The New Raith Rovers Thread

I would say the Bundesliga B is hell of a better standard than the Scottish Championship, and even the Scottish Premiership to a certain extent. Some big clubs in that league.

Seems to fit Ray's age range for the squad as well, even if he was quoted saying he maybe needs a bit more experience...

http://sport.bt.com/goals/goals-freiburg-6-3-nurnberg-91363994898286

I would say the Bundesliga B is hell of a better standard than the Scottish Championship, and even the Scottish Premiership to a certain extent. Some big clubs in that league.

Seems to fit Ray's age range for the squad as well, even if he was quoted saying he maybe needs a bit more experience...

Agreed but unfortunately from the various sites I looked at it'd appear that despite having a season in Germany he didn't feature for the team at all.

Still only 23 so may still do a job and get much better.

No idea why we'd sign a holding midfielder when we desperately need a forward. Come January we'll have one out and out forward unless Wighton extends his loan. Megginson can obviously also play up top, but I think we've got something like five players who can play in the center of midfield (McCord, Craigen, Callachan, Matthews and Petrie)

Davidson was a great servant, almost 10 years at one club in this day and age is a rarity indeed. He really should be held in higher regard by some.

The fact that he's a bit of a fanny probably doesn't help with this, nowhere near as bad as some make out but a total ned who lets himself down far too much.

I'd have held Davidson in higher regard were it not the case that he was continually one of our worst players during his time here.

Agreed.

People seem to be looking through their Davo tinted specs here. He always struggled when playing central defence for us and was liability in midfield. Wasn't it the case that he kept getting suspended so much that every season the bans got lengthier? I'm sure I recall McGlynn mentioning something along those lines.

Anyway McKinnon has said he got asked by his agent if he could train, not the other way around, and there's no guarantee that McKinnon would even want to sign him.

I personally don't see the need for another midfielder. If one came in who would they actually replace in our team? Callachan, McCord and Craigan should all be starting and Petrie looks like a very composed player who offers much much more than I've ever seen of Davidson. If I was to have a guess then perhaps he feels Matthews isn't quite up to the standard yet.

Interesting to hear that he's been in touch with Aberdeen about a striker. Now that they're out of Europe I'd expect to see a few players leave there and perhaps a striker to us. They have a few on their books who could potentially be loaned out. As McKinnon says we're not going to find an obvious striker to replace Vaughan so will probably need to take a chance of a young loanee.

Presumably McKinnon feels he needs a ball winner in the middle of the park. Someone to sit in and do the dirty work while Callachan/McCord/Craigen/Anderson go forward. We could certainly benefit from a bit more dig against the likes of Hibs and Rangers. Both Callachan and McCord have a hint of the 'Gerrards' about them when it comes to making tackles.

A degree of my fangirling around Davo is tongue in cheek, but I do think some people are going overboard. He's a limited footballer, but he carries out his role very effectively.

He's a few years more experienced and more mature than he was the last time he played for us, and I'd be really interested to see what he can bring to the table.

I wouldn't be breaking the bank to bring him in, but if he performs well in training, and he's after reasonable wages, I think he'd give us something we don't have at the moment. I would prioritise another forward ahead of that though, for sure.

Signing Davidson would make sense if McKinnon was contemplating something like a 4-2-3-1.

Davidson and Callachan would be the two, and you could take your pick for the three, maybe Craigen, Anderson and McCord for the sake of argument.

We'd then have Stewart up top, with the option of adding Wighton or Megginson in beside him if Plan A didn't work.

It would also get Craigen into a more central area, which I think would be beneficial.

I'm not saying that's his thinking, in fact, I don't actually think he'll sign him, but I suppose a way to get around a striker shortage is to play fewer strikers.

Edited by McGuigan1978

Barry Mackay has been terrific you eejits wouldn't know a player if he kicked you in the nuts...

He's been outstanding tonight as has lee Wallace, they've been unstoppable down the left hand side. He was brutal for us last year and I think its came down to Grant Murray unable to get the best out of players like Mckay etc..

To be fair, I always said McKay would probably do a better job in a superior team that is expected to dominate the possession. Basically, things are less likely to go wrong when he runs into someone or gives the ball away. His complete lack of defensive ability will also not be as big a problem either.

That anyone could conclude he was anything other than pants for us, is a mystery.

Barry Mackay has been terrific you eejits wouldn't know a player if he kicked you in the nuts...

I think the fact Murray never knew what formation he was playing half the time probably contributed to a lot of guys looking lost, McKay being one ... Its obvious Rangers are happy to play all out attacking football which as a lot of people said last season, it suits McKay ... He seems the player who bombs forward and doesn't want to have to worry about what's going on behind him as he expects others to cover ...

He's done more in the first half of this game than he done at a whole loan season at Starks tbh, anyone who thinks McKay was a cracking player whilst he was at us is crazy if you ask me :P He looked ok, but that was about it !

To be fair, I always said McKay would probably do a better job in a superior team that is expected to dominate the possession. Basically, things are less likely to go wrong when he runs into someone or gives the ball away. His complete lack of defensive ability will also not be as big a problem either.

That anyone could conclude he was anything other than pants for us, is a mystery.

He's been constantly getting back to defend the whole game tonight..