The New Raith Rovers Thread

50 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

One notable thing from the warm up yesterday was with McGlynn sitting with our back four and playing high balls and one twos with them. It's good to see after some of the shambolic defending under Smith that it's something we're working on.

Didnt work for their goal yesterday,poor defending

One notable thing from the warm up yesterday was with McGlynn sitting with our back four and playing high balls and one twos with them. It's good to see after some of the shambolic defending under Smith that it's something we're working on.
In fairness I remember seing Smith do similar before one game last season.

13 hours ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

poor crowd yesterday.cant remember it being so low for a league game for a while.

In comparison to who? The next highest attendance in League One was 700, at Dumbarton, almost half of the crowd size at Kirkcaldy 

The current 4th best team in the country (Livingston) only managed a crowd of 2,137.

42 minutes ago, Stelios said:

In comparison to who? The next highest attendance in League One was 700, at Dumbarton, almost half of the crowd size at Kirkcaldy 

The current 4th best team in the country (Livingston) only managed a crowd of 2,137.

That is not the point. It's got nothing to do with who's got the highest attendances in League One.

Kirkcaldybanjo111 would not for one minute be thinking of the attendances at other clubs, more likely he was very concerned with the state of our own finances.

46 minutes ago, Stelios said:

I’d say in comparison to ourselves. We had 2187 against Arbroath. I realise there was a few hundred Arbroath fans and it was a bigger game but 600 is still a big drop.

Can’t see our crowd for the Montrose game but it’s still 162 down on our previous home game against Forfar. Not a substantial drop but I had hoped the return of McGlynn may have seen an increase in crowds.

In saying all that I think the October holidays are the biggest factor in any crowd drop so we shouldn’t read too much into it. 

13 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’d say in comparison to ourselves. We had 2187 against Arbroath. I realise there was a few hundred Arbroath fans and it was a bigger game but 600 is still a big drop.

Can’t see our crowd for the Montrose game but it’s still 162 down on our previous home game against Forfar. Not a substantial drop but I had hoped the return of McGlynn may have seen an increase in crowds.

In saying all that I think the October holidays are the biggest factor in any crowd drop so we shouldn’t read too much into it. 

The point is that much as it is a concern for us, the situation is not unique to us and therefore not necessarily down to us. 

Livi struggling to break the 2,000 mark in the top flight suggests a general lack of interest or as someone else mentioned, school holidays may have played a significant part in where people spent their time & money this weekend.  

The biggest problem we face at this level is the sky sports culture. I was at the arbroath game with a mate who rarely goes and he was bored shitless because he's more used to watching games on sky sports etc. It is an entertainment business and unless you're a hardcore fan it is easy to not find the entertainment in games at our level.

Yep even allowing for the additional attention on the Arbroath game, a drop of 600 home fans is quite alarming. It's unlikely to get much better with winter just round the corner.

We played QoS at Starks on October 29th 2016, the week after we had pumped Falkirk 4-2 away from home. The crowd was 1244.

1200-1500 is our usual for run of the mill league games. I think we just got a wee gain for McGlynn’s first game back. The fact our crowds have held up in the Seaside league is testament to us being super fans. We should all get medals.

7 minutes ago, Stelios said:

The point is that much as it is a concern for us, the situation is not unique to us and therefore not necessarily down to us. 

Livi struggling to break the 2,000 mark in the top flight suggests a general lack of interest or as someone else mentioned, school holidays may have played a significant part in where people spent their time & money this weekend.  

That would be me, in the exact post you quoted! ;)

I think everyone’s aware of the struggles to get fans through the door and Livi’s poor crowds are widely acknowledged. I think the reason it was raised though was because it was a clear reduction on our own crowds this season.

Hopefully it was just the October holidays and they’re back to their usual levels against Brechin.

31 minutes ago, grumswall said:

The biggest problem we face at this level is the sky sports culture. I was at the arbroath game with a mate who rarely goes and he was bored shitless because he's more used to watching games on sky sports etc. It is an entertainment business and unless you're a hardcore fan it is easy to not find the entertainment in games at our level.

The games on sky are sometimes boring drivel. I’m the opposite, I can rarely sit and watch a full match on the tele. But when it’s the Rovers I’m  watching it religiously, but usually shouting expletives at referees at the same time. That keeps me going. 

The games on sky are sometimes boring drivel. I’m the opposite, I can rarely sit and watch a full match on the tele. But when it’s the Rovers I’m  watching it religiously, but usually shouting expletives at referees at the same time. That keeps me going. 
I'm the same as you wardy. I very rarely watch a game on sky. Would rather be at starks or take in a jr/ammy game.