The New Raith Rovers Thread

Best of luck to Reece. Seems a cracking lad but we just never seemed sure of where he'd best fit in with us. Hopefully he can go on and make a solid career for himself. Getting game time is going to be the most important thing for him at that age and I'm sure Peterhead with give him a chance to do so.

Sorry to hear that he is away, when he first started playing at right back for us he looked fantastic but seemed to struggle at times playing in the centre. By all accounts he seems like he was outstanding for Peterhead and im glad he is going back to them, hopefully it will give him the chance to develop. All the best

Why are we learning about players being released via the Buchan Observer?

Good luck to Donaldson, he had a few decent performances last season but not enough to suggest he was ready to step up and become a first team regular.

Why are we learning about players being released via the Buchan Observer?

Good luck to Donaldson, he had a few decent performances last season but not enough to suggest he was ready to step up and become a first team regular.

Probably because we're still negotiating with players. Donaldson also was quick to let Peterhead know of his intentions and how he wanted to be there. They'll be happy to pass it on to their local paper as its positive news.

In terms of ourselves, it might be we can't come to terms with players and release them. Until we're done talking to our current squad, I wouldn't be overly critical.

For some reason I thought Donaldson was contracted with us for another season. Wish him well but not overly concerned that he's away, not cut out for this level imo. Hopefully there's more news in the next couple of weeks in regards to players re-signing/new players signing.

A wee but gutted that dece has left. Quite versatile and I thought he had the potential to play a bigger part. Not overly concerned though. All the best to him.

Edited by kev23

Reece has shown in spells he was a good player when given a run of games. I think its a silly move on murrays part letting a versatile young player leave unless he has a better option lined up, only time will tell with that though.

I think this a good decision. Never looked comfortable. He was pretty naive at times, easily proved by his 2 "silly" red cards he recieved. The one at Dumbarton was particularly shambollock. He was only on the field for about 10 minutes! :lol:

Not good enough for us I'm afraid. Whatever position he played in...

Edited by Wardy

Another triumph for the youth system. You can see why the clubs want to pool their resources. That way they can lose less money producing players who aren't good enough for the first team.

Personally, I've come round to the view that the youth system is a waste of money. It might be best to save that money and pick up players that the Premiership clubs release.

Edited by Scary Bear

Obviously everyone wants the youth system to work out for all parties. But sometimes it just doesn't work out, in Donaldsons case anyway.

We will have Laidlaw, Callachan and Vaughan in the squad again next season. We have a 17 year old full back representing Scotland.

The youth system is changing anyway, with Rovers joining the other Fife clubs in developing talent together. Whether this turns out to be a good thing, is another thing though..

To say the youth system didnt work out in donaldsons case really is harsh. I think he could easily improve based on what iv seen of him. Hes young, versatile and was as iv said good enough when given a run of games, which every young player needs to progress. Its the right move for him but i dont think its the right one for us.

Agreed - so why release him ? Why not give him the game time he needs to develop?

That's what is wrong with our tooth set up. We spend money doing the hard bit - but when players get to the point of reaching the first team we prefer to release them rather than giving them the game time they need to kick on

Maybe it is harsh on the guy, but it was obviously a decision the manager has opted to take. I fully agree with his decision as well. Only 20, granted, but judging when I've seen him, he just wasn't good enough for us. It's as simple as that.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares in League 1 next season. If he does well, good luck to the guy.

To say the youth system didnt work out in donaldsons case really is harsh. I think he could easily improve based on what iv seen of him. Hes young, versatile and was as iv said good enough when given a run of games, which every young player needs to progress. Its the right move for him but i dont think its the right one for us.

If he was good enough they wouldn't have released him.

Obviously everyone wants the youth system to work out for all parties. But sometimes it just doesn't work out, in Donaldsons case anyway.

We will have Laidlaw, Callachan and Vaughan in the squad again next season. We have a 17 year old full back representing Scotland.

The youth system is changing anyway, with Rovers joining the other Fife clubs in developing talent together. Whether this turns out to be a good thing, is another thing though..

When did it last work out for both parties? I still have high hopes for Vaughan but I can see the other two mentioned being asked to leave at some stage.

Hopefully this new youth system works out.