The New Raith Rovers Thread

There are basically six players that if we could tie down would be absolutely fantastic.

Barr

Rory

Cuthbert

Connelly

Longridge

Hardie

Got quite a bad feeling about it all however... May be lucky to get one or two!

On a totally unrelated point - what happened to that survey we all did for designing the colours of the away top? Is that going to come to anything?

Really hope Barr resigns next, I forgot how good he was & him and Bene have been solid!! Heard a rumour McKeown is signing for Falkirk next season...I really hope this is not true!

I heard that rumour too. Supposedly they are interested in both McKeown and Cuthbert. Don't blame them, they have been excellent this season.

We will most likely be in the market for a CB and winger, would like to think Barr and Connolly are getting looked at.

If Connolly doesent sign on with us, he would be making a step up I think - highly doubt he would go to Dunfermline.

I'd be gutted if we lost either Rory or Cuthbert, but if we're likely to be cutting our budget I can understand if they're keeping their options open.

If we sign any of Aidan or Hardie again I'd be delighted.

That's why I couldn't understand giving Robertson another year - if we are cutting next year's budget then I'd prefer us to focus on guys that give 100% every game, not ones that just let people run past them & can't tackle a fish supper.

There seems to be folk giving Robertson an almighty benefit of the doubt just now, due to Ray and the team being on a tremendous run of form but playing behind Daly doesn't excuse lack of effort in midfield as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm essentially saying is we can't carry passengers on our budget, nor gamble on someone who hasn't had a good season with us having a better one next year. Ray obviously thinks he'll bring some calmness & composure to the midfield whereby others bring energy and that's his only saving grace in my mind, but it isn't enough to say he's earned a new deal when money is in short supply

No supporter could have come out and said he'd be gutted if Robertson didn't re-sign and that to me says everything.

I'd rather keep Mckeown over Cuthbert if I'm being honest. I think a settled left back is harder to come by than a goalkeeper especially with the witch on the books.

Speaking of the witch, if Cuthbert doesn't sign then I wonder if he has any chance next season of forcing his way back in? Ray seemed to have the "no part time players wanted" attitude for this season, I wonder if a budget cut will force him to change his mind on that and give Davie a chance to prove himself?

Speaking of the witch, if Cuthbert doesn't sign then I wonder if he has any chance next season of forcing his way back in? Ray seemed to have the "no part time players wanted" attitude for this season, I wonder if a budget cut will force him to change his mind on that and give Davie a chance to prove himself?

Hope so, wouldn't want his time with us to just fizzle out

That's why I couldn't understand giving Robertson another year - if we are cutting next year's budget then I'd prefer us to focus on guys that give 100% every game, not ones that just let people run past them & can't tackle a fish supper.

There seems to be folk giving Robertson an almighty benefit of the doubt just now, due to Ray and the team being on a tremendous run of form but playing behind Daly doesn't excuse lack of effort in midfield as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm essentially saying is we can't carry passengers on our budget, nor gamble on someone who hasn't had a good season with us having a better one next year. Ray obviously thinks he'll bring some calmness & composure to the midfield whereby others bring energy and that's his only saving grace in my mind, but it isn't enough to say he's earned a new deal when money is in short supply

No supporter could have come out and said he'd be gutted if Robertson didn't re-sign and that to me says everything.

The squad will shrink relative to the number of available players. We effectively have five strikers on the books just now (one of whom is a long term injury), and we'll start next season probably with three. We currently have four guys for the two wide spots (Craigen, Anderson, Connolly and Longridge) and no doubt that'll go down to three dedicated with Stewart able to play there if needed. We're definitely losing Petrie, almost certainly losing McCord. We already have four guys for two centre back spots, which effectively forces one or more into contention for central midfield, where for next year we now have 5 guys (Callachan, Robertson, Davidson, Toshney and Matthews). Given that two of them might be needed for central defence at any given time, and that Matthews is very much a sitting midfielder, we do need someone other than callachan who can press up the pitch and play the ball a bit, and there aren't that many guys of decent quality at our level like that, so no - he hasn't had a great season, but he's not been so bad that he isn't worth another shot (and we don't know what wages he's accepted to stay for, mind - or whether that's from external sponsorship), hell we even have 4 keepers on the books still: Cuthbert, mcGurn, Laidlaw and Law.

No doubt McKinnon has spent the season and not jus tthe summer re-shaping the squad to give him a better quality first 11, no doubt even some of the guys he brought in maybe haven't done as well as he or they would've liked while this season Matthews and Bates has stepped up and made themselves a first team player (just as Callachan and Vaughan did last season). As such the squad has actually a fair extra number of bodies in it - and we could easily lose 4-5 bodies with out impacting the number of guys for each slot).

Edited by renton

I'm sick of McKinnon moaning about the budget he seems to forget that he pished money against the wall on:

Laidlaw (McGurn was a perfect back up )

Petrie (did he start a league match?)

Megginson (pretty obvious he didn't want him in the first place )

Daly

I can't remember if Anderson was signed before or after McKinnon so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one

Mcglynn and Murray didn't get near the external backing that has been sought for McKinnon, granted he's working wonders but he needs to wind that budget line in

Fair enough Renton. I suppose we're already losing pongo so it'll be interesting to see next season if he plays Davo or Toshney with Bene (Barr no doubt away now) and wants 3 of Ross/Robertson/Davo/Toshney in the centre with Matthews waiting for his chance again.

I've been proved wrong with Davo this season so fingers crossed it happens next season with Robertson too

If Connolly doesent sign on with us, he would be making a step up I think - highly doubt he would go to Dunfermline.

With Raith Rovers having the smallest full time budget I'd imagine he wouldn't be averse to playing half an hour along the road for a bit more coin.

He got released by a Utd team stranded on the bottom, unsure whether another SPL side would take him on so soon.

With Raith Rovers having the smallest full time budget I'd imagine he wouldn't be averse to playing half an hour along the road for a bit more coin.

He got released by a Utd team stranded on the bottom, unsure whether another SPL side would take him on so soon.

Like I said, I expect he would be making a step up.

I'm not saying your wrong but I'd like to think that Rovers are throwing as much as we conceivably can at him to stop him going to a team who we are likely to be competing with top 4 for next season, I don't think he will get a move to the SPL either so he should be one of the first players we try and nail down. It's players like Connoly and Toshney who take you from an average mid table side to a good playoff side.

I'd take longridge over Connolly if I had to choose one. Is he out of contract with Hamilton in the summer ?

Longridge not had a bad game since came back from injury, he more of a team player plus offers a bit of height

Connelly is good but not a team player and usually runs into trouble rather than passing.

No disrespect but Connolly is a match winner and probably the most skillful player at the club. Would rather have him playing for us than against us. We should be doing everything we can to sign him on a 2 year deal.