The New Raith Rovers Thread

The thing is, even an extra £50 a week is an extra £2500 a year. With the sort of money players at this level are likely to be on, that's a lot of money. You can also put it forward that his travel costs may reduce depending on where he moves, so again that's beneficial to him.

Putting the money argument aside, Baird is one of the best players in the league. He deserves a shot at the SPL, or at the very least a side likely to be there abouts at the top end. I'm afraid we aren't going to be able to offer him that.

I really hope he doesn't sign for the Pars. :(

I have good contacts within the club and i have been informed that Bairdy has two offers on the table both of which are not much better than he has here. Where there`s hope etc. Mind you its a long break for agents to get their act in gear.

Just read on Baird`s twitter that he`s off to Magaluf with Brian Graham. Here`s hoping Brian gets some sneaky photo`s of him and tells him he`s going to put them on the net unless he sign`s for next year :lol:

I have good contacts within the club and i have been informed that Bairdy has two offers on the table both of which are not much better than he has here. Where there`s hope etc. Mind you its a long break for agents to get their act in gear.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain we are one of those clubs.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain we are one of those clubs.

Surely he doesn't want to work with Pressley tongue.gif.

Be sad to see Baird go but hes done a great job for us and if he chooses to move on the best of luck to him. Would prefer he moved to the SPL or he will score against us next year

Return to part-time/full-time mix next season

Pretty much as we expected. We need to cut our cloth, and it's going to be tough losing some players who've been here a while.

Its a sensible move by the board, the only problem is possibly another relegation battle next season. It will be interesting to see who we keep on a full time contract.

McGurn is a must. Even on Saturday he made a couple of superb saves. Would like to see Damien stay but perhaps a slightly more mobile Baird style player would suit Brian Graham more. Hope that we keep Davo and Alan Walker too.

I'd agree with this. This McGurn is most likely going to stay as he is part time already and on the surface seems content at the Rovers.

I'd agree with this. This McGurn is most likely going to stay as he is part time already and on the surface seems content at the Rovers.

Hopefully!

You might even see a couple of the current full-timers revert to PT for a season or two. Depends if they can get other clubs and whatnot. I would have loved to see us keep Jason Thomson, but I'm now thinking it's very unlikely. We can't justify 'breaking the bank' for a player, so to speak.

Dunfermline. :lol:

Hopefully!

You might even see a couple of the current full-timers revert to PT for a season or two. Depends if they can get other clubs and whatnot. I would have loved to see us keep Jason Thomson, but I'm now thinking it's very unlikely. We can't justify 'breaking the bank' for a player, so to speak.

Dunfermline. :lol:

Yeah I can't see how we'd be able to attract players like Thomson or Casa under the new structure.

All will become clearer over the next few days no doubt.

On a brighter note, I thought Jamie Walker's quotes in the courier today left the door at least slightly open for a return next season.

Whatever and whoever represents Raith Rovers next season will do so in the certain knowledge that money isn't going to be the motivating factor. I would argue that this season has also turned out that way - albeit that it seems to have taken some players to fully appreciate the fact.... but once they did, we got to see a proper display of TEAM work !

Many clubs are staring down the barrel of financial uncertainty and the clubs that manage to gather together a group of players whose motivation isn't solely money are going to be in prime position to do well. It's kind of like starting a football club from the beginning in a way. Keep the expectations realistic and we will still be able to enjoy life in this division...cool.gif

It may have been said before but f we do go part time and it looks inevitable will we be the highest placed/biggest club that is part time? If so that has to be a draw for the best players who don't want to go pro

Willie Dyer just posted on twitter that he'd like to thank all the raith fans for their support over the last two years and best of luck next season. He'll be away then. Disappointed to see him go to be honest.

Willie Dyer just posted on twitter that he'd like to thank all the raith fans for their support over the last two years and best of luck next season. He'll be away then. Disappointed to see him go to be honest.

I'm also quite surprised at how disappointed I am at the news too. I'm not keen on his tendency for the hoofball option, but he was a solid defender at this level, which was proved especially last season in our title challenge.

I'm worried that there's not many left backs out there in our budget range that are any better than him.

Edited by St. Starko

Just seen that myself. Maybe he's got something else lined up?

Two months ago I'd have happily got rid of him, but I thought he had a good end to the season. Donaldson to LB next season?

Sadly, I fear he is the first of many. :(

Edited by Michael W

I'm also quite surprised at how disappointed I am at the news too. I'm not keen on his tendency for the hoofball option, but he was a solid defender at this level, which was proved especially last season in our title challenge.

I'm worried that there's not many left backs out there in our budget range that are any better than him.

Reece Donaldson is a left footer, shift him over and sign Jason Thomson.

We'll be lucky to find any left back anywhere who wants to play behind Joe Hamill.

Good luck to Dyer if he is off. He was solid enough I suppose. There are better left backs out there but whether any of them will come to us remains to be seen.