The New Raith Rovers Thread

You lot could do a lot worse than Young at Albion. Ambitious young manager who has worked well with limited resources and not one of the usual faces.

Had a pretty uncomfortable sleep last night due to not having any bed sheets

Whilst can understand utd wanting mckinnon think they are pretty scummy the way they have gone about it.

We'll just have to beat them in the play offs next season.

Thats a nice thought, I think we can get someone decent in and get there again. Its not that big a deal losing our manager. 

still hope their chairmans next passing is a hedgehog tho. 

The fact that it's less than 48 hours since we lost to Hibs and he could be appointed today as Utd's new manager just makes me think McKinnon's heart really wasn't in it at the end. I do think the way McKinnon dealt with the questions and attention this week for that job leaves a lot to be desired.

Also it's pretty clear that Stephen Thompson knew exactly what he was doing. It's appears that he's leaked the interest to the press and that clearly unsettled the whole club. As I said having a board room meeting at another club's stadium the morning of a 2nd leg play-off match should just never happen. Thompson and Utd have shown absolutely no class or respect here but it's really all you can expect from Thompson as that appears to be the type of person he is.

As for a new manager...none of the names mentioned so far inspire me with any great deal of optimism. We've also got to deal with competition from Queen of the South. The problem is no candidate is standing out so it appears to be the only options are the tried and tested.

It's not taken long for guys to start berating the man who has just given us an excellent season and brought some very good players to the club before he's even signed with another team and without knowing any of the circumstances of how its come about. Stay classy guys.

We lost the play-off because Hibs are better than us, not because of anything that may or may not have been happening with Dundee United.

It is frustrating from a fans point of view.  Instead of excitement and expectation about the game, the build up was dominated by talk of Mckinnon.  That is not ideal, no matter what anyone says.

Its a let down - to be talking about the managers immediate future in the run up to a season defining play off game? Thats not right at all.

Also it's pretty clear that Stephen Thompson knew exactly what he was doing. It's appears that he's leaked the interest to the press and that clearly unsettled the whole club. As I said having a board room meeting at another club's stadium the morning of a 2nd leg play-off match should just never happen. Thompson and Utd have shown absolutely no class or respect here but it's really all you can expect from Thompson as that appears to be the type of person he is.

I've mentioned this before on another thread. It is exactly what Thompson and Utd did to Inverness last October in their clumsy attempts to speak to John Hughes - just as you say no class or respect.

ICT were sailing along quite nicely until Utd decided to try and sound out Yogi - now relations between the club, the manager and the supporters are at an all time low. That situation is unlikely to change until Hughes moves on.

We lost the play-off because Hibs are better than us, not because of anything that may or may not have been happening with Dundee United.

Hibs are undoubtedly better than us, but considering we went into the game with a 1-0 lead, it was far from an impossible task. I can't help but think the players and the management would've been better prepared for the game, mentally as much as anything else, if there wasn't this level of distraction.

We all know how the world works. McKinnon has been speaking to United (or a representative) before official permission was granted. I don't blame him for that, ultimately it's a job he wants and he's got to play the game to get it, but that doesn't make it any easier to digest.

I know United have got to look after number one, but given their season isn't even finished yet, and they already know they're being relegated, would a few extra days wait have killed them? Or, you know, hold a series of interviews that in some way resemble a modern recruitment strategy.

We all feel the same way about this. I'm as gutted as anyone, but we've had a very good season and I'll still wish Ray McKinnon all the best for it. That's football. We just move on with what looks like still a strong squad. Few decent additions and who knows what will happen next season. I refuse to lose my glass half full attitude

Just bring Calderon back and that's it. I convinced myself the last time he was getting the job when Ray got it

He's not away yet but if things were to break down between McKinnon and Utd and he never took the job then the damage is already done I'm afraid. Yes he's given us a great season but it'd struggle to back someone that's clearly not wanting to be here any longer. Any vacancy that comes up from a bigger team in the future would have fans on tenterhooks thinking he'll be away. 

Great squad assembled,seen the Rovers a few time under Mr McKinnon. At present you've a better side than my team, whatever you do...don't do Mixu. Sorry for nicking your man hope compo is decent. Bad timing,but that's what we do,don't call us DABS for nothing! Good luck for season ahead,you'll get your own back during it nae doubt?

He's not away yet but if things were to break down between McKinnon and Utd and he never took the job then the damage is already done I'm afraid. Yes he's given us a great season but it'd struggle to back someone that's clearly not wanting to be here any longer. Any vacancy that comes up from a bigger team in the future would have fans on tenterhooks thinking he'll be away. 

To be fair, that's the same for any competent, successful manager I'd guess.

We all feel the same way about this. I'm as gutted as anyone, but we've had a very good season and I'll still wish Ray McKinnon all the best for it. That's football. We just move on with what looks like still a strong squad. Few decent additions and who knows what will happen next season. I refuse to lose my glass half full attitude

Just bring Calderon back and that's it. I convinced myself the last time he was getting the job when Ray got it

I'd take Calderon. The team peppered with a few Spanish and Argentinian-with-an-EU-passport flair players would be quality. If there is any manager who has unfinished business at the Rovers it's him. Get Paquito in as assistant and we've got the old Paquito-Calderon chant back. He tweeted a picture of a chalk board outside a pub in Mallorca advertising the Rangers v Raith game and wished us luck. A good guy, still thinks of the Rovers clearly.

Edit: I see he's a first team coach at Grenada. That's a pretty good gig. Unlikely as it was doubt we'd have a chance at all now.

Edited by Enigma

Absolutely gutted about Ray.  For once we had a manager that seemed to have a decent footballing brain.  It's unfortunate but we need to move on quickly and try and build on the momentum of this season.....we have a great core of a team with some good youth prospects coming through and off the field we are growing as a club year on year so I think we will continue to head in the right direction.

Darren Young would be a good shout for the post.  In his first 2 years won a league title and kept them up in league 1.  Seems to be an ambitious young manager so could be a good fit.

Jack Ross also looks to be a very good young coach.

Stuart McCall would be a great appointment but its unlikely he would come to us.

I hope we refrain from appointing the likes of Gus Mcpherson or Brian Reid etc I feel they have found their levels.

Other possibilities are Ian Murray, Gary Naysmith, Danny Lennon, Terry Butcher etc

Hopefully whoever comes in has the ability to keep the squad harmony the same as this season.

Edited by Rover1990

Darren Young would be a good shout for the post.  In his first 2 years won a league title and finished 3rd in league 1 qualifying for play-offs.  Seems to be an ambitious young manager so could be a good fit.

Actually Albion Rovers finished 6th and were not in the playoffs.

They still had a very good season mind.

Actually Albion Rovers finished 6th and were not in the playoffs.

They still had a very good season mind.

My bad thought I read somewhere about them finishing in the play-offs, 2 points of is still a good achievement with what he has at his disposal.  Has good potential.

Edited by Rover1990

As mentioned its pretty frustrating to have a good solid season, signing on some of our better players, youth development looking good, players and fans confidence high. Now with this it leaves a bit of a bitter taste after what should be a time we are looking forward to next season it leaves us fearing a bit what B list manager we will end up with. 

That being said heres one a bit from left field, George Burley. Discuss lol