The New Raith Rovers Thread

According to Matt Elder on twitter, a player is expected in at Starks today to sign on the dotted line. Reckon it will be Walker getting tied down for another year, but never know.

Would think Davo would be more likely than Walker resigning on part time terms....

Agree what was said about wingers tho, McGlynn seems to have a bee in his bonnet about playing 4 center mids and no wingers, tho you see the impact Walker had when he joined on loan. Even if we had 1 "runner" on the wing ie Walker and another McGlynn esq signing (can play in more than one position) who isnt naturally a winger but a bit of pace out there we would be looking good

To be fair, our CM options at the moment are Callaghan, Murray and Hamil; one unproven youngster, an emergency CM and a player who I have seen no shred of evidence suggesting he would make a decent CM.

My prediction is that Joe Hamil will be playing LM for us next season. Whilst that is annoying, I would rather he wasn't put in the middle - he's been poor whenever I've seen him play there, and his tendency to drift out the game is probably a bit less likely to harm us out wide.

The bottom line is that we need CMs, as well as players to play wide. Knowing the way that McGlynn plays, expect to see no wingers, or maybe one at a push. We won't sign two of them, that's for sure.

Edited by Michael W

To be fair, our CM options at the moment are Callaghan, Murray and Hamil; one unproven youngster, an emergency CM and a player who I have seen no shred of evidence suggesting he would make a decent CM.

My prediction is that Joe Hamil will be playing LM for us next season. Whilst that is annoying, I would rather he wasn't put in the middle - he's been poor whenever I've seen him play there, and his tendency to drift out the game is probably a bit less likely to harm us out wide.

The bottom line is that we need CMs, as well as players to play wide. Knowing the way that McGlynn plays, expect to see no wingers, or maybe one at a push. We won't sign two of them, that's for sure.

Last time we had a proper left winger was Smith. As long as we have at least one positive outlet on one flank

at least we have a strong back line hopefully get 1 of the 2 resigned, maybe another midfielder signed and a loanee

Happy with this news, he's been a good solid midfielder for us. Hopefully he can score another beautiful equaliser against the Pars this time round, or perhaps better, the winner this time wink.gif.

So our team is currently

McGurn

Laidlaw

Ellis

Hill

Murray

Wilson

Malone

Thomson

Donaldson

Callachan

Walker

Vaughn

Hamill

Graham

Clarke

If we could put out that team each week I'd fancy us to be up there towards the end of the season....

Is Davo, a couple of wingers and a striker too much to ask for? Delighted that Walker is back. He wasn't as inspiring as the season before, but if he's still got experience at this level.

He Davidson signs a new deal I can see the squad being supplemented by the signing of a wide player and a forward and that'll be us done.

If we could put out that team each week I'd fancy us to be up there towards the end of the season....

Not sure about that. We still lack width, and I'm a bit unsure with the middle of the park in terms of who will break up play. If we can re-sign Davo, get Jamie Walker and another forward, then I'd say we should be looking to try to make as positive a start to the season as possible. It really is hard to judge how form can come into play in the future though. Nobody anticipated last season (2010/2011) as a result of a positive start where we never ended up tailing away from the leaders.

Well, obviously - we'd have two goalkeepers on the park and a seven man backline.....

Yep, its the time for that pre-season optimism indeed. A good bit of continuity from the side that finished the season so strongly. Malone for Dyer, no Jamie Walker and maybe no Davidson - although he missed some of our better results anyway, e.g. Falkirk away. Could end up signing regardless though.

So yeah, a couple of wingers and a small, fast striker please. If Davidson doesn't sign another centre mid will be required too. Happy to see Allan Walker stay, I didn't think he would. Much like people like Ellis, McGurn and McGlynn though it's good to see some passion for the club shining through,

Edited by Paco

I guess outsiders might be a bit bemused at us being so happy re-signing so many of the players after last season, but once again that's great news.

I guess outsiders might be a bit bemused at us being so happy re-signing so many of the players after last season, but once again that's great news.

I know it's the rambling of a happy clapper but things really were tight between ourselves and the other teams last season, Livi aside.

I'm very happy with the way things are shaping up at the moment. Hopefully McGlynn will have a few loanee aces up his sleeve to supplement what already looks like a decent squad.

Next season is shaping up well so far, the dead wood has been cut and the players who played such a huge part in keeping us up have mostly been retained. We do need a central midfielder (hopefully Davidson), a wide man, a striker and some loanees to pad it out but I'm optimistic.