The New Raith Rovers Thread

Problem is though, that we have no choice but to downgrade if Marv leaves. No-one else is really gonna give us that same level of excitement.

Very true, I'm not arguing with that at all. Don't think Hill is the man though, and I'll be hoping he doesn't sign. I'm already very worried about the squad as it is...

Every team has changed to some degree or another, some weaker and some of course stronger. We're facing different personnel and different circumstances from what Morton and RC faced, also, we have our own team and manager with their own philosophy that will either help or hinder us in the season ahead.

Not by enough to change the general standard of sides that will avoid relegation from those who do not.

And yet, you have no real knowledge of how much we need to strengthen from last year (neither do I right enough, but at least I admit it). 8th or even 7th place is not beyond the imagination.

Livi will hopefuly implode around the 9th August, I'm not terrified of Ayr's signings yet and see no reason we won't finish above them. Therefore, in a tight league 1 more place isn't quite the same as declaring ourselves champions.

Well, in all fairness, I have been on both sides of the coin, with a team who spent significantly more money (in the last two seasons) and saw precisely how difficult it is to establish yourselves in this division.

8th place is certainly possible, but if I balance the squads of Raith, Ross County, Queens or Morton, Raith would be bottom of that pile, maybe 99 times out of 100. At the moment I think Ayr's signings are a better investment for this level, whether their team ends up ultimately better, we'll have to see.

Not by enough to change the general standard of sides that will avoid relegation from those who do not.

Well, in all fairness, I have been on both sides of the coin, with a team who spent significantly more money (in the last two seasons) and saw precisely how difficult it is to establish yourselves in this division.

8th place is certainly possible, but if I balance the squads of Raith, Ross County, Queens or Morton, Raith would be bottom of that pile, maybe 99 times out of 100. At the moment I think Ayr's signings are a better investment for this level, whether their team ends up ultimately better, we'll have to see.

with that being said if Marv doesnt come back we could expect 3 maybe even 4 signings at a push to come in and once we see who else comes in we can say with a bit more certainty how we think we will fair this season.

Couple of loan signings i think may be on the cards tho

Really? Dunfermline are going into the season with relative unkowns as their centre halves, QoS lost a lot of their established goal scorers in Dobbie and O'connor, Livingston are a mess, Ayr are in the same boat as us. Last season's league was a tight affair with very few points seperating 3rd to 8th, if that were to repeat then there is no reason to believe that Raith could not remain competitive.

But you appreciate that it's all subjective right?

As it happens, I'd like a little more investment in the squad but I'm not eager for wholesale changes for both financial and playing reasons. Completely changing the squad and demanding that they gel in a higher league is not a smart idea in my opinion.

realisticly with no marv we could have a couple of loan signings and 2 or 3 part timers my main concearn is and always has been is where goals will come from even with andrews we were likely to ship a few

Really? Dunfermline are going into the season with relative unkowns as their centre halves, QoS lost a lot of their established goal scorers in Dobbie and O'connor, Livingston are a mess, Ayr are in the same boat as us. Last season's league was a tight affair with very few points seperating 3rd to 8th, if that were to repeat then there is no reason to believe that Raith could not remain competitive.

Last year Airdrie were handed promotion with weeks to spare and Clyde rapidly descended from mess into farce within a few months of the season. There also wasn't a newly relegated side from the SPL. I don't think the division is weaker at all, and very much stronger at the top end. Queens have strengthened significantly at the back to compensate and Dunfermline have brought some more creativity into their side (though I'd say both sides are a bit weaker on paper).

I cannot see the standard required being any different from last season, and while you're entitled to be optimistic pre-season - at the moment in time, I don't see it happening. If only the kick off was next Saturday...

After reading posts from our fans welcoming Jon Stewart to the club, you'll forgive me if I don't comment on the Dougie Hill speculation just yet...

Hill is and has been trainign with the club since pre-season started. This is absolutely nothing like the John Stewart 'situation'.

Very true, I'm not arguing with that at all. Don't think Hill is the man though, and I'll be hoping he doesn't sign. I'm already very worried about the squad as it is...

I said earlier in the thread that I'm not convinced yet either. Hill has a decent reputation and given our own ocassionally laughable attempts to break down the Alloa defence he might not be such a bad decision. Measured against that is the poor season that he's just had suffered.

I presume McGlynn blames either the team dynamic or Hill's team mates. Given the decent job he's doing he has the right to make that decision without too much grumbling from us. I'll leave it with, I'm not convinced but am open to being convinced.

Last year Airdrie were handed promotion with weeks to spare and Clyde rapidly descended from mess into farce within a few months of the season. There also wasn't a newly relegated side from the SPL. I don't think the division is weaker at all, and very much stronger at the top end. Queens have strengthened significantly at the back to compensate and Dunfermline have brought some more creativity into their side (though I'd say both sides are a bit weaker on paper).

I cannot see the standard required being any different from last season, and while you're entitled to be optimistic pre-season - at the moment in time, I don't see it happening. If only the kick off was next Saturday...

The top end is not what concerns me, I don't mind getting mauled off Dundee, Partick et al, so long as we can take enough points from the teams around us.

Even if the general standard remains the same it does not preclude our competitiveness in it, our squad has a decent baseline standard and has a good season playing together and having gelled and we can still strengthen, I myslef am not fully convinced on the merits of guys like Tade but he's going to get a pre season behind him with a more rigourous training regime than he got previously - as he himself has admitted.

And the kick off is not saturday, or the one after. The friendlies mean jack shit, as long as the squad is ready by august, that is what matters.

Its amazing with some of you guys. How can you pass judgement on a player you have hardly ever, if ever, seen play.

Give the guy a chance and pass judgement after you have seen him play in division one.

Ah, this old chessnut.

We can pass judgement on the games we've seen them. Maybe we haven't seen as much as other fans have seen of them, but does this make our point any less valid, given that it can be backed up by subjective evidence? no, it doesn't. I've never been impressed with Dani Alves from what I've seen of him, yet I've got plenty mates who'll rave about him and tell me he's the best RB in the world based on what they've seen. Who is right; me or them? I'll save you the bother - neither of us is, because we are dealing with opinions and not fact. Before any wide c**t starts, I am not comparing our state of affairs to Barcelona, I'm merely trying to suggest that opinions are fine provided there is some form of evidence to back them up.

Of course our signings be "given a chance", but I don't see what's wrong with being a little uneasy about certain players being signed, particularly when the evidence you have of them isn't promising. I far rather that than the usual rubbish like "have faith" and "trust the manager". Two phrases which never cease to irritate me.

It really depends what john does with the money freed up b not having marv.

I would assume their was a healthy wedge used to tempt marv. That money might be available to bring in a few new faces.

It's going to be a tough old season but there is no way I would throw the towel in just yet.

Yessss!!

That strip means business. Non of this fancy dan pattern pish, just RRFC colours.

Thy will be bought.

my shirt came today fits perfrct from the waist upwards until you hit the armpit sleeve area where it goes from regular shirt to an item designed for siamese twins to fit into. boo

The last two champions significantly strengthened their squad in the summer and both finished 8th and very narrowly avoided relegation. What makes you think Raith will do better with arguably less investment?

We had about one millionth of the investment Celtic had yet we still fucked them over in 94. B)

I also reckon that our loanee forward won't be too far off the top of the scoring charts.

Funny things happen in football. Although I'm not suggesting for one second that finishing 7th is well outwith our reach.

Good luck to big Marv if he is away.