The New Raith Rovers Thread

And so the last of the worst kept secrets are confirmed.

Another striker and a left midfielder to go then. I'd also be looking to get a loan striker in on top of that, but that can wait until the season is actually under way. That should stand us in good stead.

I've a feeling McGlynn is done with the signings for now, though.

And so the last of the worst kept secrets are confirmed.

Another striker and a left midfielder to go then. I'd also be looking to get a loan striker in on top of that, but that can wait until the season is actually under way. That should stand us in good stead.

I've a feeling McGlynn is done with the signings for now, though.

Same here, I'm not expectign a quick announcement on another striker just now, but would expect something before pre season training is back under way.

While I'd also like to see us bring in another wide player, I can't see it happening - or at the least, being a high priority.

Same here, I'm not expectign a quick announcement on another striker just now, but would expect something before pre season training is back under way.

While I'd also like to see us bring in another wide player, I can't see it happening - or at the least, being a high priority.

My own gut feeling is that McGlynn will look to get another striker in on loan and won't bother bringing in another permanently. Hopefully he's learned from last season about relying on loan strikers, and my instincts turn out to be wrong.

I'm don't think McGlynn will either. However, Darren Smith seemed annoyingly injury prone last season, and his general fitness seems to be doubtful. Whether that was a consequence of getting injured a lot I don't know, but Ideally we'll get someone else in. My main rationale for suspecting McGlynn won't bring anyone in, is that I suspect he'll be using Tadé wide right next year, with Williamson switching over to the left.

That said, I don't rate Williamson much. If I did, I wouldn't view this as any kind of priority.

I think the problem is that because we've got 3 (4 if you include Walker) people who can play on the wings, McGlynn doesn't see it as an issue of concern. If you look back at the last 3 years though, McGlynn has only sorted out areas if there has been a significant problem over a long period of time.

My own gut feeling is that McGlynn will look to get another striker in on loan and won't bother bringing in another permanently. Hopefully he's learned from last season about relying on loan strikers, and my instincts turn out to be wrong.

I'm don't think McGlynn will either. However, Darren Smith seemed annoyingly injury prone last season, and his general fitness seems to be doubtful. Whether that was a consequence of getting injured a lot I don't know, but Ideally we'll get someone else in. My main rationale for suspecting McGlynn won't bring anyone in, is that I suspect he'll be using Tadé wide right next year, with Williamson switching over to the left.

That said, I don't rate Williamson much. If I did, I wouldn't view this as any kind of priority.

I feel like he will. Even he said he'd be looking in that direction although he wouldn't rule out anothe rloan player if no one came to his attention tha the felt could do a job. In that respect I'd rather he got someone on loan rather than papped money on a player who is a waste of a wage just to say that the money was spent i.e. Neil Jansyck, Steve Manson etc etc

I feel like he will. Even he said he'd be looking in that direction although he wouldn't rule out anothe rloan player if no one came to his attention tha the felt could do a job. In that respect I'd rather he got someone on loan rather than papped money on a player who is a waste of a wage just to say that the money was spent i.e. Neil Jansyck, Steve Manson etc etc

That's good to hear.

Yeah, I'm obviously not wanting him to get in an absolute turkey for the sake of adding bodies, it's just that I'm sometimes uneasy with loan signings. Aside from the chance of us being left short when said player returns to their club (like last season), there's always the chance the loanee is as bad as Denis McLaughlin.

If possible, I'd like to see us try and get someone here permanently. That said, I'd be more than happy for a loanee to come in on top of that.

Edit: Manson, Janczyk and McLaughlin - good grief. Nightmares beckon tonight.

Edited by Michael W

That's good to hear.

Yeah, I'm obviously not wanting him to get in an absolute turkey for the sake of adding bodies, it's just that I'm sometimes uneasy with loan signings. Aside from the chance of us being left short when said player returns to their club (like last season), there's always the chance the loanee is as bad as Denis McLaughlin.

If possible, I'd like to see us try and get someone here permanently. That said, I'd be more than happy for a loanee to come in on top of that.

Edit: Manson, Janczyk and McLaughlin - good grief. Nightmares beckon tonight.

Just remember that we'll be seeing Winter and Fairbairn next season. sad.gif

Just remember that we'll be seeing Winter and Fairbairn next season. sad.gif

Thought Fairy was getting the boot at Cowden. Toorie Winter in the first should be a right bloody laugh though.

Would really love the club to sign Deuchar, I think the ways things are shaping the club is moving in the right direction, and I personally think Deuchar is the kind of player we need to help us to improve further.

Get in our annual loanee for the season, preferably a midfielder for depth and I reckon we've got a strong side there. Would love Johnny Russell to come back.

Sure, 'cause loaning a striker was a right fucking disaster the season before.

Sometimes signings work, sometimes not, I don't see that there's any general rule on whether a loan signing is more or less likely to be successful. We do need a striker but we can play it by ear - if the right player isn't available I'm quite comfortable starting the season with what we've got and seeing what becomes available.

Sure, 'cause loaning a striker was a right fucking disaster the season before.

Sometimes signings work, sometimes not, I don't see that there's any general rule on whether a loan signing is more or less likely to be successful. We do need a striker but we can play it by ear - if the right player isn't available I'm quite comfortable starting the season with what we've got and seeing what becomes available.

You've missed the point.

Last season, we were caught short up front when Kevin Smith returned to United. The only recognised striker we had at the club was Graeme Weir, who was injured frequently and struggled to make an impact when he did actually feature. McGlynn brought Tadé in with the view of playing him up front, but I'm sure even he'll admit that was a mistake. As a result, we were left very short up front and were struggling to score goals.

Skipping back a season to the point you made, we still had Gary Wales, Gareth Wardlaw and Graeme Weir there in the short space of time when Smith wasn't at the club. You also had Steven Hislop returning to fitness at the end of the season. Though the signing of Smith was nothing but a complete success, we had adequate cover to replace him when he couldn't play. That's not something you can say about last season.

The point I made had nothing to do with the effectiveness of any particular signing, but merely that dependence on loanees isn't a position you want to find yourself in. If they have to return to their club for whatever reason, you want to be sure that you have adequate cover to replace them.

I'd happilly see us bring in a lonee or two next season; I just hope that we're not getting ourselves caught short when they have to leave the club, that's all.

You've missed the point.

Last season, we were caught short up front when Kevin Smith returned to United. The only recognised striker we had at the club was Graeme Weir, who was injured frequently and struggled to make an impact when he did actually feature. McGlynn brought Tadé in with the view of playing him up front, but I'm sure even he'll admit that was a mistake. As a result, we were left very short up front and were struggling to score goals.

Skipping back a season to the point you made, we still had Gary Wales, Gareth Wardlaw and Graeme Weir there in the short space of time when Smith wasn't at the club. You also had Steven Hislop returning to fitness at the end of the season. Though the signing of Smith was nothing but a complete success, we had adequate cover to replace him when he couldn't play. That's not something you can say about last season.

The point I made had nothing to do with the effectiveness of any particular signing, but merely that dependence on loanees isn't a position you want to find yourself in. If they have to return to their club for whatever reason, you want to be sure that you have adequate cover to replace them.

I'd happilly see us bring in a lonee or two next season; I just hope that we're not getting ourselves caught short when they have to leave the club, that's all.

That's a question of whether or not they're young enough for us to loan them for the season or not rather than whether they're on loan at all.

You're quite right, I hope he isn't intending to cover the season with over 21s who we can only have for three months, but that's not quite the same issue. I've no problem with us relying on loan players if those are going to be better than the other options available.

We got caught out a bit with the loan situation last year, I'd only like to see us use it as a last resort.

We just need a proper striker! Baird will be a decent enough signing, but he aint the answer to the goals problem.

Depends what you mean by "last resort" - of course having the players on your own books would be the preferred option, particularly now we're tending to give out two year contracts, but if better players are avilable on loan then fine.

Every year McGlynn has been here we've started the season with everyone (including me) saying the squad was too small, but McGlynn knows better, he isn't going to panic and sign players for the sake of it.

Edited by Yoss