The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is that an actual fact or just opinion? Have you seen the terraces at Dortmund's stadium? They're mentally steep, never heard any issues about them.

I suppose that there are regulations, does anyone know them?

Yes there are regulations:

hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/.../HSE000001100001.pdf

www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/sites/default/files/.../green-guide.pdf

Both are quite old (especially the second one) but there are a raft of more up to date regulations for spectator safety.

They are usually built in to the development phase of new stadiums and also form part of the safety certificate conditions on existing stadium.

Believe it or not I used to work with a guy who could recite all of these. He was a mad football fan and keen architect. He was obsessed with the new stadiums getting built in the 90's.

that would depend if you owned the house,if like the rovers you rent the property you get the landlord to repair it,unfortunately due to the tenancy agreement we have,we cant

That's the case for domestic accommodation. However, for commercial leases, it seems to be fairly common for the tenant to pay for maintenance of properties. Think the house analogy has run the course.

Could well have been. My memory of events is often a bit hazy. I remember Kevin Twaddle scoring for us. That's my strongest memory of the day. Who was managing us? Had Iain Munro been appointed at that stage?

He had, yeah. Brief report here - http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TOMMY+LOSES+THE+BIG+RAITH.-a061164304 .

As you say,Twaddle scored the winner. Apparently Alex Taylor scored the other two, which I couldn't have told you.

Can't remember the said 3-2 game, but I do remember a stevie Kirk free-kick goal up at Tannadice, which I'm sure we won 3-2 also? Same season?

We won 2-1 at Tannadice later in the same season. Stevie Kirk did indeed score - before being sent off - but I wasn't at the game so don't know if it was a free-kick. (I'm just going by soccerbase on this one.)

We did win 3-2 at Tannadice on the last day of the 93-94 season though, two goals from Jason Dair and a screamer from Sinclair. Brian Potter made the first of his two Raith appearances that day, I think Duncan Shearer had broken Thomson's cheekbone in the previous game.

He had, yeah. Brief report here - http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TOMMY+LOSES+THE+BIG+RAITH.-a061164304 .

As you say,Twaddle scored the winner. Apparently Alex Taylor scored the other two, which I couldn't have told you.

We won 2-1 at Tannadice later in the same season. Stevie Kirk did indeed score - before being sent off - but I wasn't at the game so don't know if it was a free-kick. (I'm just going by soccerbase on this one.)

We did win 3-2 at Tannadice on the last day of the 93-94 season though, two goals from Jason Dair and a screamer from Sinclair. Brian Potter made the first of his two Raith appearances that day, I think Duncan Shearer had broken Thomson's cheekbone in the previous game.

Twaddle: "I've always said we could finish as high as fourth in the league and if we can get a run together I'll stick to that."

ooft.

Twaddle: "I've always said we could finish as high as fourth in the league and if we can get a run together I'll stick to that."

ooft.

Ooft indeed. Last time I saw Kev Twaddle he was working in the CCTV department at Edinburgh Council. Bet he didn't predict that. Good player on his day, though. He was great in games against us for St Johnstone.

Just went in fantalk and read the discussion of the Railway Stand. My god. There are some utter morons in our support

why not say so over their then instead of running over here to say it?

contrary to belief there are many differences of opinion on the railway stand

Yeah the tannadice game was a free kick for stevie kirk. Think Danny lennon might have got the other one. The 3-2 game was an end of season affair 3-0 up at half time I seem to remember a mini pitch invasion involving some one dressed as the pink panther! Although it was 20 years ago and may have dreamt it.

Yeah the tannadice game was a free kick for stevie kirk. Think Danny lennon might have got the other one. The 3-2 game was an end of season affair 3-0 up at half time I seem to remember a mini pitch invasion involving some one dressed as the pink panther! Although it was 20 years ago and may have dreamt it.

I think you could be right about the pink panther in the 3-2 match! The game was the week before United beat Rangers in the cup final. I remember one of Jason Dair's goals coming from a run that started in our own half. We played some great stuff that season, as daft as that sounds considering we were relegated well before the end of the season.

If the railway stand is ever opened up to home fans again, it will remove any of the remaining atmosphere. You would be left with 3 home stands with 500 odd fans in them.

At least you get some kind of atmosphere in the South Stand with a reasonable crowd in there.

A new Fife Elite Football Academy will be formed pooling the funding/players of the four Fife clubs to allow the respective youth players to compete against other teams at the elite level, such as Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee United.

http://www.raithrovers.net/14644/fife-elite-regional-academy-to-be-formed.htm

Interesting stuff. I would enjoy taking in a game at youth level knowing that the players on show are earmarked as the best talent available in Fife; it should also help us retain such talent locally.

If the railway stand is ever opened up to home fans again, it will remove any of the remaining atmosphere. You would be left with 3 home stands with 500 odd fans in them.

At least you get some kind of atmosphere in the South Stand with a reasonable crowd in there.

I suspect the Railway stand development will stop at the away end. I can see the economic reasoning behind replacing the seats in the away end for this season but there is no justification for replacing seats in the home end unless we suddenly find a few thousand extra fans from somewhere. When was the last time we managed to fill the main stand and south stand with Rovers fans other than a game against the Old Firm. I'm not sure we ever have.

With the usual 1300-1500 crowd in Stark's Park, there is already no atmosphere. Adding the home end of the Railway Stand will probably help atmosphere, as the people in it will be closer to the pitch, the players, and the away fans. Edited by Scary Bear

I suspect the Railway stand development will stop at the away end. I can see the economic reasoning behind replacing the seats in the away end for this season but there is no justification for replacing seats in the home end unless we suddenly find a few thousand extra fans from somewhere. When was the last time we managed to fill the main stand and south stand with Rovers fans other than a game against the Old Firm. I'm not sure we ever have.

Fine. Then shut the South Stand. Plenty room in the Railway Stand and Main Stand for most games. Policing and stewarding costs would presumably be reduced. Everyone packed in tighter together and closer to the pitch would improve atmosphere. Edited by Scary Bear

A new Fife Elite Football Academy will be formed pooling the funding/players of the four Fife clubs to allow the respective youth players to compete against other teams at the elite level, such as Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee United.

http://www.raithrovers.net/14644/fife-elite-regional-academy-to-be-formed.htm

Interesting stuff. I would enjoy taking in a game at youth level knowing that the players on show are earmarked as the best talent available in Fife; it should also help us retain such talent locally.

Wonder how that works when the clubs want to sign some of these guys, quotas or a free market system where biggest and best gets first dibs on the best talent - in which case what incentive is there for the smaller fife clubs to be involved?