The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't think Sims wants rovers to go up just yet just got that feeling ' he's only interested in doing the stadium up .

Yes, you’re almost certainly correct, a man who’s single handedly funding our large financial losses is definitely hoping we don’t get promoted.

After all, why on earth would he want larger travelling supports or the bigger financial prizes involved in going up?

The ‘how are we not walking this league because we are full time’ viewpoint is becoming tiring and embarrassing! Surely folk realise that there’s better part time players out there than full time ones?  Bobby Linn being an example. These guys will earn more in their days jobs than we can offer. Just because they are part time, doesn’t make them  less talented.

Even the fitness thing... gone are the days of full time teams being fitter. These part time boys will probably be working on their fitness every day as well.

12 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

The ‘how are we not walking this league because we are full time’ viewpoint is becoming tiring and embarrassing! Surely folk realise that there’s better part time players out there than full time ones?  Bobby Linn being an example. These guys will earn more in their days jobs than we can offer. Just because they are part time, doesn’t make them  less talented.

Even the fitness thing... gone are the days of full time teams being fitter. These part time boys will probably be working on their fitness every day as well.

I think the point is more the one you have just made. What benefit are we seeing from full time football then?

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I think the point is more the one you have just made. What benefit are we seeing from full time football then?

I don’t understand why we can’t have a hybrid model with a few part time players in the squad. Mcglynn had that in his first spell with folk like Campbell, Hill and Mcgurn. Being solely full time is certainly hindering us at this level.

I've personally not seen much in the way of a huge gulf in terms of fitness when playing part time teams BUT over the course of a season I think we should be seeing some benefits of being full time. 

To put it into context:

2017/2018 - Champions -  Ayr (full time)

2016/2017 - Champions -  Livi (full time)

2015/2016 - Champions -  Dunfermline (full time)

2014/2015 - Champions -  Morton (full time)

2013/2014 - Champions -  Rangers (full time)

2012/2013 - Champions -  QOS (full time)

2011/2012 - Champions -  Cowdenbeath (no other full time teams in the league for that season)

2010/2011 - Champions - Livi (not sure if they were full time or not during that season)

2009/2010 - Champions - Stirling Albion (assuming they were part time and no full time team in the league for that season)

2008/2009 - Champions - Rovers (predominately full time)  

3 hours ago, Kdawg said:

I don’t understand why we can’t have a hybrid model with a few part time players in the squad. Mcglynn had that in his first spell with folk like Campbell, Hill and Mcgurn. Being solely full time is certainly hindering us at this level.

I don't want a hybrid model. I don't want part time either. Just because we're shit at the moment doesn't mean we should ditch our full time status. Long term, our aim will always be the Championship and full time teams do better there.