The New Raith Rovers Thread

The thing is, we aren't competitive right now. We are getting beat by almost everyone. Our second half of the season form IS down there with that of Mortons.

I have been to the majority of games this season and can see no reason to suggest Murray will turn this round. Anyone who thinks he will is doing so out of blind faith and loyalty.

You're absolutely entitled to be unhappy with how your league season has unfolded, and absolutely entitled to question the manager's suitability as you look ahead.

When assessing the season though, just remember that you got an afternoon last month that most fans would have killed for and that you'll remember far longer than you would, had you picked up enough points to be a couple of places further up the table.

I'm not saying this in defence of your manager and players; just reminding you that fandom is all about the occasional glory and this season presented you with a huge slice.

First and foremost...thank The Lord the season is over.

Under Murray's leadership in the 2 seasons in charge, he has won 22 league games out of a possible 72. Not even a third. Pretty poor. This leads me to the conclusion that, he isint really up to the job.

We've seen many a game this season, that a team has basically just been put on the park, 4-4-2 and been told to get on with it!

An an example would be The Dumbarton game after the cup final that was an embarrassment. I know there were a couple of suspensions and injuries, but Mullen and Elliot in the middle, with Gordon smith out wide? Come on? He had Callachan (who has had his fair share of game time this season) on the bench. Even if he had put Callachan and Vaughan in the middle. With smith out wide. Least it wouldn't be obvious shoe-horning players into positions they simply cannot play in.

Tactically not good enough, clearly lacking in a player who would lead the team (Thomson isint the best captain we've ever had) on the field, drive them on and organise.

Murray was a good organiser at the back when playing, but it seems this communication has been lost since he's moved onto the touch line.

The defence have been an utter shambles at times, almost chucking goals in. 61 goals to be exact. This cannot continue into next season or we will basically be Morton in disguise.

16 defeats in league with 3 part-time sides in it, simply isint good enough either. That's only 4 defeats more than than the previous season, but it's still pretty poor in a 36 game season.

The cup games are the strange one. I'll forever be grateful to this seasons team for winning the cup (I missed the coca cola cup ) as it was a brilliant day out. But, again first and foremost ( :lol: ) the league is the bread and butter, and what be should be judged on. And as the evidence shows, isin't very good.

You're absolutely entitled to be unhappy with how your league season has unfolded, and absolutely entitled to question the manager's suitability as you look ahead.

When assessing the season though, just remember that you got an afternoon last month that most fans would have killed for and that you'll remember far longer than you would, had you picked up enough points to be a couple of places further up the table.

I'm not saying this in defence of your manager and players; just reminding you that fandom is all about the occasional glory and this season presented you with a huge slice.

I don't look at the players and management and think of them as the guys that defeated the not so mighty Rangers, I just see them as being part of a season to forget. As far as I'm concerned that cup win might as well never have happened. Edited by Martin Nelson

There was a feeling at the end of last season that the team had done just about the minimum that was expected and that Murray really had to prove himself this season. He's done worse and with a supposed better squad on paper. It's unacceptable.

Grant Murray isn't sitting in his office fourteen hours a day staring at the walls and trying to do his Rubik's cube. He knows the problems that have dogged the team over the last few months. I think he's shown enough this season to be trusted to build on his strengths and address his weaknesses, rather than handing the reins to an unknown.

Sorry, can't agree with that at all. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest that for me, nothing whatsoever. When have we tried anything different at all this season? It's 4-4-2 no matter what. He had 4-5-1 almost forced upon him at Easter Road and it worked a treat, so he decided to approach the next league game in the same manner - 4-0 down at half time at home. What else has he tried?

For me, there's an absolute catalogue of errors for Murray this season. In no particular order:

• "First and foremost" the squad size
  • The timing of dropping Ross Laidlaw
  • Failing to sign a centre back in January
  • Failure to sign a winger of any kind at any stage to give competition to Cardle and Anderson
  • His merry-go-round of strikers - it's not all about who scored last which is why we've been 'treated' to Baird and Spence chasing their own first touches all game on several occasions when it's clearly, by a long distance, our worst partnership
  • 4-4-2 no matter what
  • Square pegs in round holes - the Dumbarton game for instance
  • Failing to even attempt a shake-up for the majority of games e.g. swapping Anderson and Cardle for 5 minutes, push Thomson forward when it's not working for Booth, etc
  • Insistence on playing players, e.g. Cardle and Fox, when completely off form
  • The difference in attitude between Cup and league games
  • A completely and utterly criminal failure to address set-piece problems - just how many did we lose?
  • Probably the pettiest of my points but his post-match interviews really do not suggest he knows what's going wrong at all - accept this could be a public facade but it doesn't inspire confidence after yet another defeat when he just repeats that "we're disappointed as we want to win games of football"
  • Four points from twelve games (a third of the season) against the top 3
  • A complete failure to handle the behaviour of Calum Elliot with referees.
  • A complete failure to address the shocking defending which saw us leaking 3-4 a game EVERY game
  • A complete failure to address our woeful away form - seven points from our last thirteen away games.
  • THREE WINS IN TWENTY

The last few months have completely drained me of any hope Grant Murray is the man to take us forward. He's given us a moment we'll never forget, but it's also a moment that shouldn't be allowed to hold us back. He built a good first team this season at the expense of a squad but the worrying thing is, as pointed out, we haven't had a bad injury record at all this season. We lost our first choice goalie for much of the season but the man Murray signed as back-up and the man Murray brought in to replace the back-up were nowhere near upto it. We lost our first-choice centre back for much of the season but the men Murray signed as back-up, and indeed Murray's other first choice centre back, weren't up to it. We lost Elliot for a spell and Smith and Spence, who Murray signed, weren't upto it. There's the shell of a good team but if I were a Watson, a Cardle, a Moon, a Baird, I'd be looking elsewhere as they certainly don't deserve to have a team with as poor a record as ours. A shell is not enough. Let's try to keep what good we have in the playing pool and get rid of a manager who has completely failed to take us ANYWHERE since his appointment - we finished seventh under McGlynn in 11/12 with 44 points, and we finish 7th, in a weaker league with a better squad, with 42 points in 13/14. Someone else has to be given the chance to improve on that.

Edited by Paco

There's the shell of a good team but if I were a Watson, a Cardle, a Moon, a Baird, I'd be looking elsewhere as they certainly don't deserve to have a team with as poor a record as ours.[/

quote]

I agree with your whole post pretty much apart from the piece I've quoted, Baird won't be going anywhere..

He's had his shot at the premiership and failed big time so won't be looking there.

Falkirk and Hamilton already have better forwards than him anyway, and could attract better players for next season.

QotS and livi are similar sized, with similar seasons most of the time as well so would be no different than us

Livi are also having to make cuts for next year as well, so can't see them being able to offer Baird a contract and Qots is a 2 and a half hour car journey from kirkcaldy and am I right in thinking Baird's from Burntisland ( could be wrong on that one) so can't see him commuting to Dumfries on a daily basis.

Dumbarton and Alloa - 2 part-time teams, and I can't really see him going part-time.

Rangers will more than likely spunk money that they don't have on players from the Spl again.

Hearts, i'm sure still have a transfer embargo so won't be able to approach him, even if they wanted to, plus I'm sure they would be able to attract better players than Baird.

The only team I can see him going to would be the pars but if he had any sense he would see them as a team who have just came out of admin, and treated their players last season( Cardle, Barrowman and Kirk) like Sh*te.

So on that basis, Baird I reckon, will stay.

Wasn't suggesting they'll necessarily find a new club but since Baird signed at the end of January we've won two league games. I don't imagine that'll particularly entice him to sign the first contract offer we stick under his nose.

Wasn't suggesting they'll necessarily find a new club but since Baird signed at the end of January we've won two league games. I don't imagine that'll particularly entice him to sign the first contract offer we stick under his nose.

3 league games but I get your point :lol: he'll probably be demanding a better contract to stay with us.

Sorry, can't agree with that at all. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest that for me, nothing whatsoever. When have we tried anything different at all this season? It's 4-4-2 no matter what. He had 4-5-1 almost forced upon him at Easter Road and it worked a treat, so he decided to approach the next league game in the same manner - 4-0 down at half time at home. What else has he tried?

For me, there's an absolute catalogue of errors for Murray this season. In no particular order:

• "First and foremost" the squad size
  • The timing of dropping Ross Laidlaw
  • Failing to sign a centre back in January
  • Failure to sign a winger of any kind at any stage to give competition to Cardle and Anderson
  • His merry-go-round of strikers - it's not all about who scored last which is why we've been 'treated' to Baird and Spence chasing their own first touches all game on several occasions when it's clearly, by a long distance, our worst partnership
  • 4-4-2 no matter what
  • Square pegs in round holes - the Dumbarton game for instance
  • Failing to even attempt a shake-up for the majority of games e.g. swapping Anderson and Cardle for 5 minutes, push Thomson forward when it's not working for Booth, etc
  • Insistence on playing players, e.g. Cardle and Fox, when completely off form
  • The difference in attitude between Cup and league games
  • A completely and utterly criminal failure to address set-piece problems - just how many did we lose?
  • Probably the pettiest of my points but his post-match interviews really do not suggest he knows what's going wrong at all - accept this could be a public facade but it doesn't inspire confidence after yet another defeat when he just repeats that "we're disappointed as we want to win games of football"
  • Four points from twelve games (a third of the season) against the top 3
  • A complete failure to handle the behaviour of Calum Elliot with referees.
  • A complete failure to address the shocking defending which saw us leaking 3-4 a game EVERY game
  • A complete failure to address our woeful away form - seven points from our last thirteen away games.
  • THREE WINS IN TWENTY

Agree with all of this.

I think there's quite a few of us that all share the same views here. I'm glad I'm not the only one, if people disagree with anything I said on my post, please feel free to debate. I backed up most of my opinions with stats also, just to emphasise how disappointing Murray's reign as manager has actually been...

To be honest if you went for being mini Livi this season you really went for the wrong players. I won't include Watson because I was unhappy that we let him go. Instead of Elliot, Fox and Booth you should have gone for Russell, Tony Andreu and Jesus Garcia Tena. Craig Barr was also available in January and his signing for Airdrie coincided with a bit of a revival for them. I was glad we got rid of Fox who just ran about a lot and gave suicide passes to his team mates when he did have the ball. Booth was distinctly ordinary.

Edited by orco