The New Raith Rovers Thread

No, he jogged around at half pace doing f**k all which is probably one of the top reasons he was released.

Sloan will always have a special place in my heart for scoring perhaps one of the most important Raith goals in recent times with that glorious free kick versus Brechin.

I think you missed the sarcasm there, Andy.

I wasn't saying we should have kept him, merely that some of the criticism he got was completely unjustified. In the 2nd, he laid on over 30 assists in two seasons, yet that wasn't enough for many. I'm not really sure what more people wanted from him.

People must be watching a different Davidson from me. The player I see who supposedly runs around like a headless chicken is putting constant pressure on key midfield players, panicking them into shit passes and often giving them a healthy wee reminder that they won't get any time on the ball.

Fair enough, he isn't our most consistent or most pleasing on the eye performer but every team needs a player like that who will do the donkey work.

People see the game differently.

What I see is a player who gives away possession, slows down our attacks by playing passes behind the intended target and one who is often caught out of position (due to aforementioned headless chicken running). He does have the odd decent game where the pressure he brings works reasonably well, but that's not really enough. IMO, he isn't good enough for this league, let alone being a regular starter. The team plays better without him.

Like Graeme Weir I can't fault the effort he puts in, but the ability just isn't there.

I think you missed the sarcasm there, Andy.

I wasn't saying we should have kept

him, merely that some of the criticism he got was completely unjustified. In the 2nd, he laid on over 30 assists in two seasons, yet that wasn't enough for many. I'm not really sure what more people wanted from him.

People see the game differently.

What I see is a player who gives away possession, slows down our attacks by playing passes behind the

intended target and one who is often caught out of position (due to aforementioned headless chicken running). He does have the odd decent game where the pressure he brings works reasonably well, but

that's not really enough. IMO, he isn't good enough for this league, let alone being a regular starter. The team plays better without him.

Like Graeme Weir I can't fault the effort he puts in, but the ability just isn't there.

I agree with Andy, Davidson gets alot of unfair critisism because he is a bit of a hot head. When he came back into the team when Simmons seemed intent on getting sent off every week I thought he was one of the better players. However I must admit I don't really appreiciate a player like Davo until he isn't there to do the dirty stuff.

I agree with Andy, Davidson gets alot of unfair critisism because he is a bit of a hot head. When he came back into the team when Simmons seemed intent on getting sent off every week I thought he was one of the better players. However I must admit I don't really appreiciate a player like Davo until he isn't there to do the dirty stuff.

Nah, I think much of the criticism is down to his lack of ability. There seems to be a dividing line in opinion: either Davidson is a poor player who we can do without, or he's a valuable player to the team. Unsurprisingly, I'm in the former category. I should save a word document detailing why I don't think Davidson is a good player, in order to stop wasting my time typing it all out again, so I'll leave it at this: he is exactly the kind of player we need to get rid off if we're to progress.

I certainly don't appreciate him when he isn't playing, I think we play better. Players who 'get stuck in' are often vastly over-rated, as people tend to gloss over their short comings.

Nah, I think much of the criticism is down to his lack of ability. There seems to be a dividing line in opinion: either Davidson is a poor player who we can do without, or he's a valuable player to the team. Unsurprisingly, I'm in the former category. I should save a word document detailing why I don't think Davidson is a good player, in order to stop wasting my time typing it all out again, so I'll leave it at this: he is exactly the kind of player we need to get rid off if we're to progress.

I certainly don't appreciate him when he isn't playing, I think we play better. Players who 'get stuck in' are often vastly over-rated, as people tend to gloss over their short comings.

Green point for you. :)

I have had many reservations about the midfield but have started adopting an "IN McGLYNN I TRUST" attitude and stopped worrying about it. He seems to know what he wants and thats fair enough by me....let the manager get on with it , his opinions have been correct so far, leave him alone. The club is on the right track stop bloody moaning.

I have had many reservations about the midfield but have started adopting an "IN McGLYNN I TRUST" attitude and stopped worrying about it. He seems to know what he wants and thats fair enough by me....let the manager get on with it , his opinions have been correct so far, leave him alone. The club is on the right track stop bloody moaning.

Totally agreesmile.gif

The '20 goal a season' striker is one of the two top laziest most brain dead cliches ever trotted out on Fantalk. The other of course being the 'we need a creative midfielder', it's as if a lot of these people sit facing the back of the south stand on a saturday, or are simply so clueless that they have no understanding of how football works outside of Pro Evo.

That is a fantastic phrase that I am going to steal off you.

I rely on you guys to let me know if anyone says anything interesting over there.

I don't have anything against the posters on fan talk and neither do I think they're stupid or that I'm better than them, but I have to say, I too, rely on the few posters on here that post any decent news that emerges from fan talk.

Davo is a prime example for this, he is an average player but seems above criticism because he "plays for the jersey" and "gives 110%" we had a fantastic work ethic throughout the whole team last season but you still need to have some form of skill. I got fustrated with Sloan because of lack of pace and his decision making speed, if he was a couple of yards faster and football brain a bit quicker he would still be in the SPL

I'm not even sure if I could believe that. He skulks around the pitch and every now or then he gets bored, pretends to karate kick a ball and instead goes right through an opposition player. He never seems to accept the blame for any of his wrong doings, his head appears to drop quicker than most players when we concede a goal and he makes me cringe when he flies up to a referee with his arms flapping and his eyes bulging. Apart from that, I don't rate his 'talent'. I wonder how many 'passes' of his have gone flying down Pratt Street?

I think that when Simmons isn't being an idiot, he brings more to the team than Davo. Davo just isn't good enough for this league.

100% agree. Unfortunately Simmons is quite often being an idiot, especially in the second half of this season.

I would describe myself as having this attitude too. I don't even sigh or swear when I look at the teamsheet and see Simmons and Davo in the middle of midfield, I just turn a blind eye and hope it goes away (in the nicest possible way).

Davo is by no means fantastic but at the same time not exactly terrible. In credit to him, we were missing a player who will commit themselves to tackles during the second half of the season for long periods. Christ knows what it would have been like without Dave and Bert in goals and defence. :unsure:

he is exactly the kind of player we need to get rid off if we're to progress.

I don't buy into this either, every single team in the world has a destroyer type player who does all the dirty work (Fletcher, Essien, Mascherano, Barry etc) this is what Davidson does for us and it often goes unnoticed by our support, I won't deny he has his flaws because of he didn't he wouldn't be at us.

I'm not even sure if I could believe that. He skulks around the pitch and every now or then he gets bored, pretends to karate kick a ball and instead goes right through an opposition player. He never seems to accept the blame for any of his wrong doings, his head appears to drop quicker than most players when we concede a goal and he makes me cringe when he flies up to a referee with his arms flapping and his eyes bulging. Apart from that, I don't rate his 'talent'. I wonder how many 'passes' of his have gone flying down Pratt Street?

Not great traits for the man with the armband.

I know this has been done to death, but I would like to see Mcglynn give the armband to either Sparky, Murray or Laurie this season. They are the true leaders on the park for us.

I don't buy into this either, every single team in the world has a destroyer type player who does all the dirty work (Fletcher, Essien, Mascherano, Barry etc) this is what Davidson does for us and it often goes unnoticed by our support, I won't deny he has his flaws because of he didn't he wouldn't be at us.

I'm not getting into any arguments about Davidson, it's been done to death and no matter what we say we know he's going to play, as captain, alongside Simmons in the middle so I'm going to be like St Starko and screw my eyes up, put my fingers in my ears and LA LA LA my way through some matches, but I wonder how many teams would be able to go away from home to Dunfermline, Ross County, Aberdeen and Dundee (ie our best four results of the season) without this "destroyer" and win, conceding one goal in the process. Not many I'd wager. We weren't crying out for someone to do that work at all while he was injured, our defence and for the most part (ie when Simmons wasn't acting the cock) our midfield was perfectly fine. Our problems were, quite obviously, going forward and we all know a player in Davidson's mould won't (and didn't) solve that.

McGlynn refuses to rule out a move for Kenny Deuchar.

http://www.thecourie...y15115083t0.asp

there's no doubting that would be a top notch signing for the Rovers, or anyone else in this division for that matter. Still, the article only really states the obvious, Mcglynn would be aff his trumpet to be ruling it out at this stage!

McGlynn refuses to rule out a move for Kenny Deuchar.

http://www.thecourie...y15115083t0.asp

I thought he'd ruled this out at the Supporters Club AGM or whatever the event was?

I'm not sure if he'd be a good signing. If I remember rightly, he struggled to score goals in this league when he was here with Gretna. On the hand, he'd at least provide us with a target to punt the ball at when we inevitibly resort to doing that.

The main worry for me, though, is his career. There's a guy that plays for Brechin who's a doctor ,and he is rarely available for selection. We'd maybe have to negotiate some kind of pay as you play deal, otherwise we could end up wasting money on a player whose day job renders him unavailable for matches. It's not as if doctors work on a 9-5, Mon-Fri basis; their shifts are a bit more complicated than that.

Edited to add: Fantastic news about Campbell.

Edited by Michael W

A poster on The Duffle said that Davie Crawford is going to Raith. Very good goalkeeper, sweeped up most our player of the year awards. He'll probably be second choice though after seeing that triple save from McGurn.