The New Raith Rovers Thread

Why did we not offer King Kevin a proper long contract?  The hard part is finding goal scorers, the decision to keep them should be easy. A previous board lost John Baird to QOS for the same reason. These two have been our only main strikers since Gordon Dalziel & they are why we go to football matches.

Just now, JAR said:

Why did we not offer King Kevin a proper long contract?  The hard part is finding goal scorers, the decision to keep them should be easy. A previous board lost John Baird to QOS for the same reason. These two have been our only main strikers since Gordon Dalziel & they are why we go to football matches.

If he hadn’t worked out as well you would be slating your club for giving out longer deals to duds.

Maybe you should write to the club and suggest this, it's probably never occurred to them.

Brian Graham scored a couple too.

1 minute ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Maybe a short career etc but once you decide to sign for rivals he should get pelters. Shows how far we've fallen that we're wishing them good luck now.

There’s pelters then there’s wishing they died. Slight difference. 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Whilst I’ve not read the article I’ve been told it’s in the FFP the fee we received for Murray was ‘modest’ and that we’ve only received half of it with the remaining not being paid until....next year.

Its fairly common that clubs pay these in stages

9 minutes ago, JAR said:

Most people didn’t even want us to sign Nisbet last summer. He was our back up when Loy turned us down. Could you imagine the uproar if we had given someone with 5 goals in 62 appearances a three year deal?

He had a great season last year and the board did the right thing offering him a deal when we did. If we had got promoted he’d still be with us. He was never going to agree to a 2/3 year deal with no clauses with us halfway through the season with the possibility of being stuck in League One.

I’d genuinely be interested to know what more you think we could have done?

Also, I actually think we’ve always done well with strikers in my time. Some of them have been loan signings admittedly but in the last 20 years we have had, off the top of my head: Dargo, Hartley and Agathe both played upfront IIRC, Novo, Sutton, Pereira, P. McManus, Goodwillie, Russell, Weir, Wales, K. Smith, Casalinuovo, Tade, Baird, Graham, Vaughan, Nisbet and Hardie. All of those have either been reliable goal scorers or good players for us which is pretty decent considering our limited success in that time period.

1 hour ago, JAR said:

I can imagine how that would have gone:

RRFC - "Kevin, we might be miles behind Arbroath and we all know it is impossible for us to win the play offs, but anyhow, fancy signing a new 3 year extension all the same?"

Nisbet - 

giphy.gif

Edited by Ro Sham Bo