The New Raith Rovers Thread

If it's going to take him three goes again I'd rather we gave someone else a chance. If we go down he'll have failed and his time will definitely be up.

It didn't take him 3 attempts though, there's no way the season he took over us the board would ask for promotion

I have a theory as to the drop in form. The board came out and said we lost money from paying too many win bonuses. The players have lost the grit and hard work they were putting in last year - perhaps a lack of motivation.

I reckon the board have either stopped, or cut back, win bonus and it is affecting the players form. The season Dunfermline got relegated and came runners up in the Scottish cup there were rumours bonuses were only being paid in cup games, shows how it affects performance.

Anyone who has ever worked for a company about to close will understand that it is too easy too sit back and not give a toss about the job in hand or the company they work for so, given the clubs' publicly stated financial difficulties and the likelyhood of heading back to part-time status it is no surprise that the players feel demotivated but - given that they are still PROFESSIONAL footballers - you would like to think they have some self pride and would be trying to showcase their talents as such to potentially win contracts at other clubs should they be released or the club relegated ?

Paco is right - sod going to these other places if we can avoid it. Only problem is those in charge of the production line clearly don't give a damn and are probably falsifying their CV's with glowing tributes to ensure employment at some other rival 'company'

Message to our players: Put up a proper fight - or piss off and let others give it a go....dry.gif

On field problems and dwindling crowds are down to one thing and thats piss poor tactics and continually playing players out of position. OK 2 things. On field problems and dwindling crowds are down to 2 things (..........wheres Michael Palin? ).

Most of our first team pros were part of the squad last season that over achieved and ran Dunfermline close for the title.

We've brought some of the best teenagers in the SPL to the club - players who Hearts fans really rate. They all have looked very capable. Yet they've fitted right in with the rest of our dross - with the exception of the Hamilton game ie before they were "McGlynn-ised".

The only things that have changed are our managers unwillingness to try something different and to persevere with the same tactics - expecting there to be a different result. He's either lost it - or he never really had it in the first place.

Edited by p&b is a disgrace

What I don't get is, we've been absolutely awful to watch for years (ask anyone else in this league - we're 'hammer throwers') yet it's only now that we're bottom of the league (a massive 1 point behind Ayr and QoS) that people are concerned.

I have noted that we're shit to watch for years now, but the general response is along the lines of 'fucks sake, we're not Barca' (well, Duh). All I've ever wanted was to watch football that was at least an attempt to be entertaining rather than just defensive, hard-to-beat pish that would get football stopped.

The success of recent seasons has kept the '3 points is all that matters/we're no Barca' brigade happy, but now we've hit a bit of trouble and strife, it's 'sack McGlynn'. :rolleyes:

Regardless if our form shows absolutely no sign of improvement between now and the season's end?

Yup, regardless.

Firstly, I'm more interested in who's the best man for the job from hereon than in what's happened up to now. And regardless of the fact that some of his decision's last summer haven't worked out I still have more confidence in him for future decisions than in anyone else we might get in.

Additionally, I think taking any uncertainty out of the equation and making it clear his job is under no threat is the best way of giving him the means to do the job in any case.

If his contract IS up at the end of the season - and we are relegated - then i'm afraid you can add me to the list of fans wanting a change of manager. You can't expect a guy who has a whole season at the helm and gets you relegated to be offered another contract when his present one runs out can you?

He still has my support at the moment though. We need to remember we're not down yet; there are still a variety of shit teams in this league so let's try and, ahem, get right behind the Roverrrrrs!

there are still a variety of shit teams in this league so let's try and, ahem, get right behind the Roverrrrrs!

It just so happens that we're shitter than the plethora of shit teams in this league. The Don, has probably told the players not to win anymore games or they'll be sleeping with the fishes.:P

If his contract IS up at the end of the season - and we are relegated - then i'm afraid you can add me to the list of fans wanting a change of manager. You can't expect a guy who has a whole season at the helm and gets you relegated to be offered another contract when his present one runs out can you?

I think you can, particularly if there's nobody better who can come in. With a tiny budget and a poor infrastructure, Raith Rovers aren't an appealing proposition. We're not going to attract someone with a track record of tactical nous. It's almost a straight shot between some ragged old has-been like Jocky Scott or an unproven young manager who's just finished his playing career.

New managers are incredibly hit and miss, as we're all aware. From everything we've heard, we won't find anyone who works harder than John McGlynn, and I'd rather utilise his experience than take the chance on a fresh-faced newborn who might bomb completely in handling a squad.

It feels natural in football to sack a manager if a team gets relegated, but in this case I think it's reactionary short-termism. The alternatives aren't there.

If I was a young manager, I'd rather go to someone like Stenhousemuir or Alloa than Raith Rovers. They've got alternative revenue streams, aren't completely debt laden and can support natural growth. Any Rovers manager is under pressure to get results and take us up first time, without spending any kind of money, whilst being constantly reminded that he probably won't even have this much next season, in addition to being tasked with trying to play "entertaining" football to boost attendances that are plummeting uncontrollably across the board.

In the case that we are relegated, I don't think there's anyone better than John McGlynn to bring us back up. And if there is, they'd be daft to try.

Have to agree with most of what Raith Against the Machine is saying.

I honestly think that John Mcglynn is by far and away the best man for the job ( long term) and cant believe some of the comments made against him. For me his only mistake is keeping the squad full time when we all knew in the close season that it was too small. But you cant blame the man for having ambition as its highly unlikely that a part time team would win the division and get promotion to the SPL. If he had taken the decision to go part time Im sure that the same people would have shot him down for lacking ambition.

I was on fan talk this morning for my weekly look through the raith tinted specs and cant believe some of the comments especially from the people who were going to buy £500 of shares then suddenly arent going to invest anymore. yeh yeh i believe you, just because we got beat of Ayr and Livi your not going to invest in your football club, yeh yeh of course you were going to buy those shares...............

Edited by honeyboy edwards

I was on fan talk this morning for my weekly look through the raith tinked specs and cant believe some of the comments especially from the people who were going to buy £500 of shares then suddenly arent going to invest anymore. yeh yeh i believe you, just because we got beat of Ayr and Livi your not going to invest in your football club, yeh yeh of course you were going to buy those shares...............

What utter drongos. Reminds me why I more or less gave up on Fantalk. A lot of sense being spoken on here. On balance going to the second division isn't exactly Armageddon but only if you can return in one or two seasons. When you get stick down there for longer it's utterly soul destroying. I'd much rather secure 8th this season then at least we'll hopefully have the Pars games next season.

What utter drongos. Reminds me why I more or less gave up on Fantalk. A lot of sense being spoken on here. On balance going to the second division isn't exactly Armageddon but only if you can return in one or two seasons. When you get stick down there for longer it's utterly soul destroying. I'd much rather secure 8th this season then at least we'll hopefully have the Pars games next season.

Thats the key for us next year. Crowds in the second division wouldn't really be much different to the crowds we have seen this year in the First. However the big difference would be if the Pars come down.

I was on fan talk this morning for my weekly look through the raith tinted specs and cant believe some of the comments especially from the people who were going to buy £500 of shares then suddenly arent going to invest anymore. yeh yeh i believe you, just because we got beat of Ayr and Livi your not going to invest in your football club, yeh yeh of course you were going to buy those shares...............

That will be me then! Yes I was going to buy £500 of shares for my son's Christmas. I have had a few e-mail exchanges with people on the Board about how to register them (given that he is under 16) and how it would work with the benefits. I am already a shareholder and have put money into the club each and every year for the last 5 years through player sponsorship, match sponsorship and just general donations.

If you want to cherry pick sound bites and make sweeping assumptions about people at least get your facts right. As I said on fantalk it was a present for my son. He is so dis-heartened with our current performances it would hardly be a welcome present any more. So no I won't be investing and the reason is pruley that the utter dross being served up has all but put my son off going with me each weekend.

If you want to cherry pick sound bites and make sweeping assumptions about people at least get your facts right.

Thats the norm for here graeme.They cherry pick post or parts of posts from fantalk then pop over here to try and give it a royal slagging

A lot of sense being spoken on here

Maybe on here but...

That will be me then! Yes I was going to buy £500 of shares for my son's Christmas. I have had a few e-mail exchanges with people on the Board about how to register them (given that he is under 16) and how it would work with the benefits. I am already a shareholder and have put money into the club each and every year for the last 5 years through player sponsorship, match sponsorship and just general donations.

If you want to cherry pick sound bites and make sweeping assumptions about people at least get your facts right. As I said on fantalk it was a present for my son. He is so dis-heartened with our current performances it would hardly be a welcome present any more. So no I won't be investing and the reason is pruley that the utter dross being served up has all but put my son off going with me each weekend.

Graeme, sounds like you do more than your bit for the club, so a big thumbs up there.

I just cant understand how defeats to Ayr and Livi would change your mind about giving £500 to the club. The football on offer since last season hasn't changed (with the exception of the Tade effect), the only change is the end results.

Fair enough. Everybody can choose what to do with their own money. The one thing I would say is that the club need as many members as possible to increase the finances. For me the scheme is not simply about whether the team are decent at the moment but about investing in the long term future of Raith Rovers (well not investing actually but donating more like). Your son is still a Rovers fan even if he isn't that keen on going to Starks Park on a Saturday. So I'd still buy him the shares. Or do what I did and got the £500 package for myself and the less expensive ones for the family. There's a £125 option which still helps the club.

What I don't get is, we've been absolutely awful to watch for years (ask anyone else in this league - we're 'hammer throwers') yet it's only now that we're bottom of the league (a massive 1 point behind Ayr and QoS) that people are concerned.

I have noted that we're shit to watch for years now, but the general response is along the lines of 'fucks sake, we're not Barca' (well, Duh). All I've ever wanted was to watch football that was at least an attempt to be entertaining rather than just defensive, hard-to-beat pish that would get football stopped.

The success of recent seasons has kept the '3 points is all that matters/we're no Barca' brigade happy, but now we've hit a bit of trouble and strife, it's 'sack McGlynn'. :rolleyes:

The problem with winning ugly, as we'd done for a couple of seasons, is that when you stop winning it's just ugly. I genuinely wouldn't be overly worried if we were playing well enough but bottom. The fact is we're awful. We often don't even have a shot on target, as was the case on Saturday. That's inexcusable. It really could only be at Raith Rovers you can go from such highs to such lows in such a short period of time.

And in defence of graeme_p I understand where he's coming from, the shite we're playing just now makes me pretty disillusioned with the club so an impressionable kid would be worse I imagine. It may even have been his kid, no older than 10, sat behind me on Saturday who said to his old man "why don't the Raith Rovers players move a bit more, Dad?". Exactly, young man. Exactly.

Fair enough. Everybody can choose what to do with their own money. The one thing I would say is that the club need as many members as possible to increase the finances. For me the scheme is not simply about whether the team are decent at the moment but about investing in the long term future of Raith Rovers (well not investing actually but donating more like). Your son is still a Rovers fan even if he isn't that keen on going to Starks Park on a Saturday. So I'd still buy him the shares. Or do what I did and got the £500 package for myself and the less expensive ones for the family. There's a £125 option which still helps the club.

Exactly my point.

How can home defeats to Ayr and Livi suddenly change your mind?

It really could only be at Raith Rovers you can go from such highs to such lows in such a short period of time.

I think that's true of most First Division clubs. Look at Morton this season from fans feeling hopeful about a return to the SPL to in danger of getting dragged into the relegation batte if recent form continues. Or Falkirk from the misery of last season to a cup semi-final and second in the league. Or Lennon at Celtic from another Kilmarnock goal away from the sack to back to being the Messiah.

The reality was the last third of last season we were playing only slightly better than we were now. Tade and a slightly more solid defence made the difference in games.

There will always be ups and downs at clubs, ebbs and flows. The reason we're not used to it the last five years is because it's been pretty much an upward trajectory under McGlynn. Maybe we've gone soft or maybe I'm just an age where I'm used to the disappointment. There's still all to play for. Assuming we're as good as relegated is as daft as the Morton fans already looking forward to the SPL earlier in the season. Keep the faith!

Edited by roverthemoon

Graeme, sounds like you do more than your bit for the club, so a big thumbs up there.

I just cant understand how defeats to Ayr and Livi would change your mind about giving £500 to the club. The football on offer since last season hasn't changed (with the exception of the Tade effect), the only change is the end results.

The fact is because the product is so poor my son (despite my best efforts) has very little desire to be at the Rovers. The shares were a present for him to try and encourage him to be part of the club for the future. They will never have any real value but it would have given him something tangible to hang on the wall and say "thats my club", "I am a part of that".

Each Saturday he is getting more miserable and more frustrated. He barely enjoys the games. Therefore I am not sure he would even take any pride in this as a present anymore.

As I said on FT here are a list of questions I have had from him since the Falkirk away game.

"why do they not learn from last weeks mistakes?"

"How will we score with no-one in the box?"

"Don't the player realise Baird is not tall enough to get that ball"

"Why do the players walk about and not run like the other team" admittedly that was before the Hearts players arrived.

"If we have so many defenders how come none of them get the ball" first half against livi when they flashed a free header wide.

I can see that he is losing interest. There will be many more people just the same. If the board/players/management don't turn things round then we will be losing fans and future fans possibly for years to come.