The New Raith Rovers Thread

I've  already said we won't change it but to give Mcglynn another season is a farce.

We do need to give him a chance next season, then we can judge him as it’ll be his own team. Injuries to our most prolific squad players hasn’t helped one iota. I’ve been critical of this squad all season. I’ll let him deal with under performing “players” at seasons end. I really don’t think we’ll attract any decent players at this level. Bargain basement and very average players will be the target. It’s up to McGlynn to mould a squad into a team. This squad have no desire or any kind of consistency. I can’t wait till it’s over to be honest.

Think the point has been made that if we do keep mcglynn then defence needs to be a priority.

If he sorts that during the summer (not sure who is available to bring in) but that will give us a good base to work from. I am disappointed lennon didn’t want the job, he seems to be doing well at clyde.

No doubt we will be featured in the heads gone thread this week.

Just watched McGlynn interview and find his honesty a relief, if not exactly pleasing. A manager admitting on camera we're just not good enough and that it will take a summer of recruitment to fix it is quite something, and who knows how that will affect the players in these last 7 games? As I said before, he's culpable for not addressing defensive problems and extending powderpuff Flanagan, but as I also said, he can't make all the sub standard players good ones. There are too many of them. I think he deserves the summer to put a squad together, although that seems a tough gig given our current finance and status, and after that there's no excuses. Anyone got the contract details and know who we'll definitely be keeping in summer?

Just watched McGlynn interview and find his honesty a relief, if not exactly pleasing. A manager admitting on camera we're just not good enough and that it will take a summer of recruitment to fix it is quite something, and who knows how that will affect the players in these last 7 games? As I said before, he's culpable for not addressing defensive problems and extending powderpuff Flanagan, but as I also said, he can't make all the sub standard players good ones. There are too many of them. I think he deserves the summer to put a squad together, although that seems a tough gig given our current finance and status, and after that there's no excuses. Anyone got the contract details and know who we'll definitely be keeping in summer?

I really hope McGlynn gets the backing from the board or external investors so he can build a decent squad. League 1 again next season wont be so bad IF McGlynn gets that backing

7 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Agree with this. Think the public acknowledgement of not being good enough is just a last resort for some sort of reaction from the players. Week after week he has defended them to no avail.

I’ve seen a few people criticise JM for renewing Flanagan’s contract but I think that’s really harsh. Yes, I’d probably release him at the end of the season now if we could have. However, at the time of his extension he was one of our best players and it was thoroughly deserved. I certainly don’t recall many questioning it at the time.

I actually think extending Bene’s contract was the bigger mistake. We all know how good he can be but I can count on one hand the amount of time he’s been anywhere near that in the last year. 

10 hours ago, grumswall said:

Debate? Which is natural among people of differing opinions.  

Eta: I can't recall anyone calling you an arsehole etc for having an opinion in the past.

I called him an areshole. It was basically just me copying his ‘You arsehole!’ sign off to one of his more reasonable posts. It was meant to be a sort of light-hearted pop at him. He clearly didn’t take it that way. Sorry, Frank.

I’m not defending  Mcglynn as he must shoulder some of the blame as it’s his job to get results however the majority of the players he’s had to work with are simply not good enough he can only work with what’s available also the injury situation throughout the whole season has been horrendous. I’m pleased he knows we aren’t good enough and I believe he will get it sorted in the close season so we must stick with him we can’t just keeping on sacking managers constantly, Mcglynn knows now the frailties and weaknesses of the squad so we have to give him a chance. Barry Smith blew it big time last season with more resources and the board still showed faith in him this season and let him build an il balanced squad and he still walked , blame the board of directors / Barry Smith for our current predicament and to a larger extent the billy big time players who think they are Real Madrid of the league when frankly they clearer aren’t when you look at the league you can just imagine future Rovers hall oh famers or former player association fundraisers Lewis Vaughan would be the only one there

28 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Anyone got the contract details and know who we'll definitely be keeping in summer?

Thomson, Benedictus, Murray, Dingwall, Gillespie, Nisbet and Vaughan. Haven't a clue if any of the younger players will still be under contract.

Edited by Beachbum

Thomson, Benedictus, Murray, Dingwall, Gillespie, Nisbet and Vaughan. Haven't a clue if any of the younger palyers will still be under contract.
Not convinced about RT but maybe few better who'd be interested. Bene needs a good summer of recovery and rebuilding to get back to anything like his previous form, but I fear that's hope triumphing over expectation. The rest I'm pretty much ok with apart from Gillespie, who has lost his way and my confidence. Address the defence and leave him in mid and he can maybe consolidate. A suit of armour required for Vaughan too.

I agree that McGlynn is probably looking for a reaction as a last result from the players, and is probably trying to avoid going full on yogi on them. 

Hopefully that explains some of his more insipid interviews.  

Thomson, Benedictus, Murray, Dingwall, Gillespie, Nisbet and Vaughan. Haven't a clue if any of the younger players will still be under contract.
I thought Gillespie has a specific clause in his contract, it may be that if we don't get promoted he could leave. If its the chance a higher league club takes him on, he is with us for foreseeable.

I think the board here have got away with a lot of criticism as well. They all decided to keep Barry Smith on when it was so blindingly obvious he had to go. The argument of "we couldn't afford to sack him" is lost since we ended up paying him after he left to avoid constructive dismissal and had we sacked hook guaranteed we'd have made the money back in season ticket sales we lost.

The decisions last summer by the board emphasis my belief that there is nobody on the board who has any experience in running a business (the new appointment aside who I have my severe reservations about). The fundraising night last month where Sim appeared was amateurish at best and all Sim wanted to talk about was his beloved pitch and the stadium. No mention of the team. I genuinely believe that him and the board would be happy with league one mediocrity so long as the club makes money from the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I genuinely believe that him and the board would be happy with league one mediocrity so long as the club makes money from the pitch.

If they're only interested in making money don't you think they'd want to be in the Championship with bigger away crowds and a higher profile? 

I think the board here have got away with a lot of criticism as well. They all decided to keep Barry Smith on when it was so blindingly obvious he had to go. The argument of "we couldn't afford to sack him" is lost since we ended up paying him after he left to avoid constructive dismissal and had we sacked hook guaranteed we'd have made the money back in season ticket sales we lost.

The decisions last summer by the board emphasis my belief that there is nobody on the board who has any experience in running a business (the new appointment aside who I have my severe reservations about). The fundraising night last month where Sim appeared was amateurish at best and all Sim wanted to talk about was his beloved pitch and the stadium. No mention of the team. I genuinely believe that him and the board would be happy with league one mediocrity so long as the club makes money from the pitch.
That's not strictly true DDD. Ali More is an experienced business accountant and knows what it takes to manage through difficult times. I don't know much about the rest but the board needs a balance of football and business experience. Maybe the balance isn't right.

No, I'm not Ali More. Or his wife. Or related. Or a pal.

I’m going to go out in a limb here and suggest we’d bring in more money from being a successful Championship club, than from sporadically hiring out the pitch.

Aye, but it’s getting there that’s the problem