The New Raith Rovers Thread

its a shame we didnt keep him, he didnt have the best of seasons after he came back from injury tho we had a few shakey performances and players after teh new year.

I'd have kept him too, even if he didn't have the best of seasons. With what we've got, we'll struggle to have him adequately replaced, and I can forsee Grant Murray starting the season as our first choice RB. In my opinion, that would be a big mistake.

It's this bit that sums it up for me:

When the Pars won promotion out of the first division it meant a big drop in revenue for Raith Rovers and we were told that they could not afford to keep anyone who was out of contract.

Whilst I don't think that's entirely correct given we're in negotiations with Grant Murray, it just shows how shite a budget McGlynn has to work with. Whatever people's opinion of Mark Campbell and Stephen Simmons, along with Wilson these guys were all certain starters. Add Tadé into that and possibly Baird, and that's half a team gone. That's a disaster, particularly after a season of challenging for the title.

I'd have kept him too, even if he didn't have the best of seasons. With what we've got, we'll struggle to have him adequately replaced, and I can forsee Grant Murray starting the season as our first choice RB. In my opinion, that would be a big mistake.

It's this bit that sums it up for me:

Whilst I don't think that's entirely correct given we're in negotiations with Grant Murray, it just shows how shite a budget McGlynn has to work with. Whatever people's opinion of Mark Campbell and Stephen Simmons, along with Wilson these guys were all certain starters. Add Tadé into that and possibly Baird, and that's half a team gone. That's a disaster, particularly after a season of challenging for the title.

Think if we had kept Wilson and kept together a majority of the defence i would be a bit more confident about next season

Im glad that Campbell got a chance to play again after his accident and was a brillant player for us but you could see he had lost a bit of pace and was costing us so probably the right decision to go and Simmons well not too dissapointed he has gone

Did anyone at the start of the season think we would challenge with that squad?

Next season will indeed be a different ball game, but most teams will basically have squads that are jumbled together from last year. I cannot see Livingston and the Brechin/Ayr adding first division players from last season to their teams because of finances.

I don't think we have much to worry about. Yes the squad will be smaller, buy I see no reason why the club can't at least challenge again next season.

Did anyone at the start of the season think we would challenge with that squad?

Next season will indeed be a different ball game, but most teams will basically have squads that are jumbled together from last year. I cannot see Livingston and the Brechin/Ayr adding first division players from last season to their teams because of finances.

I don't think we have much to worry about. Yes the squad will be smaller, buy I see no reason why the club can't at least challenge again next season.

Depends on who we bring in, the worry will be if we do get any injuries/suspensions who will step in if we do have alot smaller squad this season. Tho il wait and see who we add to the squad before i reach for the prozak

Who know maybe in a month if he hasnt signed for anyone we will re-sign him on a reduced wage along with not paying a wage for 2 months. Think that clubs will be waiting till last minute too sign players so they don't have to pay a wage for the summer months.

We had decent players in all three positions when he was with us for the second half of last season, did well enough when called upon though. Wouldn't expect him to score/set too many up though, maybe this would change if given license to do so though.

Yeah, would agree. He did well for us ultimately and I'd have quite liked to have kept him but he didn't play a position we had an obvious need for at the time and we couldn't afford him. That said (as regards position) we did end up bringing in Ryan Conroy to play pretty much the same role of left midfield covering left back.

It would appear going into administration or wracking up high levels of debt is the way forward shown by Dundee and Dunfermline

The Gamble has paid off for them but wouldny like to be in the situation ourselves

:D

I watched mine this morning.

Andy C - Slow as a week in Barlinnie but twice as lethal. 8)

You will be my inspiration when i take to the field next week Andy :lol:

I thought I was too old and slow to take part, and would make a twat of myself, after seeing some of the 'highlights' I might go for it next year.

There was a big range of abilities playing ranging from Brewster and Ellis, right down to folk like me and Andy ;)