The New Raith Rovers Thread

what everyone else said - be nice to keep momentum through the next couple of games and then rest players just for Livi.

On the other hand I'd be a bit reluctant to play Falkirk with the same team we'd be playing if we were to meet them again ten days later, but there's enough options now to be able to rotate the forward line a bit without it being a second string. I'd leave Craigen in for that game though, be interesting to see how he handles it.

Would we get fined for playing a weakened team in the last game if Livi can still survive? If not, then we shouldn't be risking key players 3 days before the play-offs start.

From memory we left out some key players in those circumstances when we were away to Cowdenbeath in last game a couple of seasons ago. They still couldn`t beat us though thanks to a very late Bob McHugh goal which condemned them to the paly-offs. They stayed up beating Dunfermline so worked out well for them in any case.

From memory we left out some key players in those circumstances when we were away to Cowdenbeath in last game a couple of seasons ago. They still couldn`t beat us though thanks to a very late Bob McHugh goal which condemned them to the paly-offs. They stayed up beating Dunfermline so worked out well for them in any case.

We played a shadow side against Cowden with only 3 or 4 1st choice players but still got the point which put them in the playoffs instead of Alloa. We played slightly more first teamers but still far from a first choice 11 at Livingston last season and lost the game probably as a result which put Cowden down and Alloa in the playoffs.

It's a difficult one for Raith. They have three games left and the last thing you want to do is take your foot off the gas. It's difficult to re-establish momentum when it's lost. We never actually formally confirmed our playoff spot until match 35 in either season so didn't have to worry about the couple of games before. If I was Raith I wouldn't do much tinkering in the next week or two though clearly playing a shadow side in the last game is likely with the playoffs only a few days later. That's unfortunate for Dumbarton who may be counting on them to get a result at Livingston. However, they will no doubt be keeping an eye on the suspension position. No idea if they have anyone a booking away from suspension but if they do then they'll either want them booked against Falkirk so they serve their ban against Livingston, or they'll be leaving them out for the rest of the season to avoid being suspended in the playoffs.

Conversely if someone is sitting on a potential ban watch the daft yellows getting picked up to get it out the way

As already noted that will need to happen this week. Bans take a fortnight to come into effect so if they want serve it before the playoffs they need to already be sitting on 5 bookings and get the 6th this coming weekend.

Just out of interest, how do folk think this current side compares with the other Raith teams since we were relegated from the top tier in '97?

Think we finished third under Nicholl that first season back in the First, but I don't remember being particularly keen on that team for some reason.

I had a soft spot for the side McVeigh had, although that may have been because it had Sacha Opinel and JP Javary in it if I mind right. They finished fifth though.

I loved Antonio Calderon's team of foreigners, but in reality, they probably weren't very good, as much as it pains me to say it.

As for McGlynn's team, while they gave us some pretty amazing moments, I often found watching them a chore, even when we were doing well.

I'm not saying McKinnon's side is the best of the last 20 years or so, but it compares pretty favourably when you look at it.

My favourite team since 97 would probably be the 2nd division champion winners from 2009. I really liked the front three of Wales, Weir and Smith. Sadly we never really got to see how well they would have done in the next division as Wales emigrated to Australia, Smith went to that football giant known as Notts County and Weir's formed dipped so much he didn't score for 3 years.

Edit - Not sure how they would do against the current team. Probably a 1-0 win for the current team.

Edited by mrpaddyx

As already noted that will need to happen this week. Bans take a fortnight to come into effect so if they want serve it before the playoffs they need to already be sitting on 5 bookings and get the 6th this coming weekend.

What's the story with the play-offs and bookings accrued in them? E.g. a player is on five bookings, gets booked in the first-leg of the play-off QF. Does he miss any matches in the play-offs themselves, are suspensions carried onto next season, or is no notice paid? Same question for rec cards, I suppose.

In a sensible world yellow cards shouldn't matter as they're 'over and above' the number of matches most teams play. But this is the SPFL so I'd be curious if anybody knew.

Jimmy Nic was well gone by the millennium, Silky Hetherston was in charge at that point.

Good grief so he was, I had it firmly lodged in my head that it was JN that allowed Didier Agathe to go back to La Reunion for Christmas as long as he was back for the millennium derby.

That team with Marv, Burns, Tosh and Agathe was good. Same team same period but wrong manager  :oops

Conversely if someone is sitting on a potential ban watch the daft yellows getting picked up to get it out the way

A few seasons back I saw Arbroath beat East Stirlingshire, think it was 5-1, totally routine and they walked it. Jamie Bishop scored the fifth, whipped off his shirt and ran the full length of the pitch whirling it above his head. Even the ref was having a laugh about it as he booked him.

Turned out he was in just the same boat, one booking away from suspension and wanted to get it out the way before the play-offs. So if we've got anyone needing to do it this Saturday, I hope they can pull it off with the same style.

Just out of interest, how do folk think this current side compares with the other Raith teams since we were relegated from the top tier in '97?

Think we finished third under Nicholl that first season back in the First, but I don't remember being particularly keen on that team for some reason.

I had a soft spot for the side McVeigh had, although that may have been because it had Sacha Opinel and JP Javary in it if I mind right. They finished fifth though.

I loved Antonio Calderon's team of foreigners, but in reality, they probably weren't very good, as much as it pains me to say it.

As for McGlynn's team, while they gave us some pretty amazing moments, I often found watching them a chore, even when we were doing well.

I'm not saying McKinnon's side is the best of the last 20 years or so, but it compares pretty favourably when you look at it.

In terms of points tallies, since winning the First Division in 1995 our best finishes in this league have been:

97/98 - 3rd place, 60 points. 

99/00 - 5th place, 59 points. 

10/11 - 2nd place, 60 points.

Unless Hibs have a truly extreme collapse, we'll finish 4th and currently have 55 points with three matches to play. So the opportunity is certainly there for this team, in terms of points tally at least, to be the best we've had in this league since 1995. I would also argue that this league is tougher, on paper, than in the other three seasons due to the presence of two clubs with far bigger budgets than the rest in Rangers and Hibs.

Incidentally we won the Second Division under Calderon with 59 points, 15 points above relegated Stranraer. Crazy.

Edited by Paco

Good to see a decent turn out for Ally's game today. Due to the timing of the train back from Dumfries stopped me from making it.

Buzzing about the playoffs being secured. Intelligent thing now would be to rotate against Dumbarton & Livi and field a decent team against Falkirk.

Incidentally we won the Second Division under Calderon with 59 points, 15 points above relegated Stranraer. Crazy.

We should have got a lot more points than that. IIRC we were miles clear than managed to lose 5 or 6 in a row near the end of the season before beating Brechin City to win at the last home game. I remember this clearly as this was the only game I could make for the last couple of months of the season and I was half hoping they would keep on losing so that I could be there the day they won the title.

We should have got a lot more points than that. IIRC we were miles clear than managed to lose 5 or 6 in a row near the end of the season before beating Brechin City to win at the last home game. I remember this clearly as this was the only game I could make for the last couple of months of the season and I was half hoping they would keep on losing so that I could be there the day they won the title.

Was it not Berwick the league was won against?

Was it not Berwick the league was won against?

Yes, it was. That was our only win in the last eight games, and followed three straight defeats when we'd only needed that one more win to stagger over the finishing line.