The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lee Miller was apparently at the game last night. I hope it's you he's linked with rather than us!

I saw him walking up stairs in South Stand with what looked like his wee boy and mate only to turn around head for Main Stand. I was immediately worried we'd got him there for ourselves so was pleased when Simon Ferry met him.

Sounds like McKinnon will make changes for Saturday and give some of the young players a proper run out. I'd expect Petrie, Matthews, Bates and Laidlaw to all start. Thompson sounds like he'll also be rested so perhaps Ford might play right back as well.

Such a positive and optimistic interview from McKinnon as well. Can't wait for the competitive action for begin in a week!

Thoughts on Paul Watson guys?

Have you signed him or is he just training with you lot?

Was a decent player the season before last.

Last season, he wasn't able to replicate that form. I would have rather kept Hill over him. Barr's also a far better footballer than him. Toshney and Benedictus so far look to be the real deal as well even though we've only had 3 friendlies. So basically wouldn't swap any of our 3 CB's for him.

Would be a decent signing for Alloa, Dumbarton or Livi. But not for a team fighting at the other end of the table Imo.

Noticed Mckinnon in the Ffp going on about the fact that hes not decided on who the captain will be, this season despite Thomson taking the armband for the friendlies so far. He says that there are a few candidates hes considering for it.

Who would everyone like to wear the armband this season?

Also, who do you think Mckinnon will pick to wear it?

Noticed Mckinnon in the Ffp going on about the fact that hes not decided on who the captain will be, this season despite Thomson taking the armband for the friendlies so far. He says that there are a few candidates hes considering for it.

Who would everyone like to wear the armband this season?

Also, who do you think Mckinnon will pick to wear it?

Give it to whoever can shout the loudest.

I have no idea of the qualities, or lack of qualities, of the signings we've made. Difficult to suggest a captain on that basis. We'll need a season to get to know one another.

Thoughts on Paul Watson guys?

I know we've only been playing friendlies but the pairing of Benedictus and Toshney at the back has been an absolute stand out so far. Gone are the long punts up the park that were Watson's speciality, so from that point of view he won't be missed. He moaned a lot as well, mainly because it was never his fault when the goals went in.

I know we've only been playing friendlies but the pairing of Benedictus and Toshney at the back has been an absolute stand out so far. Gone are the long punts up the park that were Watson's speciality, so from that point of view he won't be missed. He moaned a lot as well, mainly because it was never his fault when the goals went in.

Yeah he had a bit of Allan Walkers about in.

Watching the game again it looks pretty clear McGurn probably should have stopped both they goals ... Not that I hold it against him, he is a god, but I just hope McKinnon doesn't use that as a reason to go with Cuthbert as our #1 !

Watson was decent enough, I liked him (minus his attitude at times) but as others say, our 3 CB's at the minute look head and shoulders above what he was so I'm glad hes gone ... Not sure hes the type of player who should be heading to a play off / promotion challenging team though ...

Wouldn't know who to pick as captain ... We literally have a whole new squad & the only "experienced" guys left (that have been here a while) are Thomson, Ando & McGurn ... Tough choice !

Er, forgive me in advance but the Witch looked awfy culpable at that 2nd Dundee goal did he not? Went down like a venetian blind / in instalments / insert your own quip. Here's hoping that's his one mistake per season over and done with.

Even on that kind of form, he's on a par with Cuthbert and Laidlaw.

In my opinion I thought the back 4 looked shakey with Mcgurn behind them. Wouldn't be surprised if McKinnon starts with Cuthbert in goals. He does train with them everyday. Don't get me wrong I would rather have Davie in goals but I don't think that's going to happen. Would take Toshney as captain as he seems more vocal than thomson

I've seen a lot of people over the past year or so on his thread saying that Thomson shouldn't be captain because he doesn't seem to communicate particularly well with other players. Whilst they may be correct (I don't sit close enough to the pitch to hear them) is suggest that being the captain is a lot more than that. He's always available for the ball, never hides when it's not going so well and never shirks a challenge which sets an excellent example to the whole squad. I'd be more than happy for him to continue in his role.

Who do we think is going to be scapegoat of the season? I'm going Ryan McCord.

Benedictus always struck me as more captain material than Toshney did tbh. Really interested in how your back line gets on. Think there was potential in Toshney more so as a RB before his injuries. And Bene is a strange one. Started out under Jocky as a promising youth at 16, then fell away later on in his career even as a youth - he was deemed a player that'd never get near a first division player. After that he was thrust into the limelight in the SPL season we were the whipping boys and came out with a bit of credit before fading away again.

I've seen a lot of people over the past year or so on his thread saying that Thomson shouldn't be captain because he doesn't seem to communicate particularly well with other players. Whilst they may be correct (I don't sit close enough to the pitch to hear them) is suggest that being the captain is a lot more than that. He's always available for the ball, never hides when it's not going so well and never shirks a challenge which sets an excellent example to the whole squad. I'd be more than happy for him to continue in his role.

Early signs point this way, already blood in the water on the Dundee match thread on fantalk.

If McGurn doesn't train with the club at all, then the only way for McKinnon to judge his current ability is on the park.

It's an obvious point to make, but being susceptible for a couple of goals won't do his chances of starting any good, and I'm sure Davie will be fully aware of that.

I'd imagine that from the evidence the new boss has in front of him at the moment, he'd regard Cuthbert as his number one.

Scapegoat: Cuthbert or one of the wide midfielders, possibly Megginson. That's without even seeing them.