The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hopefully, the kits have been decent. Saw the 125 years one hidden away the other day, what a belter that was.

I really want that kit, best Rovers strip since I've been following. Gutted I never snapped one up when it was out, I suppose you can't get it anymore?

Seems the take up of the ST is good so far. Raith wrote on Twitter:

"take up has been good so far, though we don't have exact numbers. We are also open until 7.30pm on Thursday to sell them."

Lets hope it continues like that. Depends also on the (re-)signings after the early bird offers...

Still gutted myself that I never got the 125 year strip when it was out and they then became gold dust once the league was tied up

We probably wont get a strip like that for a while purely down to cost, to get anything outwidth a standard "template" costs extra dough which we have just ploughed into redoing the pitch. Hoping still with Puma as mentioned the quality of the tops and training gear is pretty good

Assuming Heskey may have been Graham, just a guess

So, who do we think is going along with S.Anderson? Mensing, I assume will try and get the move down south that he couldn't quite get last summer. If further cost cutting is the name of the game, and with Donaldson already under contract, I can see Malone being released with Reece Donaldson becoming first choice left back. Graham is certainly gone, unless all the interest in him dries up, or his move collapses.

You'd assume that Walker, G.Anderson, Thomson, Spence and probably Clarke will all get offered something (irrespective of whether you think they should, Murray I think still rates Walker enough to offer him something). Reduced terms however? Probably at least for some of them. You'd guess Murray will be targetting his budget. God knows what'll happen with Hammill, I think, that with S.Anderson gone, and with Murray maybe looking at Callachan as a regular, then they'd be a decent partnership, lately Hammill also found some flexibility playing that left back/left wing back position.

Callachan and Vaughn I reckon will definitely be offered something (and you'd think they accept) and I can see Callachan at least becoming a more regular feature.

Cardle? You'd assume he'd be off, but if Murray is trying to use guys like Callachan and Donaldson instead of more established players, it'll be becuase he's trying to scrape money together for a 'marquee' signing like Cardle.

So, on the assumption that Callachan and Donaldson at least are going to be regulars next year, and assuming that we lose Mensing, Graham and Malone in addition to S.Anderson, and also assuming we made an offer to Cardle, then addition to that (on the way out at left field assumption that he'd take it) then we'd be looking at a couple of centre backs, a forward and maybe a midfielder during the summer.

Edited by renton

Murray now has a chance to put a squad together with players that suit his favoured formation (whatever that may be).

We would need a new set of players every 2 weeks then :lol:

S. Anderson going isn't bad at all if Murray is planning on playing 4-4-2. Callaghan and Walker, provided he's on form, could work pretty well in the middle.

Budget is probably dictating us, though. It's hard to say who will leave because we don't want to keep them and those we want to keep but can't afford. I'd let Malone go, though - Donaldson is a capable LB.

Assuming a squad of seventeen/eighteen players again:

McGurn, Laidlaw

Thomson, Ellis, Murray, New, New, Donaldson

Walker, Callachan, Anderson, New, New, New, New

Spence, New, New, Vaughn

What I'd be looking to have personally. On the assumption Graham, Mensing and Cardle all go.

Speaking of Cardle, have I been watching a different player to the rest of the Rovers support? Been very unimpressed by him. Tries relatively hard but his delivery is more often than not appaling, and his insistence on cutting inside from the left when everyone is in the box is infuriating. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent player... but over a season I don't think he'd contribute as much as Grant Anderson.

Assuming a squad of seventeen/eighteen players again:

McGurn, Laidlaw

Thomson, Ellis, Murray, New, New, Donaldson

Walker, Callachan, Anderson, New, New, New, New

Spence, New, New, Vaughn

What I'd be looking to have personally. On the assumption Graham, Mensing and Cardle all go.

Speaking of Cardle, have I been watching a different player to the rest of the Rovers support? Been very unimpressed by him. Tries relatively hard but his delivery is more often than not appaling, and his insistence on cutting inside from the left when everyone is in the box is infuriating. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent player... but over a season I don't think he'd contribute as much as Grant Anderson.

Your ditching Clarke?

Bare in mind that vaughn is a midfielder as well.

As for cardle, he obviously has a technical ability above pretty much anyone in our team as well as being quite hard working. Could do with going outside more often than he does but then that's part of the appeal of the player: he'd be perfect in a 4-2-3-1 type formation.

Your ditching Clarke?

Absolutely. He's had a poor season at best and is on a full-time wage. Part-time strikers like Lister, Prunty, McKenzie, Coult and Stewart would've done just as good or a better job. Loanees such as May and Moore have been better too - definitely a better bet than Clarke.

Absolutely. He's had a poor season at best and is on a full-time wage. Part-time strikers like Lister, Prunty, McKenzie, Coult and Stewart would've done just as good or a better job. Loanees such as May and Moore have been better too - definitely a better bet than Clarke.

A similar point i made on a different topic, When you look at some of our full-time players this season Walker,Clarke,Hamill for example have they performed better than the part-time players of other teams IMO no! so maybe it would be more benefical for the Rovers to sign the best part-time players about because they seam to be more value for money.

I'd get rid of Walker but I wouldn't mind keeping Hamill, he's proven that when he's not played in left midfield that he's actually a decent player.

Maybe him playing decent is something to do with his contract being about to expire. We were warned when he signed that this would happen

Maybe him playing decent is something to do with his contract being about to expire. We were warned when he signed that this would happen

Fair point but a lot of his criticism came when he was put out at left midfield which he quite clearly isn't suited to. If we gave him even a one year deal and played him in a LWB or CM position he'd be better in my opinion.