The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the subject of Joe, his Fiancée has just given birth to a baby girl, both mother and daughter are doing great. fantastic news for a lovely guy.

If it's a girl they're calling her Sigourney after an actress.

And if it's a boy they're naming him Rodney, after Dave.

Keep reading on twitter about all these championship sides signing players and strengthening their team. They're all bringing in 3 or 4 players and we're down to the bare bones and seem reluctant to bring any more in. Hope im wrong but the bus seems to have left without us

I say we keep playing our youth and see where it takes us this season. Players like Laidlaw, Callachan, Vaughan and Donaldson can all improve together with game time. These players mixed with the likes of Cardle, moon, Elliot and Anderson should have the basis of a solid outfit.

Us as Rovers fans just need to be patient. Falkirk did it with their youth players, let's get right behind ours.

Keep reading on twitter about all these championship sides signing players and strengthening their team. They're all bringing in 3 or 4 players and we're down to the bare bones and seem reluctant to bring any more in. Hope im wrong but the bus seems to have left without us

In fairness, there are three teams throwing money around. Hamilton are cash rich and buying clever, Morton are revamping a dreadful squad in a desperate attempt to clamber off the bottom of the league, and Dundee are indulging in the initial stage of their traditional overspend/administrate cycle.

If we don't have the money, we can't spend. It's as simple as that. For what it's worth, I think Fraser Mullen will be the last defensive signing we make, and we'll bring in one more player before the window closes. I'd expect it to be another midfielder, and I'd be surprised if it's not someone who gives us another option out wide.

When do we start to panic? I know we're only out the playoff position by goal difference at the moment but we could realistically find ourselves down in 8th place if results go against us this weekend. It's all very annoying when you consider how good we were at the start of the season and we did have a decent gap between ourselves and teams below us. I appreciate that Murray and the board are not wanting to go all gung ho with transfers and that there are probably players on the radar but the lack of activity is a bit of a worry. The return of Watson and McGurn may just allow us to finish in a more respectable position.

On a more positive note I see we've shifted 1400 tix for the Hibs game. No bad going when you consider our average home support so far this season.

The issues with the loan system means that they'd probably have to sign players outright, like they've done with Mullen.

Presumably that means adding approximately 8 thousand (at a rough guess) to the wage bill between now and the end of the season, per player.

For a club that is always tight in terms of making a profit, that's a fairly sizable increase. Especially when the reward looks currently to be 3rd or 4th, which in this play-off system, is going to be an extremely difficult position to gain promotion from.

I think if they'd kept touch with Dundee and Hamilton then they'd have been more inclined to shell out on 2 or 3 new faces, but now I guess the potential return isn't quite as great.

I'd love to see another couple in, but I can understand if they don't.

So, we're now into the last six months of the majority of the lad's contracts. Without getting into a negative "I'd release X, Y and Z!" conversation, if you could offer, say, three contract extensions to existing players at this time who would they be? For the avoidance of doubt, Ross Laidlaw is signed up until the summer of 2015, and Lewis Vaughan is on board until the year after that. Everyone else is fair game.

For me:

Grant Murray - I'm cheating at my own game, but technically he's still a player, and his contract runs out in the summer!

David McGurn - If I could offer him a four year deal, I would.

Paul Watson - Easy to forget that he's only just 23. He's shown a lot of promise this season, and it's been well covered how much we're missing him at the back. The kind of player you can build a long term defence around.

Apologies for the brief justifications there, I lost a lot of motivation for the idea pretty quickly. Over to you...

So, we're now into the last six months of the majority of the lad's contracts. Without getting into a negative "I'd release X, Y and Z!" conversation, if you could offer, say, three contract extensions to existing players at this time who would they be? For the avoidance of doubt, Ross Laidlaw is signed up until the summer of 2015, and Lewis Vaughan is on board until the year after that. Everyone else is fair game.

For me:

Grant Murray - I'm cheating at my own game, but technically he's still a player, and his contract runs out in the summer!

David McGurn - If I could offer him a four year deal, I would.

Paul Watson - Easy to forget that he's only just 23. He's shown a lot of promise this season, and it's been well covered how much we're missing him at the back. The kind of player you can build a long term defence around.

Apologies for the brief justifications there, I lost a lot of motivation for the idea pretty quickly. Over to you...

Fraser mullen,I know he's only played one game but he looks handy and is still young and is only gonna get better. I agree with Watson and moon would be my third as i think him and callachan make a good partnership

Elliot he's been pish lately but who hasn't

Moon is a great player in my eyes and the best midfielder at the club for years

The witch see above and add into that he's the best keeper in the league.

I would also tie up booth, watson and callachan pronto

Moon, McGurn and probably Watson. There are a few more I'd keep but that's a discussion for another day.....

Agree with this. In all honesty, I think that we do have a good squad, but the problem is that we're simply too spread thin. Ideally we'll get Watson signed up along with Dougie, as they looked like that had a good partnership with a new center back coming in too.

Didn't he sign a new two-year deal in November? Or did I dream it? Entirely possible.

McGurn, Watson and Moon for me too. Elliot immediately after. Booth and Callachan the only other players at this stage I'd really, really want to keep.

Would def be trying to keep hold of McGurn (presuming he comes back fit and well), Watson, Moon and Elliot. These four create a solid spine from back to front.

Would also keep Cardle, he gets unfair abuse from certain quarters, still a class act when in the mood. If Hibs free Booth then that's another I would happily have back and if Callachan continues to develop then wouldn't complain at giving him another season. A disciplined Hill is a good asset too.

Currently the rest have a bit to prove over the rest of the season for me....

With the extra financial security we have with the change in league structure I'd like to see us giving players multiple year deals again. I also think we have the makings of a really good squad and can't really narrow it down to just 3 players.

McGurn, Watson, Moon and Elliot would probably be my must keeps followed by Hill, Anderson and Callachan.

If possible I'd like to see us offer Booth a contract but I imagine he'll be away even if it isn't back to Hibs.

The only players I'm unsure of are Spence, Smith and Mullen. Mullen has only played one game so can't judge and I think we can improve on Smith. Spence is a player I like but he has been poor since the 2nd quarter.

The rest of the squad are worth keeping but wouldn't be too hard to replace if we needed to.