The New Raith Rovers Thread

On occasion aye.

I'm 99% positive I've played against you before, one of the players for Athletico Dunfermline(I think their name is?) was the coach of the team I used to play for and they were critically short of players so asked two players from the team to play, ended up having a 15 year old who had played the whole season in centre midfield for my team, playing in goals for them, he had a good game despite getting beat 5/6/7(insert high digit here)-1/2(insert low digit here)

I ended up playing in centre mid, right back and centre back, abiding memory being going through some big centre midfielder early on who looked like Martin Keamy from lost, feeling like I'd sprained my ankle in doing so(Was one big guy...) and someone from the sidelines telling him rather casually "Just break his leg next time he tries that..." good times, good times.

Edited by Grant228

I'm 99% positive I've played against you before, one of the players for Athletico Dunfermline(I think their name is?) was the coach of the team I used to play for and they were critically short of players so asked two players from the team to play, ended up having a 15 year old who had played the whole season in centre midfield for my team, playing in goals for them, he had a good game despite getting beat 5/6/7(insert high digit here)-1/2(insert low digit here)

I ended up playing in centre mid, right back and centre back, abiding memory being going through some big centre midfielder early on who looked like Martin Keamy from lost, feeling like I'd sprained my ankle in doing so(Was one big guy...) and someone from the sidelines telling him rather casually "Just break his leg next time he tries that..." good times, good times.

Fair enough. Was that the game played in Rosyth?

Just had a look at your fans forum and it was on the 15/5/2010, was 5-1 with I.Lattox2 S.Cairns A.Codd N.Linton scoring apparently.

Whoever the guy was the scored two was the guy that played at left mid, if that's not you then it seems I was thinking off a different guy.

Edited by Grant228

Youth Development

I hope a few of the young boys are decent enough to get into the team eventually, although i wouldn't get your hopes up. We've not produced anyone since we've had our youth development of any note.

Also, many people on this said that last year that Wedderburn, and a few of the other boys were good enough. They clearly never were.

Remember Jonh Halley, Tam Graham . . . lots of folk claiming they were decent, when they wer no where need good enough. Same will happen again this season unfortunately.

It has to be accepted that the reason all of these boys get contracts is because we need to fill a team for the under 19's, nothing else! We don't have the money to bring other players in so they are there as emergency cover.They will play with the 19's, see out there contracts then get released. Just like wedderburn and all the other shite.

The reality is that most young boys that will be ready to play in the first division are at SPL clubs, hearts, hibs etc, hense why mcglynn always takes these boys on loan, Templeton, Kev Smith etc.

Unfortunately lads you've got to realise that with all due respect to these boys, they are at the Rovers youth set up because they were not good enough to play at a higher level when they wer 14, 15 etc with the likes of celtic, rangers, motherwell's youth teams. It is very unlikely that you can improve to that level if you have never been at SPLyouth level when you were younger, Graham Weir is a good example of this.

Don't mean to be negative but this is the reality of our youth set up, and probably most teams youth set ups in the lower leagues. If other teams are more succesful it means out Scouting system is not working and needs to have a personel change.

I remember before last season someone on here was making this exact point about Wedderburn, Mackie etc, about not being good enough having played in the same youth league as them and knowing them personally. They were dismissed by many on here as not having a clue and not knowing what a good player was. Jesus Christ. I think the term "I told you so" is appropriate here. And i'm willing to take bets if we will utilise any of our young boys again this season because i'm sure we wont.

Sad state of affairs and i hope im wrong, but don't think i will be unfortunately, as we could do with prodcuing some actual quality. = Hamilton for example.

And i'm willing to take bets if we will utilise any of our young boys again this season because i'm sure we wont.

I agree with most of your post, except this part. If we're running with a squad of 13, we're going to have no option but to throw some of the young lads in.

I agree with most of your post, except this part. If we're running with a squad of 13, we're going to have no option but to throw some of the young lads in.

True, they may need to come in as cover if we're really struggling but it wont be through choice or because their good enough.

True, they may need to come in as cover if we're really struggling but it wont be through choice or because their good enough.

We're already struggling, every game is gonna have a bench of youths. We're one injury or one suspension away from playing a youngster. Are they good enough? Probably not, but then, they'll have to be and that's that.

For what it's worth, I'd have been confident of survival or better even if we had had to play Wedderburn or Mackie in the majority of games. The rest of the team would have been able to pick up the slack and they'll be good enough to do so again.

We're already struggling, every game is gonna have a bench of youths. We're one injury or one suspension away from playing a youngster. Are they good enough? Probably not, but then, they'll have to be and that's that.

For what it's worth, I'd have been confident of survival or better even if we had had to play Wedderburn or Mackie in the majority of games. The rest of the team would have been able to pick up the slack and they'll be good enough to do so again.

Did u ever watch Wedderburn??? Bombscare. If the boy wizny 6'6 he would never have got a look in as a youth player.

Will we play the youths or will we just get in loan signings again? Maybe a bit of both.

Did u ever watch Wedderburn??? Bombscare. If the boy wizny 6'6 he would never have got a look in as a youth player.

I did. He certainly wouldn't have been my first choice to even sit on the bench - and neither would Jamie Mackie. That said, if either of them had been required to play every week, I'm certain the rest of the squad could have adjusted to cover any problems. Indeed, I expect that this'll happen next year too and, providing we only have to play one or two of them I think we'll be comfortable.