The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not on to have a gloat or a dig, but i cant help but feel McGlynn is going to struggle to rebuild a team this summer. The core of the team you have now probably would yield a few squad players at championship level, and have shown they are not a title winning team at league 1 level. He is absolutely right that a clear out is required, but its required when there is still significant uncertainty over what league you will be in, and how much cash you can realistically spend. I think more than the previous manager he is inbetween a rock and a hard place.

If he goes after an Arbroath style playing team of no 'big' players but a strong overall unit, it looks as though 1 or potentially 2 of Alloa, Partick, Falkirk or QOTS might come down, and Peterhead will come up. The league next year will be arguably stronger than this year, surely not a year for experimenting with hybrid PT/FT squads?   

Not on to have a gloat or a dig, but i cant help but feel McGlynn is going to struggle to rebuild a team this summer. The core of the team you have now probably would yield a few squad players at championship level, and have shown they are not a title winning team at league 1 level. He is absolutely right that a clear out is required, but its required when there is still significant uncertainty over what league you will be in, and how much cash you can realistically spend. I think more than the previous manager he is inbetween a rock and a hard place.
If he goes after an Arbroath style playing team of no 'big' players but a strong overall unit, it looks as though 1 or potentially 2 of Alloa, Partick, Falkirk or QOTS might come down, and Peterhead will come up. The league next year will be arguably stronger than this year, surely not a year for experimenting with hybrid PT/FT squads?   

If we want to strengthen we have to at least try a hybrid. We realistically can’t afford decent full timers as wages will dictate the outcome. Signing good part timers is our only option. And your right the league will be stronger with Peterhead or Edinburgh City or both. I really don’t want to face Alloa or Falkirk or whatever. McGlynn has a lot of work to do

16 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

To be honest the East Fife fans have a lot to say just now about the Rovers , Why because your having a decent season ? unlike last when your all shouting for Young’s head. Football fans are fickle we could have a good season next year and your argument goes out the window. Bigger question is how you are surviving at this level especially last week with a crowd of 350 was it ? 

As for what league we will be in next year 100% it will be in the 1st which East Fife will love cash cow and all that .  Regarding the Hybrid model it worked previously as we got  promoted so why not next season . The only team I do see getting relegated is Alloa the rest would easily beat the remaining 3 teams in playoffs .

The only team I do see getting relegated is Alloa the rest would easily beat the remaining 3 teams in playoffs .

This^^^. Another point you made about East Fife surviving, ok they might not have the cash. But they play as a team. As in they have a TEAM, we are merely a SQUAD

I would be astonished if Raith took a punt on Tonks this summer. He's had a good season with us and the fans love him, but he hasn't scored THAT many to justify Raith paying us a fee for him. There's not enough evidence that he's an upgrade on Duggan. I'm not surprised by the rumours of McGlynn looking at a hybrid/Arbroath model because the worst full time players model isn't working.

Out of interest (and ignorance I suppose), why are Raith fans so opposed to going part-time for a season or two to get back up to the championship? Is there concern that it might start/continue a downward spiral? Or the possible complications of getting promoted and having to go full time again? Your crowds are double the next best in this league, you'd have the finances to get the best part time players for sure. 

We were in a downward spiral since Locke took over, a perpetual hangover that never recovers. And we’ve bumbled along ever since. Your absolutely right about the worst full time players model not working, they’ve struggled to compete for 90 minutes all season

Sorry Big Fifer, I forgot to quote you.

6 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

We were in a downward spiral since Locke took over, a perpetual hangover that never recovers. And we’ve bumbled along ever since. Your absolutely right about the worst full time players model not working, they’ve struggled to compete for 90 minutes all season

Sorry Big Fifer, I forgot to quote you.

No worries.

Obviously its been a downward spiral, but something has to change to get out of it for you. Definition of insanity and all that, but two years on the trot the FT model hasn't worked, although I realise it isn't exactly a large sample size. Previously I've seen and almost agreed with the argument that if a side like Falkirk or Thistle came down you won't win the league with part time players, but if it looks likely just Alloa will come down, I think part time might be a good shout. Perhaps a decision to be made in the summer (though unlikely you can go completely part time with the players you have signed on already). 

No worries.

Obviously its been a downward spiral, but something has to change to get out of it for you. Definition of insanity and all that, but two years on the trot the FT model hasn't worked, although I realise it isn't exactly a large sample size. Previously I've seen and almost agreed with the argument that if a side like Falkirk or Thistle came down you won't win the league with part time players, but if it looks likely just Alloa will come down, I think part time might be a good shout. Perhaps a decision to be made in the summer (though unlikely you can go completely part time with the players you have signed on already). 

Precisely, this is why a hybrid is essential as we have full timers still already signed. We struck it lucky with amazing part timers before. Now I’m not so sure. We had the best Part Time keeper in Scotland in Dave McGurn, he was better than Thomson and Lyness put together

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
2 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:
I’ve been really impressed with Dowds season and would be absolutely fine with him singing for us.

He signed a contract extension with East Fife until 2020 last summer though, so I’d imagine the rumour almost certainly isn’t true.

I hear he's a star on the karaoke.

We’ll teach him the words to Geordie Munro in no time. If he could bring back I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You that would be smashing.

Edited by Scary Bear

46 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

No worries.

Being FT isn't the problem, the problem is that FT can't make average or poor players good or cover mistakes. That's been our issue really. FT has worked every season for years for somebody, so it's the way to go if you do it properly. 

1 hour ago, basher brash said:

To be honest the East Fife fans have a lot to say just now about the Rovers , Why because your having a decent season ? unlike last when your all shouting for Young’s head. Football fans are fickle we could have a good season next year and your argument goes out the window. Bigger question is how you are surviving at this level especially last week with a crowd of 350 was it ? 

As for what league we will be in next year 100% it will be in the 1st which East Fife will love cash cow and all that .  Regarding the Hybrid model it worked previously as we got  promoted so why not next season . The only team I do see getting relegated is Alloa the rest would easily beat the remaining 3 teams in playoffs .

We are surviving because we have scaled the club to do so, we sign players for our budget, and have made concessions (plastic pitch, fully part time etc etc) As a result of that we have our bad seasons and our good seasons. You are right that this season comparatively we are having a good year, but the shouts for Young to go haven't subsided completely as some fans are never happy (i blame the sea air at new bayview) 

My point is this, there was a crazy time when we didnt scale the club properly (we have been through it twice with two questionable owners) where money and financial planning went out the window and we pushed for players on unsustainable budgets in search of promotions. We paid the price of that with the terrible seasons/relegations that followed as we recovered.

I dont know the financial position of Raith (does anyone?) but, that playing squad in year one in our league was very strong, and i would assume highly paid for the league. No promotion

Roll the dice in year 2 with a strong squad, no promotion.

If you guys stay down, then not only do you need to assemble a title winning squad, which with respect will require a clearout, but there is also the 2 years worth of unsustainable spend to account for, surely there must be budget pressures even for trying to sign the best PT players? The hybrid model may be the way forward, but its not as easy as 'just sign better part-time players'.

When you are signing decent full time players for the lower leagues, you are up against probably only championship teams. When you want to sign decent part-time players, you are up against 2 leagues worth of clubs (not all of them are necessarily skint), and championship teams who can offer them FT status.,. you need the work done early. Airdrie last year spent decent cash on proven PT players at our level, they arent even in a playoff place.

Im interested in whats happening at Raith, mainly from  a football point of view, because its is interesting!!  but you are also right  i like derbies (this year has been as entertaining on and off the pitch than any i can remember) 

We’ll teach him the words to Geordie Munro in no time. If he could bring back I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You that would be smashing.
It would certainly be better than the "Dingwall to Stranraer" number which drags its arse to a feeble chorus these days.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Precisely, this is why a hybrid is essential as we have full timers still already signed. We struck it lucky with amazing part timers before. Now I’m not so sure. We had the best Part Time keeper in Scotland in Dave McGurn, he was better than Thomson and Lyness put together

The hybrid model does not work, as we have found out on more than one occasion in the past at Bayview.

So go for it my Lino friends...

I’m not sure a complete rebuild is necessary nor will it be possible with the number of players we have signed up already. Those signed up would appear to be the higher earners so there isn’t going to be the cash available to add 7/8 players who are an improvement on what we have signed up currently.

Recruitment in the summer will obviously be crucial and we have got it badly wrong the last 3 summers. However, I think 3/4 good quality signings in key areas, defence being the main one, would be enough to see us challenging. 

I would caveat that by saying we would need a lot of luck with injuries to key players like most teams.

Anybody know at what point Vaughan will be available next season? A fully fit Lewis Vaughan in this league can cover a multitude of sins as we saw last season, we were verging on a one man team at times. His fitness will be key and if we have him fit for the full season it could make a massive difference. It can’t be underestimated the effect he has on the team and he has only completed the 90 minutes in the league 3 times this season. We won two of those 5-1.

I’m not sure a complete rebuild is necessary nor will it be possible with the number of players we have signed up already. Those signed up would appear to be the higher earners so there isn’t going to be the cash available to add 7/8 players who are an improvement on what we have signed up currently.
Recruitment in the summer will obviously be crucial and we have got it badly wrong the last 3 summers. However, I think 3/4 good quality signings in key areas, defence being the main one, would be enough to see us challenging. 
I would caveat that by saying we would need a lot of luck with injuries to key players like most teams.
Anybody know at what point Vaughan will be available next season? A fully fit Lewis Vaughan in this league can cover a multitude of sins as we saw last season, we were verging on a one man team at times. His fitness will be key and if we have him fit for the full season it could make a massive difference. It can’t be underestimated the effect he has on the team and he has only completed the 90 minutes in the league 3 times this season. We won two of those 5-1.

I’d imagine the majority of the players will have in their contracts, a promotion clause.

I’d be surprised if Flanagan is here next season.

Dingwall, Murray, Gillespie, Nisbet and Vaughan is an excellent spine to have to the team for next season.

Thomson and Lyness are probably as good as we’re going to get keeperwise for next season. McGlynn has to stick with a keeper though. None of this swapping keepers every week. Thomson is number one for me.

Bene is a difficult one. I’d probably offload him as well providing we can get a couple of CH’s of better quality.

Am I missing a player or 2 that are signed up?

4 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I would be astonished if Raith took a punt on Tonks this summer. He's had a good season with us and the fans love him, but he hasn't scored THAT many to justify Raith paying us a fee for him. There's not enough evidence that he's an upgrade on Duggan. I'm not surprised by the rumours of McGlynn looking at a hybrid/Arbroath model because the worst full time players model isn't working.

Out of interest (and ignorance I suppose), why are Raith fans so opposed to going part-time for a season or two to get back up to the championship? Is there concern that it might start/continue a downward spiral? Or the possible complications of getting promoted and having to go full time again? Your crowds are double the next best in this league, you'd have the finances to get the best part time players for sure. 

Generally speaking, once you go part time, the evidence suggests it's a hard rut to get out of. Clyde and Airdrie are examples where they've gone part time to adjust, and then never really shown any signs of bouncing back (albeit large chunks of that are down to mismanagement of both clubs).

Personally, I think we need to gut our squad and potentially look at a hybrid set up. The problem is that there's very few dependable players within our team. We've got some players who can be excellent on their day, but are utterly rotten at times. It won't help the club but this is the first season where I'd rather wait off any potential early bird ticket to see who we're actually going to bring in. At the moment, a season ticket is a big investment but the entertainment value is completely negligible.