The New Raith Rovers Thread

To be fair they were always our main rivals probably up to the 80s or 90s. Remember feeling excited/anxious about playing them during the wullie gray era.  I’m sure we were actually considered  underdogs that season against them, certainly at the start of the season anyway.  They managed to bring a very decent support too, it’s a pity that has dwindled but so has our numbers. 

Are we the only club that do concessions at the ticket office? The queue looked massive today.

Can't think of too many that don't just charge at the gate, QOS are the only one that spring to mind.

Good to see so many, even better that we gave them a game to watch.

1 hour ago, Ancient Mariner said:

tough tough games this afternoon and I will take the draw

a thousand more Rovers fan turned up today, well done don't think you were let down

hopefully you will be back, you won't witness a team cheating and deceiving the ref every Saturday - there's only one McColl 

Is it a Fife thing that makes you unable to spell McCall?

Edited by ayrunitedfw

2 hours ago, mr mince said:

Are we the only club that do concessions at the ticket office? The queue looked massive today.

Can't think of too many that don't just charge at the gate, QOS are the only one that spring to mind.

Good to see so many, even better that we gave them a game to watch.

I think we're the only one that do it purely for concessions, there are a few who have the system in place for all (Hibs, QOS, St Mirren, Peterhead, apparently ICT now as well).

10 minutes ago, liam_barnett said:

I think we're the only one that do it purely for concessions, there are a few who have the system in place for all (Hibs, QOS, St Mirren, Peterhead, apparently ICT now as well).

Forgot about hibs and st mirren doing it for everybody, didn't know about the others.

Queuing to join another queue for something that's unlikely to sell out confuses me.

15 hours ago, mr mince said:

Queuing to join another queue for something that's unlikely to sell out confuses me.

It's the only way the club can control the abuse of the system by Rovers' fans. It's been costing us money for years.

Edited by Beachbum

16 hours ago, CALDERON said:

East Fife are absolutely obsessed with Raith Rovers.

I'm not sure why, I'm 30 this year and the rivalry hasn't really been there in my time supporting the Rovers. I can remember us being in the same league twice, and we almost always beat them. I understand that there is some kind of historical rivalry there, but there's no way it's the real Fife Derby. We would never see a 12k crowd at that game if capacities allowed, like we had a few years back.

That said, it's quite fun. The absolute dejection from the 50 cigs a day announcer lady as she has to announce each Rovers goal (Eight this season) is always a joy to behold.  As was the Co commentator on the highlights, absolutely raging.

East Fife fans will never ever experience the success we had in the 90s (either will we again :lol:) and they absolutely hate it. 

Good post. Don't really care too much about East Fife. When they eventually beat us, the derby against them will be relegated to the level of those against Cowdenbeath. A match which pops up, but you're thinking it's not the same as a proper derby. Our unbeaten run is the only thing which keeps it interesting. 

But that video is fucking glorious. Willie Gray was full of bravado back then about beating the Rovers. They nicked Paul McManus from us at the start of that season too when he signed a contract and, as Rovers do, we fucked up the registration. He got offered a tonne at East Fife and went along the road.  He was chatting about giving us a doing. Then we went the whole season and beat them three times, and didn't win the first game on the basis that we were shite at penalties and their goal came from a deflection back off Kevin Fotheringham's thigh (which tbf, was a fucking mammoth surface area).  We went on to win the league which made it even sweeter.

There were utter scenes in the New Year game where McGurn punched a ball to nutmeg Bobby Linn before Mark Ferry decided to pull out a header from nowhere to get us the win. Pretty sure he stormed out the directors box in a huff. 

6 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Good post. Don't really care too much about East Fife. When they eventually beat us, the derby against them will be relegated to the level of those against Cowdenbeath. A match which pops up, but you're thinking it's not the same as a proper derby. Our unbeaten run is the only thing which keeps it interesting. 

But that video is fucking glorious. Willie Gray was full of bravado back then about beating the Rovers. They nicked Paul McManus from us at the start of that season too when he signed a contract and, as Rovers do, we fucked up the registration. He got offered a tonne at East Fife and went along the road.  He was chatting about giving us a doing. Then we went the whole season and beat them three times, and didn't win the first game on the basis that we were shite at penalties and their goal came from a deflection back off Kevin Fotheringham's thigh (which tbf, was a fucking mammoth surface area).  We went on to win the league which made it even sweeter.

There were utter scenes in the New Year game where McGurn punched a ball to nutmeg Bobby Linn before Mark Ferry decided to pull out a header from nowhere to get us the win. Pretty sure he stormed out the directors box in a huff. 

This guy is the atypical rags to riches(sic) fool who makes a bob or two and thought he could fit in at any level.

Ballingry Rovers is where any club could be in the hands of your ordinary imbecille .

2 hours ago, mr mince said:

Forgot about hibs and st mirren doing it for everybody, didn't know about the others.

Morton too due to our white elephant electronic turnstiles we installed this summer (that still barely work). Horrible idea having double queues.

Anyway, Conor Brennan, discuss?

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Morton too due to our white elephant electronic turnstiles we installed this summer (that still barely work). Horrible idea having double queues.

Anyway, Conor Brennan, discuss?

Run away, seriously what were you thinking.  His positioning is more terrifying than Smith's reluctance to come off his line and his kicking is pish too.

Just now, mr mince said:

Run away, seriously what were you thinking.  His positioning is more terrifying than Smith's reluctance to come off his line and his kicking is pish too.

Sounds promising. He is unlikely to play due to Duffy's inability to drop Gaston, even when he had been chucking them in. Our development squad keeper is injured, we've sent our sub keeper back to Celtic (was on loan but didn't play again) and it seems Brennan will be getting shipped back over from Ireland.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Sounds promising. He is unlikely to play due to Duffy's inability to drop Gaston, even when he had been chucking them in. Our development squad keeper is injured, we've sent our sub keeper back to Celtic (was on loan but didn't play again) and it seems Brennan will be getting shipped back over from Ireland.

Forgot about Gaston. Even so Brennan is worse than the worst I remember him playing.
Have a word with Ryan Stevenson by all accounts he wasn't any more of a disaster in his last game for us :lol:

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Brennan is a complete bed wetter. In the ‘Andy McNeil’ category of goalkeepers. Probably has the attributes but the confidence of a shy schoolgirl.

Most Morton fans would be happy with an Andy McNeil comparison - he did us a turn in the short stint he had with us.