The New Raith Rovers Thread

It is indeed a calf strain, however the severity is slighty more. When I spoke to my mate about it 4 days ago, he said that he had trained once out of 14 sessions so far.

So, he'll be fresh for the start of the season then?

:)

Am I the only one who thinks we have a decent chance of staying up then?

No, I give us a decent chance too.

I'm still expecting Livi to take the automatic spot off the map, for starters.

To be honest folks the quality in the first division is in no great state either. If you stay organised, take your chances when the come along you don't have to fear any side. There were several times last year where we would dominate possession in games without creating chances and paid for it as the season unfolded. The one thing your squad has proved so far, even though many fans feel there isn't alot of quality, you can definatly scrap and win games ugly, and when it gets to winter time (poor pitches and bad weather) and the business end of the season thats a big attribute to have.

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

Is anyone there actually a proven goalscorer in this division?

Wilson won't score you goals, Williamson will put in a shit load of effort but will get at most 7 goals, Simmons is proven to be awful in this division and even then how many did he score in the second?

Tade won't get your goals either, the players you've mention arn't even that good going forward so attacking football..nah.

You will not be an attacking force in this division your best chance is to ty and build from the back, and without Marv your defence just looks much weaker and the chances of getting anyone near as good are slim..

Relegation is a very real possibility unless McGlyn pulls something out the hat.

Of course we have no proven goal scorers 'in this division', even if we had kept Kevin Smith, he'd still have been largely 'unproven' at this level.

There is absolutely no way you can say for definite that the players mentioned ' are'nt even that good at going forward' - you and I have no idea exactly how many of those players will react to the first division, basing your prediction on several of their past histories in this division gives only one aspect of the story.

While Simmons would seem to me to be the biggest risk in that squad there is a glimmer of a good player there, and if McG can keep him focused we should get more out of him than you lot did.

As for Tade, we at the moment have no idea exactly how McG is going to play him, if he is in an out and out striking position, it will be the first time he has played there and thus, you cannot say one way or the other how he will play or how prolific he will be.

Also, given that the chances of you having seen either Ferry or Smith are bloody slim, how you can pass comment is beyond me.

Our squad is not yet complete, and I'd expect us to lose out on Andrews if Hamilton or Hibs are halfway serious, I still think McG can get a replacement centre half and Mark Campbell is more than solid at the back. I expect us to be scrapping it out, I do not think we will be definitely for the chop, however.

Edited by renton

So, he'll be fresh for the start of the season then?

:)

Assuming you're talking about Sloanaldo and not Marco Pelosi...

I'd feel much happier if he was getting a full pre-season behind him. Without wanting to be cruel, he's not exactly the leanest of specimens, particularly at the start of the season. Often you'll see players who really struggle if their pre-season is disrupted, and I feel that Rob Sloan might be more susceptible than most.

Here's hoping he proves me wrong though :)

An excellent post Renton.

The vast majority of our squad is unproven at 1st Division level and, therefore, genuine predictions are extremely hard to make. I don't believe we'll finish bottom (cheers Mr Massone) and I'm not overly impressed with the additions to Ayr's squad.

Working on the presumption that we'll be the three at the bottom then we're not gonna collapse in the manner that some seem to expect. It's also worth noting that first Division might be a step up but La Liga it ain't.

Assuming you're talking about Sloanaldo and not Marco Pelosi...

I'd feel much happier if he was getting a full pre-season behind him. Without wanting to be cruel, he's not exactly the leanest of specimens, particularly at the start of the season. Often you'll see players who really struggle if their pre-season is disrupted, and I feel that Rob Sloan might be more susceptible than most.

Here's hoping he proves me wrong though :)

Um, I was being sarcastic. Sorry.

I know :)

I was really making a separate point, rather than arguing yours.

Hey Dunc, why have you annexed another man's user name?

Edited by renton

I know :)

I was really making a separate point, rather than arguing yours.

Your general point was excellent.

Still though, Sloan will usually have a mid-season dip due to his fitness levels being roughly on par with mine. Perhaps, giving him an extra month or two before he's operating at 100% may bode well for us later in the season. Slight clutching at straws I'll admit but it's not far from the truth.

That's one of the reasons I never took advantage of the name-changing thing, if you immediately realised you've screwed up you've got a month before you can change it back, right?

(Plus, Yoss suits me well anyway.)

That's one of the reasons I never took advantage of the name-changing thing, if you immediately realised you've screwed up you've got a month before you can change it back, right?

(Plus, Yoss suits me well anyway.)

I know a guy called Yoss aswell, that was back in the no. 68 days. He's also an East Fife fan <_< , but genuinely a great guy.

What possibilities now with Marv reportedly having been offered terms with Accies.

One good left back, allowing Ellis into central defence, and with most of our midfield quite capable of playing in defence were not too bad in that area.

I just wonder if this could persuade the manager to go for 2 strikers now instead of one.

Guest Dunc?

I wouldn't say most of our midfield is capable of playing in defence.

I would say that Iain Davidson is capable of playing in defence, although some would argue that. Mark Ferry has played a game or two at left back, but without really being challenged.

On a slightly related point... Numbers, and anyone else who watched a few Under 19 games last season, what's the general consensus on Craig Wedderburn? I'm not really interested in whether he's ready for the first team or not, because I think the reserve games will bring on the Youth players maturity massively, but rather I'd like to know what type of player he is. He's a fairly tall lad, but I seem to remember that he's quite skinny too. Is he strong in the air and weak on the ground, or is he a more multi-skilled defender. And is he physically strong, or is he quite easily out muscled?

I just wonder if this could persuade the manager to go for 2 strikers now instead of one.

Just depends on the players available. He does need at least one more defender of some sort, but there's enough flexibility within the current squad to allow him to sign players in any position if they're the right players and work round it (although we don't particularly need any more midfielders).

Difficult to answer Dunc. Yep he is tall, 6-4 i think. I wont say hes built like a tank, but he certainly aint skinny. Maybe slightly below average build for his height.

Hes not too bad either in the air or on the ground, but needs experience at this higher level. One thing about him i did like on the few occasions i saw him play. He does try to pass the ball out of defence when possible, but he certainly isnt afraid to give the ball a huge heave ho if needs be.

Like all the juniors, i hope he gets his chance and is helped by his playing partners, ie lawrie, sparky and davo.

To be honest folks the quality in the first division is in no great state either. If you stay organised, take your chances when the come along you don't have to fear any side. There were several times last year where we would dominate possession in games without creating chances and paid for it as the season unfolded. The one thing your squad has proved so far, even though many fans feel there isn't alot of quality, you can definatly scrap and win games ugly, and when it gets to winter time (poor pitches and bad weather) and the business end of the season thats a big attribute to have.

Good post.

This aint some hyper mega super league we have entered.

Staying up will be tough, yes. Impossible? No.