The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nothing at all. RATM has already quoted the rules. It's not allowed whether both parties and the player wanted it to happen or not. You can't over-ride the League rules with a contract term.

Its a pretty shit rule to be honest. A club should be fielding their strongest side every match they play in. I mean if Europe's premier Club competition doesn't have a problem with it why should we really. 

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Its a pretty shit rule to be honest. A club should be fielding their strongest side every match they play in. I mean if Europe's premier Club competition doesn't have a problem with it why should we really. 

I disagree. The reason Europe's Premier Club competition doesn't have a problem with it is because technically International "loans" are temporary releases and re-registration in a different country. They aren't legally "on loan".

Personally I think it's correct that all doubt is removed from the question and loan players aren't allowed to play against parent clubs. I think that should be the case in Europe also notwithstanding what I said above. If teams are content to use loan players rather than their own then they have to accept they'll be weakened if they play against the team they borrow players from. It's not like it's an old rule nobody ever voted out of existence. It's been a rule for about 2 years now directly as a result of previous issues with it and the clubs obviously decided it was wrong to potentially allow it.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I disagree. The reason Europe's Premier Club competition doesn't have a problem with it is because technically International "loans" are temporary releases and re-registration in a different country. They aren't legally "on loan".

Personally I think it's correct that all doubt is removed from the question and loan players aren't allowed to play against parent clubs. I think that should be the case in Europe also notwithstanding what I said above. If teams are content to use loan players rather than their own then they have to accept they'll be weakened if they play against the team they borrow players from. It's not like it's an old rule nobody ever voted out of existence. It's been a rule for about 2 years now directly as a result of previous issues with it and the clubs obviously decided it was wrong to potentially allow it.

I'd agree if we didn't have same division loans. Teams should be able to pick whoever they want against teams in their own league and not forced to drop certain ones for certain games. It's not so much the effect on the club who takes the loan on. It's not fair in my mind that that team can play that player against all the other sides in the league bar one.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Would people be happy if we took Goodwillie back should the chance arise?

His career reminds me of Garry O'Connor's, wasted talent, always seems to be in trouble with law but if he retains his ability and screwed the nut I would be fine with it.

I'm presuming if some of our fans wouldn't mind a manager that gives oral sex to homeless men providing we win games then they wouldn't mind a player accused of sexual assault and found guilty through civil courts ruling based on chance and probability as opposed to proof or evidence being here so longs he scored goals?

His career reminds me of Garry O'Connor's, wasted talent, always seems to be in trouble with law but if he retains his ability and screwed the nut I would be fine with it.
I'm presuming if some of our fans wouldn't mind a manager that gives oral sex to homeless men providing we win games then they wouldn't mind a player accused of sexual assault and found guilty through civil courts ruling based on chance and probability as opposed to proof or evidence being here so longs he scored goals?

Would take him in a heartbeat

19 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

I remember him playing for us at Peterhead and he was absolutely shocking obviously didn't want to be there, no interest at all

should never have been given a Rover's jersey to wear again

has he changed ?, very much doubt it - just asking for trouble

Yeah, certainly a gamble but football is full of them

1st time round was different circumstances with it being a loan to lower league for a player with high expectations, we saw recently with Barrie McKay that players don't always respond well to being loaned out. On the whole I didn't think he was too bad, don't think I was at the Peterhead game you mention mind! There is always the chance he would be determined to take his last chance at ft football now that dreams of International and English Premier league are gone?

No to goodwillie from me. As well as being a rapist, he was pretty average when he played for us before and has been a failure at crystal palace, Blackburn, Blackpool, Plymouth Aberdeen and Ross County since. Would be a disgraceful signing imo.

Even if he wasn't a rapist* I'd still rather we didn't sign him. Too many failures (probably resulting from an attitude problem) and scoring a hat-trick in League 2 doesn't exactly mean he'll cut it at this level. His efforts, if we can call them that, at Plymouth are probably a better indicator of hiw he would fare. 

*At least by civil standards of proof. No suing, thank you. 

I really don't think John Hughes and Raith Rovers is any more than a marriage of convenience.

I'm not sure he'd fancy sticking around after the summer, and maybe I've just missed them, but I've not read too many words of praise about him from the players since he come in.

I certainly don't get the impression he's created a decent atmosphere since arriving.

Considering we've so many players signed up for next term, I'd imagine it would probably be better for all parties if we brought a new man on board.

As for Goodwillie coming back, I'd rather see the return of Claude Anelka to be honest.