is the market now. Putting the admission up to £17 further squeezes the (tiny) support we currently have. The attitude of all clubs in Scotland when budgets are tight is to try and eek a few more pounds out of the existing fans, instead of trying to attract new ones. I think it's cultural in the UK as a whole, in almost every industry, we're risk averse. Speculate to accumulate just doesn't exist.

Make it £10/£5 and have a team made up entirely of part-timers. The 1500 of us would still go and you might actually build something bigger!

I'd be up for joining in for some games.

On the subject of bigger crowds, we could bleat about the number of fans who watch the Old Firms' ineveitable lunchtime kickoff then stay in the pub without wandering along to Starks', or the Rovers (and the rest of the country) could get real. This is the market now. Putting the admission up to £17 further squeezes the (tiny) support we currently have. The attitude of all clubs in Scotland when budgets are tight is to try and eek a few more pounds out of the existing fans, instead of trying to attract new ones. I think it's cultural in the UK as a whole, in almost every industry, we're risk averse. Speculate to accumulate just doesn't exist.

Make it £10/£5 and have a team made up entirely of part-timers. The 1500 of us would still go and you might actually build something bigger!

But then, you could argue, that with a lower budget, we'd be more likely to finish lower down in the table. With lower prices and a smaller budget, we struggle with paying expenses and the rent. Ultimately, we're in a catch 22 situation. Unfortunately, the best thing we can do is try to keep going as we are, try to get some money for the club and hope we can maybe get a decent finish and a cup run again. :unsure:

But then, you could argue, that with a lower budget, we'd be more likely to finish lower down in the table. With lower prices and a smaller budget, we struggle with paying expenses and the rent. Ultimately, we're in a catch 22 situation. Unfortunately, the best thing we can do is try to keep going as we are, try to get some money for the club and hope we can maybe get a decent finish and a cup run again. :unsure:

We (like everyone else) are making it up on the back of a fag packet at the moment by 'keeping going as we are'. Near misses with admin (or worse) will become the norm until someone actually decides to be positive about the 'product' and actually makes it attractive to young people and families. Putting the prices upn a quid is pretty much an admission that the you're going to lose a few fans, so by fleecing the ones who do keep coming, you'll keep the same budget.

What I'm saying is, we wouldn't have a smaller budget at £10/£5 because we'd get larger gates. Keeping going as we are looks like leaving us with 14 full-timers next season, and thus with injuries, we could end up playing a team full of part-time guys anyway. Go part-time, spend the savings on playing budget on marketing/making a day at Starks' Park more attractive, and watch the crowds rise*. Absolutely nobody is coming to Starks' Park of a weekend for the quality of football. Nobody.

*Or watch McGlynn walk, no-one want to play for us etc etc. I know. I'm not saying I'm right, I just wish I could believe the board had even considered it.

Edited by raith_94

We (like everyone else) are making it up on the back of a fag packet at the moment by 'keeping going as we are'. Near misses with admin (or worse) will become the norm until someone actually decides to be positive about the 'product' and actually makes it attractive to young people and families. Putting the prices upn a quid is pretty much an admission that the you're going to lose a few fans, so by fleecing the ones who do keep coming, you'll keep the same budget.

What I'm saying is, we wouldn't have a smaller budget at £10/£5 because we'd get larger gates. Keeping going as we are looks like leaving us with 14 full-timers next season, and thus with injuries, we could end up playing a team full of part-time guys anyway. Go part-time, spend the savings on playing budget on marketing/making a day at Starks' Park more attractive, and watch the crowds rise*. Absolutely nobody is coming to Starks' Park of a weekend for the quality of football. Nobody.

*Or watch McGlynn walk, no-one want to play for us etc etc. I know. I'm not saying I'm right, I just wish I could believe the board had even considered it.

Mcglynn will walk the manager of the year isnt getting the backing that he deserves! He will be feeling the same as the players after being told 4th is the target then half way through a campaign moving the goal posts!

talking about supporters isnt it about timeus raith fans gave ourselves a shake , surely a town the size of kirkcaldy could get 3000 fans at a game, would create a better atmosphere at games , just a thought

It would be great wouldn't it, but unfortunately the town and surrounding areas mostly harbour OF jakeys.

If the kdy public didn't turn up for a league title fight with the pars, why would they turn up for slightly cheaper gates?

Costs are costs. Can't afford the gamble of lowering prices and expecting the public to turn out in droves.

When did T-Hall go downhill? My Dad stayed at the top of Fair Isle Road, and when we down to see the Grandparents I used to enjoy walking down to the Templehall shops on a Sunday morning (this was about 9/10 years ago). We drive thru there on match days, and its just minging now. :(

When did T-Hall go downhill? My Dad stayed at the top of Fair Isle Road, and when we down to see the Grandparents I used to enjoy walking down to the Templehall shops on a Sunday morning (this was about 9/10 years ago). We drive thru there on match days, and its just minging now. :(

It's always been a dump. :unsure:

I'd avoid the following: (at great risk of offending fellow Raith fans who read this thread)

The links, the Gallatown and Smeaton.

Nothing wrong with the G'alt'n, then again I've never lived there since I left in 1992.

Interesting piece in the FFP, with Turnball Hutton poo pooing the negative waves emitting from starks park.

Strange stance considering the waves are coming from his chairman :blink:

Mcglynn will walk the manager of the year isnt getting the backing that he deserves! He will be feeling the same as the players after being told 4th is the target then half way through a campaign moving the goal posts!

1st target was in the bag, to avoid stangnating the board had to give another target, or would yo have preffered the board to have said we might be 2nd top, but were happy to slip to 4th ?

Ambition is critical

1st target was in the bag, to avoid stangnating the board had to give another target, or would yo have preffered the board to have said we might be 2nd top, but were happy to slip to 4th ?

Ambition is critical

I agree that you have to constantly try and do better and up yer game but telling them 4th is were we need to be then half way through saying win or massive cuts! Bad management someone fanny canny use a calculator and work out a correct budget

Alot of opinions about non footballing matter which is disappointing to see and i'm amazed that nobody had mentioned the post with the FourFourTwo link saying that Baird has been released (an error I hope).

I'll keep this short - Rovers need to have a look in the mirror and ask what they're doing to increase gate numbers. Free tickets to schools? Don't think so. Free tickets to young local teams? Not that i'm aware of. Bring a mate for free? Nope! Free enrty and take donations? NO! This was done by a league 1 or 2 English team last year, after which they recieved more in donations that average gate reciepts and increased gates for the rest of the season. You have to speculate to accumulate.

I was impressed how Falkirk are run, allowing games of football held on the pitch at half time for kids birthday = more money. I don't know who makes the marketing decisions at Starks but Sir Alan certainly wouldn't hire them.

non footballing rant over!

I'm actually looking forward to the season ahead in perspective. IF we have both Baird and Graham then I'm confident they'll form a great partnership + we have the best goalkeeper in league IMO. WE have a pretty sturdy defense and I hope Dougie is given more of a chance. We need another 3 players I feel pref loan which looks likely anyway. 1 in each defence, midfield and striker to give atleast some depth. My only real worry is in midfield where I feel we lack of confidence, I can only hope Hamill changes that but its alot for one person to do, dispite what people have said I'd actaully like to see us sign Kevin McBride again.

Last of all...the captian and vice captian. I think it'll be set in stone that Murray will be Captain but I suspect Davo has had his last chance at claiming the armband. Would like to see Dougie, Ellis or McGurn given the role as vice captain, McGurn because he's a good commicator, Ellis because he has similar qualities to Murray and Hill because he's wise for his age and has experience as captain at Cowden.