The New Raith Rovers Thread

59 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Cuthbert did the presentation for player's player of the year and in his announcement said something along the lines of, "Maybe just as well the gaffer isn't here because he wouldn't like this... Bobby Barr!"

I can't help but get the impression that Hughes has kept players out who he perceives to have a bad attitude even though it may be to the detriment of putting out our strongest side.

This isn't unique to Hughes, every manager does this.

To be fair to the players, every one  of them acknowledged that we've had a bad season, "Shite" as the captain put it, but every one of them spoke with a steely determination about putting things right for the supporters, themselves and most importantly of all, the folk employed in the background whose jobs may be threatened if we go down.

It's been grim this season but I'm right behind them and can't wait for Brechin on Wednesday.

Gutted* to see Jonny Court doing well for you lot, I would have liked to see us trying to get him back for our push for promotion from League 1. Not sure why we didn't try and keep him, I thought he looked decent when he played, and he would do even better under Petrie.

*not really gutted.

Brechin are absolutely dreadful, one of the worst teams we've came up against this season, i'm astounded they have finished 4th, you will comfortably get past them. 

Airdrie are decent going forward but shocking at the back, they will need to put 4 consistent performances together if they are going to get close to going up, but can't see them getting past Alloa.

Alloa are a decent side, my bet would be an Alloa v Raith Rovers final and I don't think there is an awful lot between the sides but I'm going to say you'll stay up, only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

On that note, what a difference Ross Matthews makes to the team. Hope we can keep him fit in the playoff games as he's a huge player for us. Him over Jordan Thompson is polar opposites.

Yep, been saying this for weeks. He's a great player. If we go down there's almost no way he'll stay with us, which is a real shame. 

I had a quick look at it there, and Matthews played 24 league matches this season. Overall record is won 9, drew 8, lost 7. Given the season we've had that's a genuinely astonishing record. One win without him (Dumbarton at home, 3-2). And get this - TEN defeats without him, from 12 matches where he hasn't appeared.

Obviously there are several other factors involved in that, but I don't think it's a coincidence we're so much better when he plays.

48 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

To be fair to the players, every one  of them acknowledged that we've had a bad season, "Shite" as the captain put it, but every one of them spoke with a steely determination about putting things right for the supporters, themselves and most importantly of all, the folk employed in the background whose jobs may be threatened if we go down.

It's been grim this season but I'm right behind them and can't wait for Brechin on Wednesday.

Glad to hear the players acknowledging that. I thought it was a nice touch from Cuthbert at half time yesterday to thank the fans and admit they didn't really deserve the support they were getting.

No use sniping now, though, as you say. Got to stick with them for hopefully another four matches. It'll be nervy and I'm pretty much convinced we'll have an outfield player in goal for at least some of it. Hopefully we can do enough to stay up. 

2 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Cuthbert did the presentation for player's player of the year and in his announcement said something along the lines of, "Maybe just as well the gaffer isn't here because he wouldn't like this... Bobby Barr!"

I can't help but get the impression that Hughes has kept players out who he perceives to have a bad attitude even though it may be to the detriment of putting out our strongest side.

I don't think the players will be too sad to see him gone.

My own take, which might well be miles from the truth of course.

Did the same at Livi, told Bobby not to come back and sent him to East Fife to play. Bobby scored 2 goals away to Falkirk and Hughes totally blanked him when he ran over to celebrate his first goal. Didn't like flair players running with the ball, wanted them to play passes even it it went nowhere, rather than direct quick football that got goals. Have to admit I burst out laughing when Hughes signed for Raith as my first thought went to Bobby Barr's face when he got that news. Poor we c**t.