The New Raith Rovers Thread

Good post.

This aint some hyper mega super league we have entered.

Staying up will be tough, yes. Impossible? No.

Impossible is probably right, if indeed Marv is signing for Hamilton then it looks like we'll be struggling for a full compliment for the season. If Dougie Hill is the best we can do then so be it, i'm not happy about it ,and not too sure what McG has up his sleeve But in all honesty he better get the finger out.

I was told last night that we'll be playing a trialist at centre back on Saturday and I assumed the worst, thank goodness I was wrong :D

I presume Hill.

I'm unsure how I feel about that.

in all honesty Marv not resigning could be a blessing

whereas we could of had Marv and 1 additional player this frees up the wages for more players. Although they might not be fantastic quality the extra depth this adds could be the difference between relegation and staying up

Edited by P.C

thats what ive heard

Theoretically, I'm quite happy with the signing (if we make it of course). A young, reasonably well regarded defender within our price range. However, there's the nagging doubt about signing an Alloa defender after their 'interesting' season.

Theoretically, I'm quite happy with the signing (if we make it of course). A young, reasonably well regarded defender within our price range. However, there's the nagging doubt about signing an Alloa defender after their 'interesting' season.

yeah its not exactly ideal signing these types of players ie untried at this level but as Renton as mentioned before McG must see potential in them and if he believes they have the ability to play at this level we cant judge until we see for ourselves.

We would love to have some seasoned players who have experience of playing at a higher level but with the budget we have and the other teams in this division and others looking for similar players we are going to have to put are faith in these boys

yeah its not exactly ideal signing these types of players ie untried at this level but as Renton as mentioned before McG must see potential in them and if he believes they have the ability to play at this level we cant judge until we see for ourselves.

We would love to have some seasoned players who have experience of playing at a higher level but with the budget we have and the other teams in this division and others looking for similar players we are going to have to put are faith in these boys

This is the thing that some members of our support don't seem to get. Tried, tested and sucessful players at this level are beyond our means. I have no intention of watching the club 'speculate to accumulate' it's way out of existence.

Difficult to answer Dunc. Yep he is tall, 6-4 i think. I wont say hes built like a tank, but he certainly aint skinny. Maybe slightly below average build for his height.

Hes not too bad either in the air or on the ground, but needs experience at this higher level. One thing about him i did like on the few occasions i saw him play. He does try to pass the ball out of defence when possible, but he certainly isnt afraid to give the ball a huge heave ho if needs be.

Like all the juniors, i hope he gets his chance and is helped by his playing partners, ie lawrie, sparky and davo.

I saw Wedderburn a few times last season, when he was partnered with Danny main. Neither looked like anything special, although Main's lack of pace was frightening - it didn't surprise me that he got released. In all honesty I didn't think either of the U-19 centre halves would make it and I'm still very unconvinced that wedderburn will be able to step up.

You make him sound like an economical German hatchback, possibly with i-pod compatibility and a sunroof.....

I have no idea what to think aobut it if it is Hill, no doubt the Alloa fans would be perplexed, but then again they proably didn't expect us to make a succes of Sloan either. While he would no doubt lack Andrews physical presence when attacking a corner, he seems reasonably solid and no doubt ahving Sparky along side him would help.

It's one of those 70% of the talent for 20% of the cost calculations that we have to make....

Edited by renton

Over half our squad are tried and tested at this level or higher.

No-one can actually say how we will shape up until the season proper actually starts.

Granted we arent a team of individual stars, but apart from strikers where we are short, our squad aint that bad and may well surprise a few teams in this league.

AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not going to name names, but we do have options—and I’m not panicking when we have people like Iain Davidson and Laurie Ellis who can step into the central defensive area.

Davidson would die out there in Division 1, playing centre back.

You make him sound like an economical German hatchback, possibly with i-pod compatibility and a sunroof.....

Which is precisely what the family on a budget should be aiming for :P

We're not signing Scott Thomson! Wahey!

Not that I ever doubted our glorious manager's judgement, you understand.

While over on fannytalk one poster seems to have lost the plot and is using the terms 'c'mon McGlynn/board... sign someone we can get excited about....'

And he'sdoing it in block capitals. Looks like the panic button just got pressed :lol:

Edited by renton

While over on fannytalk one poster seems to have lost the plot and is using the terms 'c'mon McGlynn/board... sign someone we can get excited about....'

And he'sdoing it in block capitals. Looks like the panic button just got pressed :lol:

god it must be getting serious if folk are using caps :lol:

We're not signing Scott Thomson! Wahey!

Not that I ever doubted our glorious manager's judgement, you understand.

that would of been our ugly player of the division back since we let Craig Winter go

Am I the only one who thinks we have a decent chance of staying up then?

No. I think we'll be 7th at least.

To be honest folks the quality in the first division is in no great state either. If you stay organised, take your chances when the come along you don't have to fear any side. There were several times last year where we would dominate possession in games without creating chances and paid for it as the season unfolded. The one thing your squad has proved so far, even though many fans feel there isn't alot of quality, you can definatly scrap and win games ugly, and when it gets to winter time (poor pitches and bad weather) and the business end of the season thats a big attribute to have.

Good post.

As has already been said, there are no teams in this league (Perhaps Dundee aside) that will simply brush us aside.

McGlynn and Smith will have us competitive and I also think we'll surprise a few folk.