The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm quite surprised Hill rejected a larger offer, particularly when the word 'reluctantly' was thrown in to the news item on our website confirming his deal. Good on him, though; plenty of others would have taken the extra money. Then again, he has a trade behind him, so he should be able to make up his loss of earnings easily enough.

Absolutely delighted to see that McGurn is staying - losing him would have been an even bigger loss than Baird.

With Laurie staying, it looks like our defence is pretty much complete. Midfielders and strikers are now what's required, and I would say we need (budget permitting):

2x strikers

2x wide midfielders

2x central midfielders (unlike the other positions specified, these may filled from contracts offered)

We won't manage that, but that's just the way of it. I think the 'wide midfielders' won't materialise, and we'll sign one striker.

For me, so far it's.

Gk - Mcgurn

Rb - Donaldson

Cb - Murray

Cb - hill

Lb - Malone.

Rm - ?

Cm - hamill

Cm - callachan

Lm - ?

Fw - Graham

Fw - ?

I would think with the budget we have you may see Laurie in at centre half and Murray in midfield with Hammil out wide again :(

I'm quite surprised Hill rejected a larger offer, particularly when the word 'reluctantly' was thrown in to the news item on our website confirming his deal. Good on him, though; plenty of others would have taken the extra money. Then again, he has a trade behind him, so he should be able to make up his loss of earnings easily enough.

I wonder if Hill feels that he's more likely to find a route back into full time football playing at a higher level for us than blundering about in the bottom half of div 2 with Brechin.

Ok, I'll go ahead and be the negative one;

I'm not convinced by re-signing both Hill and Ellis. Last season we lacked a commanding centre half who could attack the ball at set pieces, That one flaw alone massively contributed to us fighting relegation until the last gasp of the season. We'd have been better signing one of them and using the funds from the other to try and get someone else in.

I'm glad McGurn and Ellis have re signed, but Hill is a strange one. He's too prone to diving in at the wrong times for my liking. That, and his tendancy to get caught miles out of position leaves me feeling positively uneasy with him at centre half.

Thanks to those players that have left - obviously sorry to see Baird go but understand why. Dyer did okay for us too, as did Williamson at times - though he always looked like he was capable of playing better than he ever actually did. Feel a bit sorry for McBride, I wasn't really inspired by the signing at the time but he's been very unlucky, hope he's able to resurrect his career somewhere. Casa leaves having given us at least one more great memory to add to that of his previous spell.

Malone should be a decent replacement at left-back. Haven't seen so much of him at Ayr but always liked him at Dundee. (If memory serves, he was happy enough to drop down to part-time footie 'cause he works at the family butchers, or something like that.)

Great news about Hill, Ellis, McGurn, they've shown us a loyalty beyond anything we had any right to expect (as Ellis especially has done for a long time now). I hope something can be sorted with at least one (and preferably both) of Walker and Davidson now, but as with Baird, I'd entirely understand if they choose to move on.

We'll be alright, I reckon.

Ok, I'll go ahead and be the negative one;

I'm not convinced by re-signing both Hill and Ellis. Last season we lacked a commanding centre half who could attack the ball at set pieces, That one flaw alone massively contributed to us fighting relegation until the last gasp of the season. We'd have been better signing one of them and using the funds from the other to try and get someone else in.

This would apply if you knew how the board has structured the budget, McGlynn has his hands tied and given Hill's decision to be loyal, I'm glad we have retained Hill.

Last seasons buzz word, was "budget slashed", this season coming, the budget is like paring a ba' hair with a razor blade, let's give McGlynn a chance with the budget he has this season, or else next season will be like taking the budget and splitting the atom.

[/b]

This would apply if you knew how the board has structured the budget, McGlynn has his hands tied and given Hill's decision to be loyal, I'm glad we have retained Hill.

Last seasons buzz word, was "budget slashed", this season coming, the budget is like paring a ba' hair with a razor blade, let's give McGlynn a chance with the budget he has this season, or else next season will be like taking the budget and splitting the atom.

Of course a huge part of my post was based on conjecture regarding the budget but I'm pretty confident in my analysis. My reckoning is that our centre halves for the season will be 2 from Hill, Ellis and Murray with no funds to bring in anyone else in that position. I'd rather have released one of them and attempted to bring in someone better in the air.

I'm glad McGurn and Ellis have re signed, but Hill is a strange one. He's too prone to diving in at the wrong times for my liking. That, and his tendancy to get caught miles out of position leaves me feeling positively uneasy with him at centre half.

He was a lot more solid towards the end of the season when he got a proper run in the side free from injury. Howler at Falkirk aside, of course. Our defence is however still far too left-footed. We simply cannot expect a first-pick defence of left-footers to be a success.

We also managed to keep just four clean sheets over the course of the season and it would seem we'll be going with the same players, with Malone replacing Dyer. That's without the bonus of Jason Thomson as well. Not sure that's wise. :unsure:

He was a lot more solid towards the end of the season when he got a proper run in the side free from injury. Howler at Falkirk aside, of course. Our defence is however still far too left-footed. We simply cannot expect a first-pick defence of left-footers to be a success.

We also managed to keep just four clean sheets over the course of the season and it would seem we'll be going with the same players, with Malone replacing Dyer. That's without the bonus of Jason Thomson as well. Not sure that's wise. :unsure:

So we'd be ok with 4 right footers or 3 right footers and a left footer.

No logic there.

No logic there.

Four right footers? No. I wouldn't like that at all. We could make do with three right footers and a left footer, and vice versa. Most teams do.

Donaldson was rightly praised for his performances early on in the season but how many times did he get a direct assist? I can't think of any. The way we play, or at least previously have played, under McGlynn's rigid 4-4-2 relies on at least one full-back with the ability to carry the ball forward at speed. Reece just couldn't do that, because his natural preference is to cut back inside and pass the ball. Not really any fault of his, he's left-footed and isn't hugely confident/capable at hitting the bye-line and crossing on his right foot. Him stopping slows attacks and it was often a striker who collected the ball from him, and we're then meandering around the last third with nobody or one man in the box. It's the major reason we scored so little until February.

It's no coincidence that Jason Thomson, clumsy as a defender, came in and thrived under our system, just as it's no surprise Craig Wilson for four and a half of his five years with us looked a cut above us but now finds himself facing the prospect of a release by Forfar Athletic. We're an ideal set-up for an attacking full-back. Being a left-footer on the right-hand side, or vice versa if we're being picky, is a huge handicap to that.

You need balance in a back four and I'm not sure we've got it. Full-backs should never be underestimated - look at Arsenal's form when they were playing centre backs and midfielders there earlier this season - but in our system with a narrow midfield they're fairly essential.

Edit: There are times I like to look at my life and re-evaluate my priorities. I'm sitting on the internet at 1 o'clock on a Saturday morning debating the merits of an unorthodox all left-footed back four in a rigid 4-4-2 system with you bunch of weirdos. This is one of these occasions where I wonder where the fuck I'm headed.

You can tell I've got an exam on Monday....

Edited by Paco

No logic there.

There is an underlying logic behind it. Probability suggests that the majority of players running at the defence will be right footed and it's much harder to tackle someone who's stronger on their right if you're stronger on your left.

It doesn't make a massive amount of difference, but given the choice between an all right-footed back four and an all left-footed back four, you'd be daft not to take the righties.

Delighted with the guys who have signed up again for the coming season, with McGlynn set to speak to the rest of the players who have been offered terms this weekend. I'd suggest - and I hope I'm wrong - that if Davidson and Walker need to be 'chased up' by McGlynn, then they will probably be looking to move on.

Hope Davo re-signs. Walker was way off the pace last season and my fear is that if both accept new terms we will be back playing Hamill on the left where he is completely anonymous. Davo and Hamill in the centre with Murray in the back 4 is a better option.

Oh, and lets get jason thomson signed up before someone else does!