The New Raith Rovers Thread

How’s Daniel Armstrong been performing for you lot? Seems to be getting him on the scoresheet quite a lot. He’s a local boy and I said when he was released from Wolves that we should look at him. 
Am I right in thinking he’s only signed up till January? Think he’ll stay till the end of the season? 

I don't see him extending his deal and I'll be absolutely gutted about it. He's been class since we got him in but I don't think this is his level. He should get championship football no problem, although I, and most, would love him to hang around till the end of the season.

I also think Mcglynn should have made the position a priority rather than bringing a left back in. 
I think Smith was hoping that Watson was up to the standard we need, and he isn't quite there yet. 

I can sort of see what McGlynn has been thinking with Crane signing. He’s probably thought that signing him and moving Murray to right back was a better option than getting in a right back of lesser quality. As it’s turned out it’s not been great because unfortunately Murray has struggled a bit this year and hasn’t kicked on from his strong performances last season, plus Crane has been injured for a month.

A proper right back in and I think the defence will have a lot more balance to it. Also wouldn’t be averse to getting Wright back in the sticks.

I also think Mcglynn should have made the position a priority rather than bringing a left back in. 
I think Smith was hoping that Watson was up to the standard we need, and he isn't quite there yet. 

I can see McGlynn’s logic, we had a right footed player playing left back, the transition should’ve been straight forward, and Crane was of a higher standard of quality available than any RB’s. As mentioned though, Murray has had a shocker this season compared to last. Fully agree a RB is must in the window, presumably Silva (keeper) will be offskie to free up a loan. And fingers crossed we tie down Hendry & Armstrong till the end of the season, and I’ll be happy as long as Arbroath start dropping points... c’mon every other team!

I was of the view McGlynn had made a mistake in signing a left back when Murray was solid there last season and we didn't know how he'd be at right back which was the glaring missing link in the squad. Although I understood the logic of him being right footed allowing a fairly easy transition.

However, Murray has been poor at left back since he went back there and if we didn't have Crane I'd be saying we need a right back and left back.

Edited by R.R.FC

Wonder how close Crane is to a return, might he get 20 mins tomorrow at Kelty?

Listening to the Dumbarton pre-match interview I came away with the idea that Both Crane and Hendry will be returning until May but one of the keepers won't be and the 4th loan spot will be filled by an outfield player. 

Hopefully the outfield player will be a right back, maybe McGlynn can tap into his Celtic or Hearts connection and unearth someone that can do a job for us.

Another thing that was mentioned was the option of signing free agents, wasn't there an experienced right back released in the summer that we were linked with?

4 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Another thing that was mentioned was the option of signing free agents, wasn't there an experienced right back released in the summer that we were linked with?

Gary Irvine was a name doing the rounds. 

52 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Will McGlynn play Crane at LB when he comes back in?

Cranes last game before injury, he played at CM and he also scored in that game

Wasn't that born more out necessity due to Wedderburn being suspended and there being literally nobody else who could play CM?

I know Crane isn't everyones cup of tea but I think he's the best LB option we have at present, better to play him there IMO and either slide Murray across or bring in a real fightback and allow Gillespie back into the middle of the park where his bite can hopefully break things up early.

4 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I know Crane isn't everyones cup of tea but I think he's the best LB option we have at present, better to play him there IMO and either slide Murray across or bring in a real fightback and allow Gillespie back into the middle of the park where his bite can hopefully break things up early.

Brings me back to my post further up about it being interesting what McGlynn does. If he decides to move Murray along to RB then he's either going to have to drop Gillespie or drop someone in midfield, my guess being Matthews (can't see him dropping Wedderburn for some reason), to allow Gillespie to start. If he signs a new RB then you still have an issue of getting Gillespie into the squad as well as Murray. For once McGlynn might have a bit of a selection headache. 

Perhaps having a stronger bench will be the way forward, a few on here have speculated that 2 wingers away from home (in this league) is a luxury we can ill afford. perhaps a solid midfield 3 of Gillespie and Matthews in front of big Nat with either Armstrong or Flanagan out wide could stop us losing games away and still have enough creativity to get results.  Having some real (more experienced) options from the bench both up top, in midfield and defence (eg, Duggan and Buchanan , Matthews/Wedderburn & Murray) would give us a dimension we haven't had all season.

3 hours ago, tigger said:

Not gonna happen. Going to Falkirk I heard

Figured that might happen to be fair. He's looked a class above. Hopefully McGlynn is already looking at a replacement and we get two good performances from him before he goes. Having said that they just got found in breach of rules when employing McKinnon - will that come with a points deduction? Might put a different complexion on things.

Edited by renton