The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would quite happily have Thomson in at CB with Mullen and Booth as full backs. Hopefully Hill is ok for Saturday. Callachan has to start in the middle alongside Moon (I'd have no issues with Fox being dropped). Baird will more than likely start however unsure whether Murray will play him alongside Smith or Spence. I felt Smith looked more lively when he came on against Hibs than Spence and he's good at the 'Elliot role' of holding up play with Baird being the work horse. Could work.

Here are some more videos of Saturday:

Impression video: http://youtu.be/ICrL4hoGZjs

Donaldson getting injured: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ng9LoRqaxs

Donaldson off on stretcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClqRYlfOu9Y

Important Laidlaw save: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomdWg-z3t0

Thomson is an emergency centre back and no more. I wouldn't look too much into one game where he's spent a lot of time there.

By the sounds of it Donaldson will miss a few weeks, which is a nightmare in all honesty as he'd been doing well and we lose a lot of versatility when he's not available. Hopefully Hill will be back for Saturday, though.

Who knows, maybe we'll get through the game without anyone getting injured.

I'd disagree and say Thomson is quite adequate at playing centre half. That said, obviously not ideal but that's twice he's slotted in there without any major problems. Both times he's moved into the centre, we haven't lost.

Hill didn't seem too badly injured at the end of the match so hopefully he'll be fit for Saturday. Watson can't be far away from a reserve game now either.

I was impressed by Mullen on Saturday. First time I've seen him play and he was solid defensively but still managed to get forward a few times. He certainly seems to be an improvement on McCann and probably Thomson on current form.

Hill didn't seem too badly injured at the end of the match so hopefully he'll be fit for Saturday. Watson can't be far away from a reserve game now either.

I was impressed by Mullen on Saturday. First time I've seen him play and he was solid defensively but still managed to get forward a few times. He certainly seems to be an improvement on McCann and probably Thomson on current form.

The reserve league is done and dusted bar some postponements, his best bet would be a couple of closed door games.

We've had some great cup runs under him but we've had some terrible league form as well. You'd think it was a motivational thing but i can't see it if he can get the players so up for the cup games.

Morton beat Celtic and look what's happened to them. Rovers could easily go the same way but Alloa will probably save them.

Players will naturally get themselves up for big games like last week, Murray will have had very little to do. We have scored 2 goals in the league this year and are playing badly that to me shows Murray perhaps doesnt know how to motivate the players and going off of what has been said today and of other games he doesnt know how to pick a team.

Grumswall and Lang Toun Lad, I posted this in the Accies match thread, but according to one of the Rovers players (sorry I don't remember who said it or which paper I read it in) after the Hibs game, Grant Murray is supposed to be great at motivating the players in the run up to a cup game. If this is true, why is he unable to translate this to our league games? Baffling.... Almost as baffling as the team selection.... And the repetition of tactics that don't seem to work. I am baffled!

Edited by Nairney

Over the last couple of months Murray has gone right down in my estimations.

Setting the team up so negatively week after week is going to breed one thing, negativity.

He is clearly failing to motivate the players.

He is too 'nice'. This team need a rocket up their arse and several players need a game or two in the Stand, friends/favourites whatever, if they aren't performing, get them dropped.

Substitutions are poor, formations worse. Starting line ups very questionable.

Post match interviews, insulting to anyone who pays good money to watch us.

Full time squad training at a 'state of the art' complex each day yet same set piece routines week in week out, one dimensional, predictable tactics. Fitness levels don't look any higher than that of Alloa, Cowden or Dumbarton.

Playing one man up front at home is bad, Spence being that man was criminal. Fox has been a passenger for weeks.

I thought playing one up front at Morton (who are pish but we made look decent) was bad enough.

Livi away I thought we had hit rock bottom, we have now surpassed that several times and it is the same shit each game, if he can't change things or improve things then he isn't doing the job expected of him surely?

Our squad has ability but isn't being utilised properly in my view, blame lies at managers door and cup runs should not disguise that. Hibs performance aside we have been utter dross for months.