The New Raith Rovers Thread

It seems like if we lose out on 4th, it'll be because we've been weirdly uncompetitive against HIbs and Rangers, particularly the former. Indeed, it's really only our head to head with those around us that have kept us in this race.

It seems like if we lose out on 4th, it'll be because we've been weirdly uncompetitive against HIbs and Rangers, particularly the former. Indeed, it's really only our head to head with those around us that have kept us in this race.

If you take out games v the top 3, we have actually only lost only 2 in 16.

If you take out games v the top 3, we have actually only lost only 2 in 16.

Yeah, I realised that after I posted it. certainly a few to many draws in that 14 game run, particularly those two brutal Dumbarton draws. I dunno, I think we are unlucky in so much as we won't catch Hibs on a bad day, we played them 3 times already and no doubt they'll have recovered from their tailspin by the time we see them again. It's just we always looks so uncompetititve against Rangers, where other teams give it a good go. No doubt last night was partially due to McKinnon's largely changed team - he's obviously trying to conserve strength for the St Mirren and Queens double header.

Yeah, I realised that after I posted it. certainly a few to many draws in that 14 game run, particularly those two brutal Dumbarton draws. I dunno, I think we are unlucky in so much as we won't catch Hibs on a bad day, we played them 3 times already and no doubt they'll have recovered from their tailspin by the time we see them again. It's just we always looks so uncompetititve against Rangers, where other teams give it a good go. No doubt last night was partially due to McKinnon's largely changed team - he's obviously trying to conserve strength for the St Mirren and Queens double header.

In fairness I don't blame him for that change. At least we weren't destroyed like we did last season. We have key personnel missing so it was best for a damage limitation point of view. But if we have any desire to fight for fourth, we should be giving the teams above us a run for their money. Hope we aren't too tired for the buddies game on Saturday.

Find the Thomas signing pretty strange to be honest. I realise we're going to lose Harry for a game but we've still got Stewart and Hardie as well as Connolly and Anderson in an attacking sense. Surely we can cope with that without having to sign another striker. Seems like a total waste of cash.

Find the Thomas signing pretty strange to be honest. I realise we're going to lose Harry for a game but we've still got Stewart and Hardie as well as Connolly and Anderson in an attacking sense. Surely we can cope with that without having to sign another striker. Seems like a total waste of cash.

If Stewart is injured (taken off on Saturday - not in the squad tonight), as well as Longridge (remember him) and with Vaughan being no where near fit it takes us back to two guys who are comfortable playing through the middle - Harry and Hardie, and Harry is gonna be missing for at least ten days (and if he get's injured while away?).

The other apsect of it is that mcKinnon obviously thinks there is a place for a big physical forward - that 'something different' being why he signed Daly of course.

Edited by renton

If Stewart is injured (taken off on Saturday - not in the squad tonight), as well as Longridge (remember him) and with Vaughan being no where fit it takes us back to two guys who are comfortable playing through the middle - Harry and Hardie, and Harry is gonna be missing for at least ten days (and if he get's injured while away?).

The other apsect of it is that mcKinnon obviously thinks there is a place for a big physical forward - that 'something different' being why he signed Daly of course.

I get that but does it warrant the outlay of another striker until the end of the season? Forgot about Longridge, so we've signed him, Connolly, Harry, Hardie and now Thomas in an attacking sense since January. Budget? What budget? Looks like McKinnon gets everything he wants. Surely this is when the likes of Court get their chance instead of some guy who's been hanging about for weeks on end and seen us sign striker after striker before him. If McKinnon wanted the 'different' option up front, why has he waited until now?

I get that but does it warrant the outlay of another striker until the end of the season? Forgot about Longridge, so we've signed him, Connolly, Harry, Hardie and now Thomas in an attacking sense since January. Budget? What budget? Looks like McKinnon gets everything he wants. Surely this is when the likes of Court get their chance instead of some guy who's been hanging about for weeks on end and seen us sign striker after striker before him. If McKinnon wanted the 'different' option up front, why has he waited until now?

We've added Longridge, Panayiotou, Connolly, Hardie and Thomas. In the same time frame we've lost Daly, Wighton, Megginson and Petrie (on loan and probably wasn't getting paid a lot anyway - but still) Callum Robertson was also let go, though again, he wouldn't have been using up huge wages. We aren't paying the full wages for the three loan players (Longridge, Panayiotou and Hardie). I doubt Daly was cheap either, so I'm not sure the budget's taken a huge hit.

In fairness as well, McKinnon showed some interest in Thomas first time out, who subsequently left to pursue an offer in France (that didn't come to anything). Court may not be ready to step up yet either.

edited to add: McKinnon apparently has no problem at all with playing youth, but he doesn't seem to like relying solely on younger guys. Panayiotou and Hardie are 18, Connolly is 20 - If Stewart is injured he maybe also wanted another 'senior' striker in.

As far as it goes, Thomas didn't look terrible last night, and for some games he might be useful to have.

Edited by renton

I was at your game last night after ours was postponed. I tried to send positive thoughts down to the Rovers players from the otherwise hostile Copeland Road stand :) . I thought Raith played well in the first half, surprised me to be honest because I've not always been too impressed by you lot as a footballing side in games against Alloa over the last few seasons.

Panayiutou looked a good wee player and Anderson was a threat on the left. I've obviously got a wee McCord bias given he gave me some great football memories at Alloa but I enjoyed seeing him play again, great touch and put a few lovely balls in front of his teammates. I thought he was missed when he was subbed with Raith then tending to send it long with little effect, albeit Rangers were on top at that stage as well. Ryan doesn't look any fitter than in his latter days at Alloa though. If you're likely to release Ryan and Anderson then send them to the Recs please.

Thought Raith defended well throughout. Unfortunate to go behind to a very good goal when Rangers weren't really offering too much of a threat.

Edited by Waspie

The next 3 games are far more important for us than last night's was ever going to be. Win all 3 and we're in a very strong position. Last night, and the recent home match against them, was all about keeping the score low, staying competitive and maybe grabbing a point. It wasn't to be but it's been far better than the constant drubbings we got last season (cup match aside).

Last night also gave some much needed game time to players like McCord, Anderson, Matthews and Barr and we weren't disgraced. We've got a lot of games coming up and it was correct for some important players not to and tire themselves out for 90 minutes chasing a ball around a pitch the size of Ibrox.

The failure to pick up any points against Hibs this season is a disappointment but Livi, Dumbarton, Morton and QOTS have all now taken points recently and we should be going into the match 2 weeks on Saturday with nothing to fear from them.

As for Anderson...if he could cross a ball then he'd probably be at a higher level. He has a lot of attributes to his game and he definitely one of the likeable players. But his crossing lets him down and ultimately will probably be why McKinnon lets him go. Still we don't know yet and Anderson might be happy to stay here and be a squad player next season, especially if he likes the way we're progressing as a club and the level of players McKinnon seems to wanting to attract.

I listened a bit to Sportsound last night and they were discussing that it was great piece of business for us to get Bobby Barr as they were all expecting him to go to a Premiership team.

That Queens result/Hibs Hibs'n it was a shocker for us.

To echo the poster above, we will have a good idea of whats what at 5pm after the alloa game. We have a hard run of fixtures in Q4 so we really need maximum/7 points I think. Whilst if we don't get that many we will still be in the mix, I think these are more likely opportunities of picking up points.

Pretty much shiteing it. Also can't make the StMirren or Queens games which I am irate about. Hopefully when I'm at alloa I will see our third win on the spin...

We've added Longridge, Panayiotou, Connolly, Hardie and Thomas. In the same time frame we've lost Daly, Wighton, Megginson and Petrie (on loan and probably wasn't getting paid a lot anyway - but still) Callum Robertson was also let go, though again, he wouldn't have been using up huge wages. We aren't paying the full wages for the three loan players (Longridge, Panayiotou and Hardie). I doubt Daly was cheap either, so I'm not sure the budget's taken a huge hit.

In fairness as well, McKinnon showed some interest in Thomas first time out, who subsequently left to pursue an offer in France (that didn't come to anything). Court may not be ready to step up yet either.

edited to add: McKinnon apparently has no problem at all with playing youth, but he doesn't seem to like relying solely on younger guys. Panayiotou and Hardie are 18, Connolly is 20 - If Stewart is injured he maybe also wanted another 'senior' striker in.

As far as it goes, Thomas didn't look terrible last night, and for some games he might be useful to have.

I'd much rather we used the money we're paying for Thomas (say it's £300 a week for 3 months - could be more) as part of next season's playing budget when it can be used on someone a bit less stop-gap. I accept that some players have been moved on but that just shows the scatter-gun approach we've had to strikers this year. At what point do you say 'enough's enough, get on with what you've got?'

We won't know if Court's ready unless he plays. Man Utd probably didn't think Marcus Rashford was ready but they were forced to play him as he was the next option among their kids and look how he's done. In reality, Court might only be needed for 15-20 mins here and there - if he's not ready for that then why are we bothering with him and what are the coaching team doing?

I'd much rather we used the money we're paying for Thomas (say it's £300 a week for 3 months - could be more) as part of next season's playing budget when it can be used on someone a bit less stop-gap. I accept that some players have been moved on but that just shows the scatter-gun approach we've had to strikers this year. At what point do you say 'enough's enough, get on with what you've got?'

We won't know if Court's ready unless he plays. Man Utd probably didn't think Marcus Rashford was ready but they were forced to play him as he was the next option among their kids and look how he's done. In reality, Court might only be needed for 15-20 mins here and there - if he's not ready for that then why are we bothering with him and what are the coaching team doing?

Court did piss all on loan this season tbf.

Court plays in reserve games and has been on loan to East Stirling this year. So the coaching team do see him. I'd imagine that different players develop at different rates and that they see potential, if not a more accomplished player who can carry part of the first team's goal effort. That's why we bother with him.

In January folk were raging at mcKinnon for not signing more strikers. Now folk are raging at him for signing too many.

Edited by renton

Longridge is out for 6 weeks, Stewart may have a worse injury than we hoped for, Harry has these ongoing international commitments and Hardie may only be here for another fortnight.

I was surprised we signed Thomas but given all of the above I can see why McKinnon wanted to take a punt on him.

He does seem able to loosen the purse strings more effectively than Murray ever was though.