The New Raith Rovers Thread

http://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/friends-fly-remember-much-loved-cards-fan-lucy/79/

For those interested there will be update and photos on the Woking website as well (hopefully air brushed) and there is a couple of facebook groups setup also for anyone that wants more details or wants to donate

http://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/friends-fly-remember-much-loved-cards-fan-lucy/79/

For those interested there will be update and photos on the Woking website as well (hopefully air brushed) and there is a couple of facebook groups setup also for anyone that wants more details or wants to donate

Well, as long as they break out the wide lenses for us.....

I thought I was too old and slow to take part, and would make a twat of myself, after seeing some of the 'highlights' I might go for it next year.

There was a 60 year old man playing too.

I'll be a hell of a lot fitter next year.

You will be my inspiration when i take to the field next week Andy :lol:

8)

I went out running in the week leading up to the game but I was still knackered after about ten minutes. I panicked a wee bit when I couldn't get a breath at one point but then a corner bounced off my head in the right direction, ended up in the net and it invigorated me a wee bit.

I reckon I'll be quite fit this time next year but I was considering paying for a goalkeeping bearth.

There was a 60 year old man playing too.

I'll be a hell of a lot fitter next year.

8)

I went out running in the week leading up to the game but I was still knackered after about ten minutes. I panicked a wee bit when I couldn't get a breath at one point but then a corner bounced off my head in the right direction, ended up in the net and it invigorated me a wee bit.

I reckon I'll be quite fit this time next year but I was considering paying for a goalkeeping bearth.

I was doing some spinning and circuit training classes but was a bit stop start with trying to get back in time from work so not done alot lately so be blowing out for arse for most of the game :lol:

Id like to do it next year but see how the cash flow is

So McGlynn to go with 13 senior players next season and 6 youth players including Ross Laidlaw who will be back-up goalie to McGurn.

when i heard we were releasing McNeill and said we were cutting down on the squad thought this would be a sensible step

To be honest, I can hardly believe part-time and smaller full-time clubs still pay a senior sub goalie. How often do they need to be used? 19's goalie is definitely the way to go. I've seen Laidlaw play several times, and he looks very assured.

I'm happy with Laidlaw as back-up, but 12 outfield players isn't nearly enough to do anything other than reach mid-table. Not only do we have very little cover we also have virtually nothing to come off the bench. But I'd rather we don't spend money if we don't have it I suppose. Surely we can stretch to a loanee or two to bulk up the squad?

I dread to think how much of a loss we've managed to make this season, despite the average crowd rising by 500.

I think it's a good move, especially if that means we could possibly move for some loanees. Having a young back up keeper is better than throwing in a young defender or whatever.

Like I said before most teams this season will probably have similar types of squad in terms of size and overall ability. Although with Dundee resigning Douglas, Weston and McKeown they do look rather solid at the back. But then again we still have McGurn, Ellis and hopefully Bert (if he agrees a new deal)

I'm happy with Laidlaw as back-up, but 12 outfield players isn't nearly enough to do anything other than reach mid-table. Not only do we have very little cover we also have virtually nothing to come off the bench. But I'd rather we don't spend money if we don't have it I suppose. Surely we can stretch to a loanee or two to bulk up the squad?

I dread to think how much of a loss we've managed to make this season, despite the average crowd rising by 500.

I suppose it depends largely on how the younge rplayers are able to make the step up.

Plus , we don't know who the other two signings are likely to be, or if we'll keep Baird.

Considering we may well have Murray, Ellis and Hill next year, I wonder if McGlynn would consider trying them as a back 3 given their experience. Would free up Dyer as a wing-back on the left and mean McBride would not have to be relied on. Doubt the gaffer would try it but would provide a better balance than Murray at RB with Hill and Ellis at CB, which looks a possibility.

Agree about Laidlaw. Sensible move.

I spoke to John McGlynn about Ross Laidlaw a year ago and he spoke very highly of our young 'keeper.

I'm not bothered about him being on the bench at all and I hope he gets a few pre-season friendlies under his belt too.

Fantastic that we've still got Dave McGurn though. :)

Hmmm, I'm happy with the elevation of Laidlaw to the first team along with the other youths.We talk persistently about the need to develop youth and bring through our own and that's what we've now got the opportunity to do so - well, that's we're required to do but the end product is the same and we won't go bust doing it.

I spoke to John McGlynn about Ross Laidlaw a year ago and he spoke very highly of our young 'keeper.

I'm not bothered about him being on the bench at all and I hope he gets a few pre-season friendlies under his belt too.

Fantastic that we've still got Dave McGurn though. :)

McGlynn usually gives both keepers a shot pre-season, so he'll get his chance.

I'd agree that going with Laidlaw as back up is the sensible thing to do, and he does seem to be thought of quite highly from what I've heard.

reading Brian Graham's interview in the FFP, I came across this:

Raith were up there challenging for promotion and were unlucky not to go up in the end, whereas Morton havent hit those heights yet. Im hoping Raith can do the same next season and push near the top.

I wonder if he gave that interview before he knew that he may well be asked to take ashot in goals next year due to the size of the squad :blink:

As Izreid says, It'll be good to see the youth team make the step up, this could be an important season for the Rovers, if two or three of the young guys can make (will have to make) the step up to the full team, it will be very significant for the club and it's future practices, as long as we were safe by the end of the season, and if some of the young guys managed to make the step up, I'd call it a success tbh

Edited by renton