The New Raith Rovers Thread

I know it's the rambling of a happy clapper but things really were tight between ourselves and the other teams last season, Livi aside.

I'm very happy with the way things are shaping up at the moment. Hopefully McGlynn will have a few loanee aces up his sleeve to supplement what already looks like a decent squad.

Yeah, but I feel like we were always two or three bodies away from staying with the pack last year. A big problem we had was a total lack of width for large parts of the year, partly becuase Hammill just couldn't play there, partly because Walker is not a natural winger and partly becuase neither full back was going to bomb forward.

Add to that a lack of decent striking options at the start of the season, with only Baird an unfit Graham and Reynolds and our squad just wasn't fit for purpose.

By the end of the season we had Thomson finally giving us the attacking presence from right back that had been a huge part of our strategy when we had Craig Wilson, an out and out winger in Jamie Walker and Clarke and Casalinouvo providing cover for Baird and Graham (now fit) and we looked transformed. It wasn't a huge amount of differences. It was one or two guys that just balanced the team out better.

So far McG has brought Thomson back and in Malone we hopefully have a left back with more confidence to get forward than Dyer did. By bringing in Clarke we have a very natural finisher (which is something we haven't had in a while - I include Baird and Tade in that) and we can only hope that Graham brings his form from the tail end of last year on into the new season.

So I don't think it's too much to be applauding McG for bringing large parts of the squad back. Alan Walker is versatile, and does chip in with goals - a perfectly solid player for this level. We know that Hill, Ellis and Murray are comfortable at this level.

What McG does next will give us an idea of where we'll be in terms of aspirations, we will need another out and out winger and more cover for the attack - and hopefully we can get Davo back.

To be honest, our team is good enough to be pushing for at least mid-table. I think it's got to be a priority that we add some pace though, it'd be extremely beneficial as shown when we added Jamie Walker to our team.

Add to that a lack of decent striking options at the start of the season, with only Baird an unfit Graham and Reynolds and our squad just wasn't fit for purpose.

Reynolds, blimey, I'd forgotten about him already.

Would it be unkind to fetch up the shit strikers thread?

Anyhow. Is it possible, in the absence of any other signings, that Donaldson will be given a chance somewhere across midfield?

Hard to believe that, with such a small squad, we'd restrict two players to right-back only. And he's a promising player, for all that he went off the boil a bit during the season.

Reynolds, blimey, I'd forgotten about him already.

Would it be unkind to fetch up the shit strikers thread?

From his Wiki

He was well known for his heading ability and his finishing.

laugh.gif

To be fair to him, he didn't get much of a chance but his running style was atrocious, he ran like how you'd imagine a T-Rex to run.

From his Wiki

laugh.gif

To be fair to him, he didn't get much of a chance but his running style was atrocious, he ran like how you'd imagine a T-Rex to run.

Did he not score in the only game he started, rounding the keeper if I remember rightly?

I'm delighted that Allan Walker has re-signed. I was really quite afraid that we were going to lose the "heart and soul" of the squad, and that John McGlynn would have to work at teaching a whole new bunch of players "his way" of thinking, but there's a real continuity coming on from last season.

When you think that everyone was almost certainly offered reduced terms, it's excellent to see so many opting to carry on. As much as there are less and less jobs going on decent wages in Scottish football, a lot of our guys could've easily found another club in this division to at least match last season's wages, and while I wouldn't dream of criticising those who have chosen to move on, those who have stayed deserve a lot of recognition.

Unless we concede early on in a pre-season friendly, in which case they can f**k off.

Anyhow. Is it possible, in the absence of any other signings, that Donaldson will be given a chance somewhere across midfield?

Hes actually got a decent cross in him. Right side of midfield with Walker and Hammil in the middle? J

ust needs us signing a left sided midfielder and using the kids for cover.

Welcome back "square go" Walker, that episode was a bit silly, however he took his medicine and was quickly forgiven.

Nothing wrong with passion when it's properly chanelled.

In fact, I'm pleased so many of the guys have shown loyalty to the cub in re-signing

If Jamie Walker re-signs with us, then I'd happily cover myself in maroon body paint and run down Leith Walk, stopping off at Easter Road to spray paint in red "Gorgie rules" on the wall....I'd love to see the boy back in a Rovers shirt next season! He was ridiculous towards the end of the season.

As a previous poster suggested 4-3-3 may not be such a silly idea. Especially if Davo re-signs. That would mean we are one striker away from a solid starting 11. I remember when we played with Weir, Smith and Wales up front, that was quality.

Edited by Enigma

Guessing Donaldson may be used more as cover at left back but may well be we may try him in midfield as we seem well stocked in defence now barring suspensions and injuries

As mentioned i think that the rest of our signings may be loan based, tho hoping for a shock McGlynn signing that can add a little excitement to pre season, priority would be a winger and another striker then we are fit to go. Would like to see more but cant image we will bring in more than 2 unless Davo doesnt resign

McGlynn always sets up 4-4-2, by choice.

Sure, there've been times we've diverged from it, the 4-3-3 for a while mentioned above, and his first season when we had a good run with three centre-backs and Wilson and Pelosi at wing-back. But those were both fortuitous accidents, he's always planned for and started each season with 4-4-2 (as far as I can think, anyway).