The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looks like there's a good feeling down Starks way...

Nobody's getting carried away but you'd have to be Rovers fan to understand the difference this season from what we had to suffer under Grant Murray.

It's just good to be looking forward to watching us again.

Listened to Bene's interview there and his enthusiasm is exactly what we're feeling like as fans just now. The next 2 games will be very tough and the expectation would normally be for us to come out of those games with zero points but I think we'll give Hibs an extremely tough game and a point at least shouldn't be out the questions. Then anything from Ibrox is just a bonus.

I'm just messing around really, I can understand the optimism. Ourselves and Rovers have actually gone through similar rebuilds and had good results so we're seeing some of the same optimism. Hopefully our battles this year will be for 4th/5th instead of 7th/8th.

Unfortunately, last night's prices will only lose the club a lot of money in the long term. If our prices drop 50%, we need 50% more fans to simply break even. That won't happen, sadly.

What we can hope for is that some of the games where we put on cheaper prices, is that we play well and preferably win (last night is a good example). Maybe the enjoyment will encourage more people to come on a regular basis. Even an extra 200 a week could make a big difference to a club like us, in terms of what we can potentially offer players to sign for us.

Oh yeah I'm well aware of that, my point being is that football is so expensive as a whole, if only we had massive injections of money from TV then we could justify lowering prices and thus enticing more fans that way. However that isn't the case, so hopefully the product on the park is enough for people to come to Starks Park. I think only that will really happen at the bigger games throughout the season though.

I've turned a buzzing thread into a negative - f*ck sake! Sorry lads!

Unfortunately, last night's prices will only lose the club a lot of money in the long term. If our prices drop 50%, we need 50% more fans to simply break even. That won't happen, sadly.

What we can hope for is that some of the games where we put on cheaper prices, is that we play well and preferably win (last night is a good example). Maybe the enjoyment will encourage more people to come on a regular basis. Even an extra 200 a week could make a big difference to a club like us, in terms of what we can potentially offer players to sign for us.

If prices drop 50% then you need 100% more fans to break even.

But yes, the general point is right enough. Demand for football tickets is fairly inelastic, and price reductions rarely bring in enough extra to cover the shortfall.

The board took a gamble including League Cup and Petrofac Cup in the season ticket. At least the price reduction reduces the amount we have to pay Hamilton. Guess they'll be hoping for an away tie next. When's the draw?

Edited by Beachbum

Did I read earlier in this thread that the "Rovers Ultras" were making their debut against Hibs on Saturday. I take it this is the group of 12 year olds who tried to start a fight against Hearts fans last season?

Not happening now & no it was nothing to do with them.

They were looking to do a drum, tifo display at Easter Road & get a flag, this was the expense.

They could still turn up and just sing throughout the game and call themselves some sort of group. Maybe I've read it wrong but came across like they won't show up at all now.

Apropos of nothing, Liam, I just wanted to say thanks for running the unofficial Facebook page. I'm a big fan of having the various news articles all appearing in the same place.

:thumsup2 it was through a message to said page that I found out about the 'ultras' thing, I added him as a friend afterwards & he was keeping me up-to-date & I was on their page too, that's how I know a wee bit about it.

Seen on FB they abandoned the idea as it was to expensive. What's expensive about turning up to the games and singing for 90 minutes?

My guess is either singing lessons, a drum or a flag.

Oh, and fireworks.

Edited by Scary Bear