The New Raith Rovers Thread

Two More Signings Planned By Rovers

RAITH ROVERS manager John McGlynn plans just two more signings to prepare his side for life in the first division.

Having already snapped up Gregory Tade, Darren Smith and Iain Williamson, financial constraints mean McGlynn has scope only to add a further couple of bodies—a central defender and centre forward—to the squad.

If Marvin Andrews decides to re-sign that'll be the first vacancy filled. It's likely Raith will utilise a loan option to address the other.

"We're not going to have a big squad, we don't have the finance for that," said McGlynn.

"But in addition to making another two signings we'll be looking to youngsters like Craig Wedderburn, Lee Byrne and Mark Whatley to make a contribution. They'll have an opportunity to fight for first-team places.

"Marvin still hasn't decided what he is doing but we'll give him as long as he needs.

"It's wouldn't be a concern that he's not taking part in pre-season training with us. Having played World Cup qualifiers with Trinidad and Tobago in June he'll be fit enough and if anything what he's be needing just now is a break.

"As far as getting another striker is concerned I've almost made up my mind that'll we'll go down the loan road.

"That's something which has worked out well for us before—with David Goodwillie and Kevin Smith—and to be honest what's being pushed in front of me as far as out and out signings is concerned is not what I want.

"It may be that we'll have to wait a while to get a loan deal sorted out but I'm relaxed about that because that'll give Gregory and Graham Weir the chance to strike up a partnership in pre-season when we'll also give some of the younger ones their chance."

Meanwhile, Raith have, subject to SFA approval, fixed up another friendly.

Kilmarnock are now due at Stark's Park on Tuesday, July 28.

Two More Signings Planned By Rovers

RAITH ROVERS manager John McGlynn plans just two more signings to prepare his side for life in the first division.

Having already snapped up Gregory Tade, Darren Smith and Iain Williamson, financial constraints mean McGlynn has scope only to add a further couple of bodies—a central defender and centre forward—to the squad.

If Marvin Andrews decides to re-sign that'll be the first vacancy filled. It's likely Raith will utilise a loan option to address the other.

"We're not going to have a big squad, we don't have the finance for that," said McGlynn.

"But in addition to making another two signings we'll be looking to youngsters like Craig Wedderburn, Lee Byrne and Mark Whatley to make a contribution. They'll have an opportunity to fight for first-team places.

"Marvin still hasn't decided what he is doing but we'll give him as long as he needs.

"It's wouldn't be a concern that he's not taking part in pre-season training with us. Having played World Cup qualifiers with Trinidad and Tobago in June he'll be fit enough and if anything what he's be needing just now is a break.

"As far as getting another striker is concerned I've almost made up my mind that'll we'll go down the loan road.

"That's something which has worked out well for us before—with David Goodwillie and Kevin Smith—and to be honest what's being pushed in front of me as far as out and out signings is concerned is not what I want.

"It may be that we'll have to wait a while to get a loan deal sorted out but I'm relaxed about that because that'll give Gregory and Graham Weir the chance to strike up a partnership in pre-season when we'll also give some of the younger ones their chance."

Meanwhile, Raith have, subject to SFA approval, fixed up another friendly.

Kilmarnock are now due at Stark's Park on Tuesday, July 28.

Well, that's not massively promising to be honest. Our strikers this year are going to be Weir, Tade and A.N.Other.... plus cameo appearences from Gringo Bryce and Tam Graham. Unless A.N.Other is capable of the superhuman feats of Smith last year, I can see us struggling up front, and so we really need Andrews to sign as we can't afford to be weak up front and at the back.

Still, with the amount of friendlies we are playing and with the two cup games beofre the league start they should be fit enogh I suppose.

Edited by renton

Don't panic. No point in signing players for the sake of it at this stage if they're not good enough.

I hadn't realised the Williamson signing was confirmed.

Theres a difference between financial constraints and shutting the bank.

I cant think of a team in this division that wont bring a decent support to games. I just fail to see why we are so light on proven players. And this nonsense with Marvin Andrews is pathetic. We should give him a time limit, say another 3 days, and if he doesnt sign by then, let him go.

Theres a proven spl goal scorer looking for part time football, yet we are told its probably a loan striker we will go for.

Hello division 2 in 2010/2011

Okay then, what's our income and expditure over a year, how much of a wage budget have we got, how much of it are we spending and how much more do you think we should have stuffed under a mattress somewhere?

i think unless we get another kevin smith in this season we are looking like we are going to be in trouble this season. Think that Livi will probably end up being potential cannon fodder if they stay in the league and/prob loose most of their players but we will need to wait and see

I cant think of a team in this division that wont bring a decent support to games. I just fail to see why we are so light on proven players. And this nonsense with Marvin Andrews is pathetic. We should give him a time limit, say another 3 days, and if he doesnt sign by then, let him go.

Theres a proven spl goal scorer looking for part time football, yet we are told its probably a loan striker we will go for.

Hello division 2 in 2010/2011

Come on Numbers, you seriously think Lovell would come to Starks. I don't think so, i think i'm of the mind that McGlynn will make good use of the limited funds he has.

You're right about Marv though, a time limit is essential. We can't have anybody dangling an unreachable carrot in front of us.

I think you're underestimating our chances, no-one except Dundee has made any significant mindblowing signings.

Take our average home gate last season of 1600 multiply that by the increase of £2 and theres 8 times £3200 to start. Add to that the big increase in away support compared to last season, which was less than 250 on average excluding East Fife and theres a fair bit more in the pot.

I would like to think our home gate average this season will be around 2500. 900 times 18 times 16 makes around an extra £130k and take off extra costs, were still looking at about a net £70k.

Theres just too much being asked of our ex juniors, so we need 4 more players, not just 2. And i would add if we did, with those extra 4, play well then extra fans would come and increase the income.

AB excluding joe dunbar we have the grand total of 13 senior players as of today 12 if Marv doesnt resign, plus 7 juniors added to the first team squad. I dont think i am over concerned at all. Its a real worry if we wish to remain in Div.1.

Edited by Numbers

The last two summers we've been saying the same thing at this stage, that the squad is too small. But one thing McGlynn has never done is panic buy. If the right players are there then fine, if they're not he's not going to fill the squad for the sake of it. Last season the board backed him with cash during the season to bring in players as and when they becamse available - Wales, Simmons, Williamson, Andrews. If the gates do indeed look good I'm sure they'll do so again but let's keep clam here. As we've already noted time and again, we'd take relegation over administration, but in any case given that the automatic relegation spot looks like being taken off the radar by a club that failed to live within its means, it's an odd time to want to push the boat out.

Take our average home gate last season of 1600 multiply that by the increase of £2 and theres 8 times £3200 to start. Add to that the big increase in away support compared to last season, which was less than 250 on average excluding East Fife and theres a fair bit more in the pot.

I would like to think our home gate average this season will be around 2500. 900 times 18 times 16 makes around an extra £130k and take off extra costs, were still looking at about a net £70k.

Theres just too much being asked of our ex juniors, so we need 4 more players, not just 2. And i would add if we did, with those extra 4, play well then extra fans would come and increase the income.

AB excluding joe dunbar we have the grand total of 13 senior players as of today 12 if Marv doesnt resign, plus 7 juniors added to the first team squad. I dont think i am over concerned at all. Its a real worry if we wish to remain in Div.1.

Our average home gate last season was about 2,100 Chris (you gave yourself away by referring to ex youth players as juniors).

I do agree though that this announcement is less than encouraging. Wil be interesting to see who the loan player is. Would be really keen to get Gary Glenn in from Hearts if they are willing to let him go out on loan.

I cant think of a team in this division that wont bring a decent support to games.

For travels to Starks Park I can think of, ooh 6 or 7 for the coming season, with the exclusion of Dunfermline and Dundee (if challenging).

Away supports were dreadful across the board in the First Division last year, and that was only a minor drop from the year before. You might get a 'novelty value' from some travelling supports but I very much doubt it will last. Also, if you're doing particularly poorly (and if Tade is anywhere near a starting slot rest assured you will be), the home support will also slide away.

That is, at least, the Morton experience of promotion.

For travels to Starks Park I can think of, ooh 6 or 7 for the coming season, with the exclusion of Dunfermline and Dundee (if challenging).

Away supports were dreadful across the board in the First Division last year, and that was only a minor drop from the year before. You might get a 'novelty value' from some travelling supports but I very much doubt it will last. Also, if you're doing particularly poorly (and if Tade is anywhere near a starting slot rest assured you will be), the home support will also slide away.

That is, at least, the Morton experience of promotion.

Aye, you're probably right Vt.

It makes sense that the other two big teams in the league will bring the biggest amount of away fans.

Aye, you're probably right Vt.

It makes sense that the other two big teams in the league will bring the biggest amount of away fans.

My big team aspirations died the day we couldn't fill your away stand for the title match. The shame.

I am worried that Mglynn is putting too much emphasis on the use of Under 19s.

Bryce for one didnt look anywhere near good enough for the 2nd Division next season, Im just a bit concerend as to how Mcg is going to change that.