The New Raith Rovers Thread

Wedderburn was signed when he was fit and playing -  Flanagan likewise played in the first game v Partick and Milne was training prior to him getting injured as well.

So none were signed injured.
Were you at the Dunfermline game? There is NO way Wedderburn is or was fit. He was blowing out his arse after about 20 mins. Went off 30s into the Dundee Utd game, pulling up. Definitely not fit.

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Wedderburn was signed when he was fit and playing -  Flanagan likewise played in the first game v Partick and Milne was training prior to him getting injured as well.

Being injured when they signed and being fit when they signed are, I think, two separate issues. The fact that all three broke down after some low tempo friendlies, or not even into game time suggests there were underlying issues at work. 

This season is starting to feel like a fucking write off before it's begun.

We seriously cannot go into the new season with this team. 5 outfield players out. This is what happens when bean counters are in charge. Every ha’penny has to be accounted for. What happened to the people that helped McKinnon. Have they been so disappointed with the way the club is being run. Is this new BoD that unapproachable that deals can’t be done. We’ll just have to buckle up this season as it’s gonna hurt.

We seriously cannot go into the new season with this team. 5 outfield players out. This is what happens when bean counters are in charge. Every ha’penny has to be accounted for. What happened to the people that helped McKinnon. Have they been so disappointed with the way the club is being run. Is this new BoD that unapproachable that deals can’t be done. We’ll just have to buckle up this season as it’s gonna hurt.

Those same people helped out the following season by finding players wages. Those players were Jordan Thompson and Rudi Skacel and I’m sure Ryan Stevenson was funded externally as well.

Can you blame them for not coming back?

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Those same people helped out the following season by finding players wages. Those players were Jordan Thompson and Rudi Skacel and I’m sure Ryan Stevenson was funded externally as well.

Can you blame them for not coming back?

I thought McManus as well. Wasn't a great return on their investment.

The Rudi Skackel signing was an almighty finger burning if the speculation as to what he was on is anything to go by. 

Bursting the spleens of a few apocalyptic Hibs fans on Christmas Eve was his sole contribution. 

Edited by Michael W

47 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Were you at the Dunfermline game? There is NO way Wedderburn is or was fit. He was blowing out his arse after about 20 mins. Went off 30s into the Dundee Utd game, pulling up. Definitely not fit.

Yeah I was, and he played 60ish minutes did he not? My point is folk are moaning we are singing INJURED players. We aren't. Its preseason - players will always be a couple of yards off the pace. Pre season is what builds players fitness.

36 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I think what you mean is this is what happens when we have to operate within our means. The club can only spend money it brings in, which will all have been impacted by increasing debt and relegation leading to falling crowds, falling sponsorship, and falling prize money.

They are operating a budget with the funds we have. Look at the squads McKinnon and Locke ran - maybe that was the problem in the past - too much money wasted on big squads and is now taking its toll because of the amount of debt we have racked up over the years.

I get the feeling some fans stil think we are a mid table Championship side, and want us to shell out money we don't have nor have no chance of bringing in. Reality check required for some folk.

I think what you mean is this is what happens when we have to operate within our means. The club can only spend money it brings in, which will all have been impacted by increasing debt and relegation leading to falling crowds, falling sponsorship, and falling prize money.
They are operating a budget with the funds we have. Look at the squads McKinnon and Locke ran - maybe that was the problem in the past - too much money wasted on big squads and is now taking its toll because of the amount of debt we have racked up over the years.
I get the feeling some fans stil think we are a mid table Championship side, and want us to shell out money we don't have nor have no chance of bringing in. Reality check required for some folk.

The stature of this club is mid table championship. Whether you agree or not. It’s true. We have a board so out of touch with the community. They don’t seem to want to reach out. The dwindling fans is down to successive boards recruiting god awful management especially in the last few years. To have McGlynn back in the fold would be bliss

Being injured when they signed and being fit when they signed are, I think, two separate issues. The fact that all three broke down after some low tempo friendlies, or not even into game time suggests there were underlying issues at work. 
This season is starting to feel like a fucking write off before it's begun.
Last season's injuries was a joke , this season's injuries are gone be worse I think .

Last season's injuries was a joke , this season's injuries are gone be worse I think .

It’s amateurish if you ask me. We could have had a hybrid system like we did under McGlynn. But no we stayed full time and signed the bargain basement full timers. It’s going to be a long hard season. The biggest waste of money is the plastic pitch

Very hard to say that losing five players to injury at his stage of the season is "bad luck".  I'd be looking at the training that was in place because this is not acceptable - half a team out already with one competitive match played. What has Smith being doing pre-season? Doesn't seem like good preparation whatever it was.  

Regarding budgeting, Gary Locke was held in high regard by the board for understanding the budget constraints. Quite why he was allowed to sign as many players as he did remains a mystery, as it seems a bit off message. 

33 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Very hard to say that losing five players to injury at his stage of the season is "bad luck".  I'd be looking at the training that was in place because this is not acceptable - half a team out already with one competitive match played. What has Smith being doing pre-season? Doesn't seem like good preparation whatever it was.  

Regarding budgeting, Gary Locke was held in high regard by the board for understanding the budget constraints. Quite why he was allowed to sign as many players as he did remains a mystery, as it seems a bit off message. 

His blinkered approach to signing ex-Hearts players (see Kilmarnock as well) and old pals was one of his biggest flaws.

2BE328F6-B64B-44CC-A5CB-8A88DDE3BA49-4630-000003C9F98D99F1.jpg

"Hello and welcome along to the RRFC AGM. I'm Bill Clark and as Chairman, I'll be getting the proceedings started. Did everyone bring their own candle?"

The lights dim and candles are lit...

"Turnbull, if you're out there, give us a sign. Anything, just a sign to let us know what to do."

Silence...

"Ah well, looks like we just carry on doing what we're doing guys. Thanks for coming along, see you all next year."

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

The stature of this club is mid table championship. Whether you agree or not. It’s true. We have a board so out of touch with the community. They don’t seem to want to reach out. The dwindling fans is down to successive boards recruiting god awful management especially in the last few years. To have McGlynn back in the fold would be bliss

What makes us mid table championship? Certainly not the way we've played last few seasons.

We have a new board, trying to change things, trying to reach out, trying new ideas - I trust you'll be going along to the volunteer night to offer your services, and your ideas?

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

It’s amateurish if you ask me. We could have had a hybrid system like we did under McGlynn. But no we stayed full time and signed the bargain basement full timers. It’s going to be a long hard season. The biggest waste of money is the plastic pitch

Club aren't paying for a plastic pitch - stadium owners are.