The New Raith Rovers Thread

That was probably the bit when Eric said "He has an impressive CV"

You're close it was actually ".......and was a consistently high achiever at primary school"

So the Board have rushed to appoint a manager who has a poor record, no league experience and whose teams play a style of football that none of us want to see. Against it appears the wishes of the majority of fans. And have given him a 2 year contract. Staggering.

Can someone please tell me this is all a joke..

Some of the comments on this thread relating to Gary Locke's appointment border on criminal. Supporters? Come on lads, get a grip. By all means have an opinion, however some of the stuff being typed is just ludicrous.

Managers and coaches work differently at each club and who is to say that Gary Locke can't work wonders at Raith Rovers?

Gie the boy a chance,

So the Board have rushed to appoint a manager who has a poor record, no league experience and whose teams play a style of football that none of us want to see. Against it appears the wishes of the majority of fans. And have given him a 2 year contract. Staggering.

Can someone please tell me this is all a joke..

Yes, this is just the beta version, it will have been perfected by the time it gets to the Festival.

Right I've said my peace and I'm fed up complaining about something we can't change so we're just going to have to accept this and hope he hits the ground running in a less challenging league than he's used too.

If Barr signs and he brings in a good addition to the squad quickly we may start to feel a whole let better.

Cmon Gary make me and loads of others look like fannys by proving us wrong.

As an outsider i have to say that this looks like an incredibly shit appointment. Hopefully for the sake of the Rovers I'll be proved wrong. I imagine that a lot of the Raith supporters are feeling like I did when we appointed John Brown, completely bewildered.

Bobby Barr tweeting that he just met 'the new gaffer' at least that means he's probably going to complete his move.

That leaves Locke realistically looking for two wide midfielders, one, preferably two forwards and a left back (almost certainly McHattie).

Edited by renton

If Craig Barr signs back on, can we try and get Darren Barr as well, then give them sequential squad numbers? 5. B.Barr 6. C.Barr 7. D.Barr etc etc....

Edited by renton

I'll make a stupid statement here - even if Locke does well, it's still an awful decision to give him the job.

Now bear with me. The choices, it seems, were to appoint someone doing a great job with part-time clubs (Aitken, Young) but inexperienced, or someone who has done well in some jobs, poorer in others (Smith, Lennon). Or Locke, who hasn't just failed but failed abjectly in his two jobs.

So what happened that we've ended up with him?

Of course I'll give him a chance but I cannot understand, at all, why he's got the job. What has he done - hearts, Killie, LinkedIn, radio - that suggests he's anything other than a laughing stock?

Goodness me. I keep saying it over and over in my head. Gary Locke?

Gary Locke for f**k sake.... Gary Locke?!

copied from fantalk

2 seperate posts.from fantalk

Has everyone forgotten the circumstances in which Locke had to operate at Hearts? The man inherited a car crash of a situation and had a fantastic end to the season with a team largely made up of kids. I can't remember the Maths but I recall that he nearly got them over the line even after the points deduction. 

Comparing that with managing Albion Rovers is frankly ludicrous.

I agree with northern rover. I felt he was hard done by hearts. They went into administration, deducted points and only missed out on staying. He also got them to a cup final. Was surprised when Mrs hearts came in and sacked him.

The clown got us relegated before the split. The first time ever a team was relegated before the split. If that's nearly getting us over the line :lol:

hearts were deducted 15 points through no fault of his own and killie never got relegated but it was a struggle.

And, to be fair, his options for the back four that entire season were Brad McKay, Dylan McGowan (that's Dylan, not Ryan) Jordan McGhee, Danny Wilson, Kevin McHattie, and...Jamie Hamill.

I'd add a vey young Calum Paterson to that, but Locke played him up front, where we had even fewer options.

When you consider that, Hearts had very little chance to begin with.

It's surely fairer to judge Locke on his performance at Killie, which was pish.

I was hoping for a more exciting appointment but will give the lad a chance. After all we almost have the same squad as last season so who knows what they can achieve next season COYR

Players need a gaffer who inspires and sets out appropriate tactics, not one who perspires and has a head full of tictacs