The New Raith Rovers Thread

The Zanatta deal was completely separate to the Callachan deal. I'm sure the club clarified that as folk were going tits mental at the fact we thought we were getting a cut-price deal and a swap like we did with Bates. The deal was until the end of the season though, definitely wasn't announced as only until January.

I'm not too surprised about this. Hearts just lost Jamie Walker, Zanatta has been in form for the last month. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't have the foresight or couldn't negotiate a no-recall clause in the loan deal, but then that's football.

While it's left us very short, it frees up a wage. If that meant getting Furtado in as a winger, then I'd be comfortable enough with it. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Was this not part of the deal that took Callachan to Hearts? If so how the f**k can they recall him? That is a real kick in the stones, he was really coming on to a game. We need a wide player in now, Bobby Barr is still out so that leaves us with the square total of zero wingers.

I assume we'll be sticking Vaughan out there on Saturday, now.

Are we really surprised that our board got yet another transfer deal wrong? Absolute lunacy to sell our captain and main midfielder, secure a loan deal to compensate yet allow a recall option. 

It sounds like some will be loaned back this month but what's for certain is we're in trouble for Saturday now with him away and Barr injured. We basically have zero wide players now. Zanatta wasn't great but was coming onto a game and provided the wide out ball that we had been seriously lacking in the few months beforehand. 

Edited by Ding Dang Doo

That’s a blow especially as it’s just for a training camp not an actual game. 

Not wanting to cover old ground, but if only we’d have been as ruthless as Hearts last season in recalling  Vaughan from Dumbarton when it started to all go wrong 

Edited by roverthemoon

That is genuinely classless from Levein. Could have at least waited until after the biggest game of the season and flew him out on saturday night/sunday morning. Its not as if he has just pinched our captain mid season and is due as a wee bit of a favour? The man is a total c**t.

Huge blow for us. He has been excellent the last few weeks and it seemed like that kind of form was his 'true' self and we would be seeing a lot more of it. He was our only winger and allowed us to play Mathews in a lop-side midfield becasue Dario was so pacey, direct and dynamic. Fucking irate. Need someone else in ASAFUCKINGP

Where is this excellent form come from? He’s been absolutely rank and I have no idea how he got motm or team of the week.

He was shocking in the east fife game, can’t take it to the touch line, can’t win a header, isn’t blessed with lightning pace. The only thing I like is when he cuts in on his right but this is something he hadn’t done enough in my opinion. Yes he may have scored more than Barr but Barr’s assist record this season was great.

I’d like to see the funds used better elsewhere, hopefully with someone who provides more and better quality opportunities for the forwards.

Seems like a snap decision from Hearts. Their training camp will have been arranged weeks, probably months, in advance - if it was so vital to assess Zanatta (plus the other 2 players out on loan) during this time, should this not have been organised ages ago? The club could've been notified when Zanatta joined, or a couple of weeks ago at the latest. Surely that would just be a courtesy?  More warning would have allowed Smith to plan further ahead, rather than having to re-jig his team / tactics (or potentially scramble around for a replacement signing) just a few days ahead of such a huge game.

It's disappointing to lose a player, in this manner, in the run up to a vital game - especially as he's not been recalled due to an injury / suspension crisis at his parent club but merely a training camp. Obviously it's their right to do so as Zanatta's parent club, but still bloody annoying.

Cannot believe the sheer cuntishness (that’s now a word by the way!) from Levein, absolutely brutal timing!! He’s been recalled because he’s wanting a look at him. Could Hearts not have sent a scout and or former players (that word used lightly); Daly and/or Fox, to have a look at him, rather than at a Spanish training camp. Irate with this!!
As people have said, he was coming on to a good bit form. And although sometimes his touch was stinking, his head never dropped and kept looking for it, and tried to go direct as possible.
FWIW, he was recalled because it was on a development loan, and the club did try and delay it but Hearts rejected it.
With the filming of the Ayr advert last night, I suspect this was a huge shock to the club this morning. Hopefully Bazza has someone lined up for the weekend.

How far is Barr away from return? If no one is in, it’ll be Vaughan out wide, with Herron back in centre midfield next to Robbo and Matthews out on the right.

A month or so ago and this would've been water off a duck's back to me, but the guy has found some confidence and form recently. While he still wastes the odd final ball and often shirks out of 50/50 challenges, we were still getting a lot more from him in recent weeks than we had been getting from Barr since the first month of the season.

Poor from Levein regarding the timing, and while we might even end up with him back once he returns it doesn't detract from the fact we are now without our only fit wide player at an absolutely critical point in the season.

At the end of the day, he is Hearts player – and they now need cover out wide. 

Timing is unfortunate but that’s the risk with loan players.  Only wish we had done similar with Vaughan last season.  Also pretty certain we did the same with David Bates when he was out on loan (maybe Brechin?) and we desperately needed cover at Right Back (for the cup tie at Elgin I think)

As much as anything else, we don’t have the numbers to do without Zanatta for too long. Saturday was the first time we’ve had an actual first team player on the bench for weeks, assuming you don’t count an injured Bobby Barr.

Herron in and Vaughan out wide on Saturday, presumably. Given Hendry wasn’t trusted to come off the bench in our last two I can’t see his suddenly starting in such a big game.

2 hours ago, rw89 said:

The Zanatta deal was completely separate to the Callachan deal. I'm sure the club clarified that as folk were going tits mental at the fact we thought we were getting a cut-price deal and a swap like we did with Bates. The deal was until the end of the season though, definitely wasn't announced as only until January.

I'm not too surprised about this. Hearts just lost Jamie Walker, Zanatta has been in form for the last month. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't have the foresight or couldn't negotiate a no-recall clause in the loan deal, but then that's football.

While it's left us very short, it frees up a wage. If that meant getting Furtado in as a winger, then I'd be comfortable enough with it. 

Difficult to believe anything that comes from our board

33 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

lso in todays Sun that Airdrie are under new ownership.

Furtado may be offered a deal to stay there.

According to their thread, they've offered him a deal but he has multiple issues with staying there. Airdrie will try to iron them out, but one of their fans saying they're tried their best. 

32 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Aye but surely we could match the wages and he would prefer to come play for us and have a chance of winning a league and then championship football? 

From our perspective, we really need to sell this angle. He has a chance to come to a club who are going for the title, and could potentially move onto Championship football next season if all goes well.